• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob disc golfer looking for help

Nihilist

Hey all, been discing since last September and my backhand form is terrible. I have attached a video of a couple throws I had recorded at the course yesterday. I don't throw very far, maybe 250-275 if I get a real good rip. Any tips or a checklist of things to work on would be great. I have been doing lots of research online and have been struggling trying to make progress. Thanks all!

You're overcurling your wrist. This whole vid will probably help, but he explains what I mean. If you change your pull line, you don't need to overcurl to work the nose around hard.

It's the second or third thrower, I think.

Hey all, been discing since last September and my backhand form is terrible. I have attached a video of a couple throws I had recorded at the course yesterday. I don't throw very far, maybe 250-275 if I get a real good rip. Any tips or a checklist of things to work on would be great. I have been doing lots of research online and have been struggling trying to make progress. Thanks all!

I'm not great at this yet but I think these photos illustrate your issue:

http://cl.ly/image/3V0I103W0Q2f
http://cl.ly/image/2N0I1n0j0W3A

Nice pics. Shows the overcurling, and also that your stance is too open. Your plant foot should be more to the left side of the pad (looking at the pad from behind).

Also, notice that you're having to pull the disc around your body; that makes it impossible to pull on a straight line to the target. At the rear position, the disc needs to be more towards the left of your body (again, if you were looking from behind the teepad toward the target).

Been working on throwing from a standstill. Disc flight is much straighter for longer and slowly gaining distance. Let me know what else you see going on. Thanks!

You open your plant foot before your weight transfers to it, so everything spins out of leverage. Stop trying to lean away and load all your weight back away from the target. You need to get your left butt cheek going toward the target and weight transferred to the (closed)front foot before your hips rotate. Also you are hugging yourself with your throwing arm(bicep) which brings the disc around instead of through the core. Keep your elbow out forward away from your chest.

How good is your forehand? I've tried backhand throws and in my opinion it just isnt viable for my skill level right now. Its not accurate enough for my liking, so I guess I'll keep trying forehand until I feel comfortable with anything else other than a rare roller throw. My go-to disc that I use for most of the holes at my regular course is the DisCraft BuZZZ. I love how it feels in my hand, and the consistency is paramount. I even tee-off with the BuZZZ on holes that are around 200-300. Thats just my opinion, hope it helps

My forehand is actually pretty decent. More distance. OK accuracy. Only problem is when I throw forehand I get left knee and left hip pain after just half a round or so. I would like to be a much better backhand player.

My forehand is actually pretty decent. More distance. OK accuracy. Only problem is when I throw forehand I get left knee and left hip pain after just half a round or so. I would like to be a much better backhand player.

Have you made any chances and noticed any improvements since you first posted this thread?

Yes, I have seen improvement in accuracy and distance. Been throwing everything from from a standstill and throwing further now. Always looking to work my game.

Things are going pretty well. Still throwing from a standstill. I need to get a new video up, but I'm finally getting a good flight out of my discs. I went back to throwing mostly teebirds, rocs, and putters. Getting 270+ regularly. Is it time to add a 1 step to my throw, an x-step? Or should I wait until I can flight that teebird out farther? Thanks!!

Latest posts