• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'non golfer' course etiquette

Good to know.

Let's be perfectly honest: the chance of hitting people with discs is very small. ...

Would you say it is a smaller chance that getting impaled by a Jart was?

Attachments

• jartdeath.jpg
    jartdeath.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 63
As an unofficial custodian of a new course, I feel obligated to let the uninformed know what's up. No reason is risk injury.

A simple 'Beware of flying discs' seems to work almost always, and often leads to recruiting a new player or two. If not, at least the non-players know the score and can react accordingly.

Well, the newest course they put in by me is right next to (and probably takes up some room from what used to be) dog walking trails. Very common to see peeps walking around on a couple of fairways and in front of pins with their dogs as part of the path literally goes through DG territory. Not well thought out on the part of the town that put in the course as there are enough empty areas they could have put the course in. Though there are definite signs that state that it is a disc golf course and dogs are not allowed on the course (these signs seem to be universally ignored by dog owners who think they own ALL the parks and courses). One of our first times out on this course 2 women were with their dogs and literally standing directly in front of the pin we were about 150 feet from. We patiently waited a few minutes on the ignoramuses to move while fantasizing about a hard driver being delivered right at them. We think this is a way the dog walkers are getting back at people playing in "their old territory". Also not uncommon to see piles of dog sh*t lying along the fairway.

And, just a week ago at a favorite course I am finishing up the 12th hole. As I get ready to walk to the 13th tee 2 morons (including a man-bun type) come out of nowhere and walk right up to the 13th tee and start to throw. They were nowhere to be seen previously. I told them it was rather ignorant behavior where I come from and proceeded to let the chukkers (which they were) throw. Now they get up by the pin on 13 and instead of just holing out and moving on they start to throw several discs each back and forth at the pin. I waited a bit and teed off myself. Walking to my lie I notice they are still futzing around up by the pin, ergo I take my approach with all intention of purposely nailing one of them. THEN they get done and come walking down from 13 pin back the way they went up there (almost right in front of me) and proceed to go to 11th tee and start chukking over there. Most people on the course are cool but once in a while you run into a couple of fools who have no idea of course etiquette. Some cases like the above one do call for a harsh lesson to be taught at times.

It's a good thing, Chaz, that your approach skills are as poor as your human relations skills. You could have bruised someone.

These situations are not complicated. Be courteous. Get on with it. Even if you are on a disc golf course, your activity is no more important or legitimate than anyone else's.

No amount of warning signs can fix bad course design.

No amount of warning signs, bright colors, or giant neon arrows with flashing lights larger than any Hollywood marquis anyone has ever seen will make people read signage.

Yes, I did work for 3 years in a customer service role at a zoo. Why do you ask?

It's a good thing, Chaz, that your approach skills are as poor as your human relations skills. You could have bruised someone.

These situations are not complicated. Be courteous. Get on with it. Even if you are on a disc golf course, your activity is no more important or legitimate than anyone else's.

Ignorance is ignorance buddy. How would you know what my approach skills are like to begin with? Maybe the morons needed a bruising. Ignorance seems to be a virtue to some people now a days. Nothing wrong with handing out some lessons.

What is the protocol here? The course is in a park that has a lot of running trails and paved bike paths. Is it common for people to use a disc golf courses for running and walking??

Always, Always, Always assume that people who are doing things like this have zero idea that disc golf is even a sport - let alone have any clue why there'd be paths back in the woods other than to run/bike on.

Be patient, and be kind - be a good representation of the sport. If they are moving along just wait for them to get out of the way, if they are taking their sweet time approach them in a friendly manner and let them know what is/could be going on around them so they don't get hurt.

Ignorance is ignorance buddy. How would you know what my approach skills are like to begin with? Maybe the morons needed a bruising. Ignorance seems to be a virtue to some people now a days. Nothing wrong with handing out some lessons.

The morons hand out lessons too:

Well, the newest course they put in by me is right next to (and probably takes up some room from what used to be) dog walking trails. Very common to see peeps walking around on a couple of fairways and in front of pins with their dogs as part of the path literally goes through DG territory. Not well thought out on the part of the town that put in the course as there are enough empty areas they could have put the course in. Though there are definite signs that state that it is a disc golf course and dogs are not allowed on the course (these signs seem to be universally ignored by dog owners who think they own ALL the parks and courses). One of our first times out on this course 2 women were with their dogs and literally standing directly in front of the pin we were about 150 feet from. We patiently waited a few minutes on the ignoramuses to move while fantasizing about a hard driver being delivered right at them. We think this is a way the dog walkers are getting back at people playing in "their old territory". Also not uncommon to see piles of dog sh*t lying along the fairway.

And, just a week ago at a favorite course I am finishing up the 12th hole. As I get ready to walk to the 13th tee 2 morons (including a man-bun type) come out of nowhere and walk right up to the 13th tee and start to throw. They were nowhere to be seen previously. I told them it was rather ignorant behavior where I come from and proceeded to let the chukkers (which they were) throw. Now they get up by the pin on 13 and instead of just holing out and moving on they start to throw several discs each back and forth at the pin. I waited a bit and teed off myself. Walking to my lie I notice they are still futzing around up by the pin, ergo I take my approach with all intention of purposely nailing one of them. THEN they get done and come walking down from 13 pin back the way they went up there (almost right in front of me) and proceed to go to 11th tee and start chukking over there. Most people on the course are cool but once in a while you run into a couple of fools who have no idea of course etiquette. Some cases like the above one do call for a harsh lesson to be taught at times.

Really, it just comes down to acting like an adult. Understanding your feelings and impulses and having common courtesy and consideration for your fellow man. Your behavior is inappropriate and YOU sir are the worst problem of our game. Your inconsiderate actions and inability to act the part of an adult, is how courses get pulled and the reputation of the game is permanently sullied. :wall:

There is never an excuse to throw a disc in the direction of anyone you could possible hit. Never.

Home course has a moutain bike trails that shares some land with the DGC. It really only comes into play on a couple of holes. The beginning of one of the trail heads is right on hole six the trail its self is one of the routes to take if playing the back basket. But it is very visible most of the way to the basket shouldnt really have any troubles seeing riders. Tail on hole 10 parallels the fairway and crosses near the basket, if you are aware you shouldnt hit anyone you wont be able to see the riders but you should definately hear them. Trail crosses the park in other places, but normally right behind the teepad. They built the trails and the DGC at near the same time so there was input on both sides.

The courses I play most frequently are in shared parks. Sure, people get in the way sometimes. No big deal, as they have just as much right be in the park as I do. I just give folks a heads up that they are in the way and I don't want to hit them by accident. No reason to over-complicate things. The people I've run into always move without issue, and most thank me for the heads up. Honestly, I have experienced way more issues with other disc golfers being stupid/rude/oblivious than people using the park for walking, running, etc.

I had a dude walk right between me and the basket at valley view hole#16, According to him a disc golf course is a great place to have a picnic. And on that same hole a bunch of people playing pokemon go, standing in the middle of the fairway.

Yesterday I got to the #6 at Hiestand Park and was confronted by a gang of 4 "four and three quarter year old"
kindergartners charging the tee pad. Cleverly built teacher lagging behind. What a hoot. She was freakin a bit because
the kids were way too close to a STRANGER. She had no clue she was on a disc course.

I had spotted them earlier from the hilltop tee on #3, walking on the path across the creek and 500 feet away. Did I mention
she was cleverly built.

It was fun. The kids were going thru my bag looking at discs.... without asking first. The woman was horrified.:eek:
They had me laughing, all 4 talking at once and pulling my pant leg to get my attention
which didn't help her seize control of these reckless youths. I edified them on the risks.
I also made them sit down and be quiet when I eventually teed off.

Additionally, there's a jake turkey that's been occupying The back part of the course since late May. He seems to understand the game and poses no hazard.

The courses I play most frequently are in shared parks. Sure, people get in the way sometimes. No big deal, as they have just as much right be in the park as I do. I just give folks a heads up that they are in the way and I don't want to hit them by accident. No reason to over-complicate things. The people I've run into always move without issue, and most thank me for the heads up. Honestly, I have experienced way more issues with other disc golfers being stupid/rude/oblivious than people using the park for walking, running, etc.
Agreed to all of this.

In all my rounds, I can only recall one incident where a Non-DG'er was a complete rectal orifice when I explained he and his two young daughters were sitting in a fairway. There was hardly any escalation... I explained and the guy's first response was to drop start dropping F-bombs and other choice language you wouldn't necessarily expect a parent to use with kids under the age of 10 present... and basically threatened me in the process.

Quickly realized that neither he or the conversation were going anywhere, and walked away.

The thing that really bothered me was it was a 500+ ft hole (Cass Benton #18), and due to the terrain/shape of the fairway/foliage, completely out of sight of people who would be hucking be distance drivers as hard as they can in their direction, without even realizing kids were sitting there. :(

... a bunch of people playing pokemon go, standing in the middle of the fairway.

My pet peeve. One of our local, shared use courses is apparently a haven for rare, imaginary critters. It has gotten better this year as the fad diminishes, but I have often waited 10-15 minutes for the 'fighters' to complete their quest. :thmbdown:

My pet peeve. One of our local, shared use courses is apparently a haven for rare, imaginary critters. It has gotten better this year as the fad diminishes, but I have often waited 10-15 minutes for the 'fighters' to complete their quest. :thmbdown:

I'm just glad the trend is dying out, it annoyed me alot. People being everywhere in general.

Came upon a group of 5,6,7 year old kids with a park ranger on a hole at Hudson Mills. The ranger had a golf cart out and was teaching the kids how to frog hunt in the local pond on the hole. Certainly a bad idea, but I would much rather see kids learning to love the outdoors (opposed to Mario Kart) than sate my need to play the hole for the 600th time. We went down to say hi to the kids and talk to the ranger. He seemed oblivious to the danger the kids could be in and encouraged us to just throw over/around the kids. We became insistent that the risk was far too high and though we would gladly skip the hole, others were likely to not be so intelligent. He had a couple orange cones in the golf cart we put on the tee pad, but not before a group of golfers yelled FORE and teed off into the kids and us. Attempted a quick education session with the noobs and decided to sit on the tee pad for a half hour or so, to give the kids a chance to prey upon some unsuspecting amphibians. The park belongs to everyone, and some see the course as an opportunity to pursue other activities. I would hope, as a golf community, we would be the first to embrace this philosophy. After all, is it a tragedy to only get in 23 holes for a round?

Had an unfortunate run-in with a pokemon player last summer. My buddy and I had teed off on hole 18 (par 4) at our home course and were getting ready to play our up shots when a teenage girl starts waling down our fairway from the basket. I notified her were we throwing her way (from 250') so she moved about 8' out of the fairway. At this point I decided to just wait for her to get past us to throw. As she approached I attempted to educate her of the danger she placed herself in. The conversation went like this:
Me: You should be aware that people throw these hard circles in the driection you came from"
Her: that's why i moved out of the way
Me: well a few feet is not really safe place. if a disc hits a tree it can bounce directly at you
Her: if you hit a tree that's your problem
Me: if i hit a tree and it bounces into your head, it will be your problem
Her: I'll call the police
Me: If a disc hits you in the head, I will be calling an ambulance while giving you first aid

She mumbled some other smart alec comment as she walked past that i could not hear. My buddy and I just shook our heads. Amazed that she would be so snotty when i was just trying to help her stay safe. I would never have thrown with her there, but there are plenty of noobs that would not have thought twice about chuckin at her.

She mumbled some other smart alec comment as she walked past that i could not hear. My buddy and I just shook our heads. Amazed that she would be so snotty when i was just trying to help her stay safe. I would never have thrown with her there, but there are plenty of noobs that would not have thought twice about chuckin at her.

I see this type of attitude plenty, not just in parks or on the course. People seem to take it as a personal insult if you inform them of something they just maybe could have done differently, even to protect themselves or others from harm. If something bad happens, it's got to be the other person's fault. Are egos so fragile now?

Player: People throw hard plastic here, you might consider moving for your own safety.
Park Visitor: They'd better not!

Player 1: You might not want to tee off. There are people in the fairway.
Player 2: Then they'd better move. <tees off> Fore!

My local 18 hole course was added to a public park that had existed for around 80 years prior. It's a beautiful course, and I constantly remind myself that everyone else has an equal right to enjoy the park, and I make every effort not to infringe on someone else's activity. My greatest fear is that we have one tee-pad that is situated about 100 feet from a knoll, and you have no way of knowing if someone is walking or sitting out of sight in your line of throwing. I try to keep an eye on park activity as I am playing other holes prior to this one to see if anyone seems to be headed for that area.

I would be extremely disappointed if disc golf were to be removed from the park due to complaints from the general public. We disc golfers that use this course need to be constantly aware of how our sport is being perceived by others who use the park for other forms of recreation.

Latest posts