• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Limits on Disc Design

I think the biggest (practical) changes we would see are weights and stiffness. Perhaps different materials. Carbon fiber? Discs with metal inserts molded into the rim? Things along those lines. Rims will get huge, putters will get heavy!

Rims will get huge as in we will see speed 16, 17, 18..... discs or are you thinking along the lines of what salient did and made a large diameter distance driver. For both, I dont think they would actually be utilized. Salients disc flopped in that it didnt actually go further like they claimed and the Gateway Ninja (not PDGA approved) also didnt really show more distance or accuracy gains.

I just imagined a modular disc with an interchangeable rim. Something that could either clip in to the disc or screw on somehow. One disc that could be a putter, mid range, or driver... I would call it the quark

Last edited:
You could possibly have some sort of slot in the rim with a tension band that was right enough to only allow them to extend at speed.

I like this train of thought. The disc naturally forms or deforms depending on how hard it is thrown.

I want a small pneumatic device in my discs that enables me to beep the disc when it is lost like my iphone

I've thought it would be cool for distance drivers to be composed of three parts: a molded 'lip' for gripping, a stretchy latex 'flight plate' material that could be printed any way you like, in cheap quantities, and often replaced, and an overmolded 'rim' that snaps the latex onto the lip. Yes, it would not have a 'solid' flight plate, but would not have a 'hole', technically. It would be a hybrid that might have the distance of the aerobee ring. Practically all the weight would be in the rim. Talk about 'gyro'! It would be the only way I could throw some of the distances courses are moving toward these days!

Seeing as you want spin, like the more spin the better, some kind of gyroscopic element that amplifies the spin you naturally put on the disc, built into the rim of the disc perhaps? I'm picturing a ball bearing in a metal tube kind of thing?

Somewhat related:
Move more weight to the rim, but maybe if the top flight plate was made out of some superlight mesh if that's lighter than the standard plastic flight plate? Another way to move more weight to the edge and help keep the thing spinning longer.

Last edited:
Seeing as you want spin, like the more spin the better, some kind of gyroscopic element that amplifies the spin you naturally put on the disc, built into the rim of the disc perhaps?

Somewhat related:
Move more weight to the rim, but maybe if the top flight plate was made out of some superlight mesh if that's lighter than the standard plastic flight plate? Another way to move more weight to the edge and help keep the thing spinning longer.

Have an internal fidget spinner or gyroscope to keep it stable.

Some old discer on Facebook told a story about the world record throw of an Aerobie.

All the contestants there had thrown when a disc golfer stepped up and threw his twice as far as the longest throw that day.

BUT, the throw was so far the Aerobie was never found after a 2 hour search so the world record was awarded to the 2nd place throw by a non-disc golfer.

;)

608474ae86e09a5784c031775baa2e88f85eace3.gifv

My daughter has a toy Frisbee that transforms into a ball when it hits something. It personally wouldn't be great to play with but its an interesting concept.

Rims will get huge as in we will see speed 16, 17, 18..... discs or are you thinking along the lines of what salient did and made a large diameter distance driver. For both, I dont think they would actually be utilized. Salients disc flopped in that it didnt actually go further like they claimed and the Gateway Ninja (not PDGA approved) also didnt really show more distance or accuracy gains.

Gateway Ninja or a prototype was approved at some point, Nikko one of the craziest aces conceivable at West Lake Park during The Rumble in the Quad Cities a few years back with one. They must have a some type of super late turn like a distance driver QJLS.

To txmxer's credit, you could make the disc heavy enough that it might as well be a rock when throwing it.

Keep these heavier discs to make putting, especially in the wind, a breeze.

I wonder how heavy you could get before your start to see diminishing returns

The Return of THE WHEEL!!!!

Seriously though... for the most part, outside of the MVP discs, a Boss and maybe an Ape hear or there, pros aren't really using the currently available 13 and 14 speed discs. So why would they use 15, 16 or 17s?...

If there were no PDGA guidelines on disc design, what would discs look like today?
Would they look all that different from what we use currently?

An inflatable sphere disc shaped like a miniature basketball for the circle 1 putts.

To txmxer's credit, you could make the disc heavy enough that it might as well be a rock when throwing it.

Keep these heavier discs to make putting, especially in the wind, a breeze.

Haha I got a hearty chuckle from that. I think Gateway already stole your idea with the training Wizard though

Latest posts