• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

noob needs a driver

talkinsmack

I don't get a lot of distance and I have a lot of flick in my wrist that I need to un-train. my only driver right now is a discraft XL (speed 9). I don't get good results with neutral and overstable discs so my whole bag is neutral and understable discs. I'm looking to add a mamba or a lat64 flow. the mamba is 11, 6, -5, 1 while the flow is 11, 6, -2, 1. this will be my max distance driver for a while till my arm speed gets better. flow or mamba? also, I think the avenger SS might be too close to the XL to have all of them in my bag unless I drop the XL.

my mag right now is this
XL proD 165g
lat64 Diamond test plastic 158g
buzzz ss 172g
MVP axis 171g
MVP anode 170g

Mamba is a great great disc for low arm speed throwers such as myself.

I would also highly recommend a dx gazelle in the mid 160s. I think you'll enjoy that.

gazelle is speed 6 so not sure if your serious. the diamond is doing great for something like a gazelle. what should I get in speed 10 or 11? my fastest disc is a XL so I think I need to buy something fast a long tee right?

Last edited:
Oh, I'm dead serious.

Ive found the mamba is crazy understable, speed 10 or no speed 10.

What numbers do a valk have? I like the pro valk for the shots you are describing.

ok, valk is a 9. Orc is a 10. If you really want a speed 10, orc is a great choice. Hyzers a lot for me, but again, low arm speed.

I just checked, my XL is speed 7 and the valkyrie is speed 9. maybe I should just get the valkyrie since it is faster than the XL. great advice.

The mamba is awesome. It's really easy to throw and gets a lot of distance for me. I can shape all kinds of lines with it as well. I highly recommend it.

I was in the same position as you and made a thread like this, and everyone told me to work on my form with putters in a field or get a leopard to have fun with while getting better. So, I got a leopard and I was extremely glad I did. It might not be as fast but it has a lot of glide and I find that even now that I have a stronger arm it goes farther than my faster discs and is definitely more controllable. I would definitely recommend getting one (get it in Pro plastic it has better glide than other plastics), I can almost guarantee it will go farther and be more accurate for you than the speed 9 and 10 drivers.

Another vote for Nick481. He was given good advice and he took it. I remember that thread. Good to see that you didn't just ignore what everyone said and go buy a Blizzard Ape or something.

Slower speed discs are better for new players to learn form.

If you want to stick with Lat plastic, I recommend either the River or Striker. They're both great discs.

Slower speed discs are better for new players to learn form.

If you want to stick with Lat plastic, I recommend either the River or Striker. They're both great discs.

I like the River suggestion. If you want to stay understable, I like the Opto Diamond--it's a little faster than a River and not as stable as a Striker.

Nick hit it on the head. Stick with the slower stuff until you get out to about 350 with the speed 7-ish stuff. River is a solid choice, leopards are good too.

I would say look at a Vibram Trak. It has really good glide and doesn't require a cannon of an arm to get it to fly well.

if you are throwing sub 300 or right around there the Valk will be an awesome disc. I have a 164g Star valk that I loved while I was developing my form and arm speed. It still functions great as a control driver for me.

yes what nick said a leopard would be very good the speed of the disc doesnt mean to much in the distance game when you are new its more about learning form to make the disc perform like it should so you should be able to push the leapord out to 300 ish as well that xl I used the xl and its a very dependable disk for me if i realise it flat it will have very little turn and a little fade at the end a nice and easy 300-350

The River is an excellent fairway driver, much like the Leopard, you can own the disc forever. It just has so much extra glide, it's easy to throw, and a really accurate disc.

Latest posts