• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Northside Park, Gainesville FL in jeopardy

So they'd tear out the course to put in the senior center?

Yeah, at least it seems so at this point in time. Hopefully we can get the word out and save it. The plans that they seem to have in mind, in my opinion is just a waste of money, especially when the money that the city is going to use to build this senior center comes from a raise in taxes.

I received this email from our Mayor...

Dear Mr. Gunton –

There is no plan, to my knowledge, to reduce any of the existing facilities for recreation at Northside Park. I believe the new senior center, which would be also available as a secondary use for other recreation purposes, would be located up front toward the intersection of 441 and 34th Street, taking up some of the County fire station site (a underused storage building) and part of the other non-recreational lands in that area. I don't think there is an intent to greatly expand parking or other uses that would take away from the great facilities you mention.

I actually believe this will make Northside a more hospitable location for active recreation for all users. I hope you will agree.

Best wishes and thanks for your advocacy for the park.

Pegeen Hanrahan

Mayor

For perspective's sake. Here is what the Mayor was talking about. In red is our current course, in green is the proposed land use for the senior center.

Attachments

• nsdgc.jpg
    nsdgc.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
Would hate to see this course go. I remember a few years back they were going to put a wal mart in there, and it never happened. Hopefully the course will win this battle. I know it sucked having to move 2 holes at Wickham in Melbourne recently, but it was better than the whole course being in danger.

I played that course when T. Monroe first set it up back in 1984. I hope what the mayor said in his e-mail is true. Try to work with him and the parks, Dept. - don't fly off the handle and piss them off!! That's a great course winding through the pine trees. I hope it stays!!

Thanks for posting that, Ladred. I heard rumors of at least part of the course being annexed for the senior center, but if your map is accurate it doesn't look like it will be affected at all. Unless you have a really bad drive on 18, that is :p

Please update if you hear anything else.

I am headed there on Friday on my way home to Wisconsin, hopefuly it is still open when i go. Can I leave a $5 donation if I feel the course was worth it.

I don't think you can leave any money unless you see one of the guys out there raking up the place and fix'n er up. The city takes care of the park by mowing, trimming trees and everything else that needs doing. Have fun playing on Friday maybe I'll see you out there if I can get back up there from Orlando. Try not to go to late in the day or you'll have to deal with some large groups slowing things down.