• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-Wizard Wizard

A voodoo and wizard are NOTHING alike. Gateway website shows each putter and explains each one.
I own, and have thrown all of Gateway's putters.

Gateways putter explanations are almost nonsensical. A Voodoo is a Wizard without a bead. When a Wizard gets beat in it flies like a new Voodoo.

Wiz/Voo was my combo before I got on Team Challenger

Sorry, but they are not even close. The measurements are not the same...the depth is not the same...the stability is not the same...the glide is not the same. I was an avid Gateway collector and I approve this message...as would Dave Mc.

But of course, some people think it is the same. If you put them side by side, you can tell they are not even close. Try it sometime.

Sorry if I came across too harsh. They are both great disc, as are all gateway putters. Find the one that fits your game and go make some putts.

I switched from KCP Aviars to SS Wizards and couldn't be happier. Although, I'm thinking of switching back to the KCP's though. No reason, but just to try out the KCP's again, I LOVE my Wizards.

Anyone try out the OG Wizards? I've went from Omega SS, P&P Aviars, KCP Aviars, SSS Wizards, and now to the OG Wizard. I like the firmness of the OG, reminds me of the KCP but without the slickness. I would say a KCP is a tad more stable.

There are a bunch of og wizards that fall all over the place in terms of feel. The ones I've tried felt nice but beat up a little quicker than comparable stiffnesses in non-og plastic.

Here's what I suggest, because I know Gateway will do it for you: Send them the Wizard you love and ask them to find as many of them like it as they can and ship them to you. I know you said you cannot afford a bunch of discs at once... but here's the thing: The Gateway factory store has about 30,000 Wizards on hand that are sorted by plastic and color that date back years. It's just the only way you're going to get exactly or close to exactly what you want. In many cases, if you are ordering directly from them and more than 2 or 3, they'll give you a really good discount. A friend of mine recently bought 5 Wizards for $5 a piece that way. Often I've heard Dave or one of his guys say that they have taken an old pressing that was popular, looked up the mix of plastic that they used and reproduced it.

Hope this all helps.

Seriously? I could ship it to them...that'd be pretty sweet.

The one I have that I love is a Teal 175g SS...it's sooo grippy. I just put with it in the rain and made a 80 footer.

How do I get ahold of this Dave fellow?

The Voodoo has a small bead, and the rim is nothing like a Wizard. The Warlock is a Wizard without a bead.
indeed, a warlock has no bead, but it is NOT a beadless wizard. they are not even the same shape. warlock=aviar pna. wizard does not= aviar bb

Dave mac describes the warlock as exactly a beadless wizard.

If you look at the early pages of the dgr thread on ions/mvp the guy from mvp (chad?) acknowledges that they (ion/voodoo) are very very similar in shape and profile. If you held them next to each other you could tell. Differences being, ion is deeper than wiz with a similar bead, voodoo is similar depth with smaller bead, wiz is shallower with similar bead to ion. If youre going to call a wiz and ion similar based on bead alone, thats fine i guess, however incorrect imo when compared to a voodoo when not taking height of bead into account as the only factor of which youre comparing.

It was botherin me so i tried to look it up.

According to discgolfsweden.se , their disc database says this

Wiz-
Rim depth-1.2cm , overall height 2.1cm

Voodoo-
Rim depth- -1.6cm, overall height 2.1cm

Ion-
Rim depth- 1.6, overall height 1.9cm

So as you can see it wore closely resembles the voodoo in dimensions, although they described the voodoo as a small bead warlock lol, never heard that before, they look nothing alike imo.

Dave mac describes the warlock as exactly a beadless wizard. QUOTE]

Dave says a lot of stuff.

I'm not trying to argue or anything and I haven't broken out the drafting equipment to measure every detail of them all... so, I could be slightly off in some places. I'm just saying that I have some recent run Wizards, some recent run VooDoos and some recent run Warlocks (Magics too, but those aren't being discussed) and when I put them all side by side, here's what I see:

The VooDoos I have look exactly like the shape of a Wizard, but they don't really have a bead.

My Warlocks are identical to my Aviars.

I don't have an Ion, but when I was checking one out that another guy had a couple of weeks ago, I held it next to my Wizard and it looked the same. I suppose it could have been a little shorter, like the measurements in that previous post, but it was very, very close. It was balanced differently.

I hear ya, after so many molds its really hard to make a putter that looks any different from any other putter. Ill try and find a link for that dgr thread i talked about.

I'll admit that my statement about the Warlock being a beadless Wizard is just mirroring the article on Dave's site. The profiles really are very different. As for the Voodoo looking like the Wizard, there is definitely a much more rounded wing on the Voodoo (at least on the clear HPPs).
Wizard-Voodoo.jpg

Since there's so much discussion, here come the profile pics (they're a little blurry, but I think they effectively display the differences). The Wizard in the pics is a current tooled medium. All it proves is that there's nothing like a Wizard.

Ion (current mold Soft)
Wizard-Ion.jpg

Aviar Big Bead (DX San Marino Grid Stamp Classic)
Wizard-AviarBB.jpg

Aviar PnA (DX www tooled)
Wizard-AviarPnA.jpg

Last edited:
All it proves is that there's nothing like a Wizard

And with that, I'll bring this thread to a close by saying, after throwing some other stuff, along with the wizard, I just can't find anything that feels the way it does and gets the great flight I love...so the Wiz wins. I'm gonna save up a few bucks and get ahold of Dave to see about getting some more just like the one I love. (I do think I'm gonna use an Ion for upshots in the woods though).

What's the best way to get ahold of Dave?