• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose down on long putts.

Krusen

Birdie Member
Having some trouble with longer putts (over 30' or so). When I try to put that extra snap on it, It goes nose down and ends up short anyway. I think my style is probably a long arm putt. I know I should probably switch to short arm, but is there anything I can do to fix my current style for the remainer of the warm season?

anyone got any tips for when you're right outside that range where you can push the disc there with weight shift?

go for a safe up, or jump putt; as I like to refer to the form i learned as the jog putt.

I believe he meant for the distance between standing there and using a weight shift.

lock-off said:
anyone got any tips for when you're right outside that range where you can push the disc there with weight shift?

the easy answer is always use a weight shift, you just use more depending on the range. that way there is no ackward gap to fill.

using a hyzer or anhyzer putt will increase the carry on longer putts (since the putter will glide more).

nose up putts can carry farther.

lighter putter too... I love my 150g Wizard for putts from >50', slight nose up and it goes like the energizer bunny.

Do you all think it's better to treat the putts as a continuum and play them intuitively, or do you think it's better to try and mark out "at x distance that's when I start to use a little hyzer?" Or even more importantly "at x distance not leaving a bad comeback putt becomes more important than going for the hole?"

I know Stokely advocates calculating odds, but he frames it kind of as go/no-go situation. Isn't there room for a "kinda take a shot at it" putt?

I have pretty good approaches, but I also putt decently-- they're still the best parts of my game. I think I should be a little more aggressive about going for it, just not sure how to mentally approach it.

i find i make more putts with a little extra power. not power per say i guess,, ,more like confidence

didihitatree said:
Do you all think it's better to treat the putts as a continuum and play them intuitively, or do you think it's better to try and mark out "at x distance that's when I start to use a little hyzer?" Or even more importantly "at x distance not leaving a bad comeback putt becomes more important than going for the hole?"

I know Stokely advocates calculating odds, but he frames it kind of as go/no-go situation. Isn't there room for a "kinda take a shot at it" putt?

I have pretty good approaches, but I also putt decently-- they're still the best parts of my game. I think I should be a little more aggressive about going for it, just not sure how to mentally approach it.

I suggest step up to your lie and choose what feels right as far as type putt and disc. The only benifit I see to saying "outside x range I will use x tecnique and x disc" is the confidence that you know what youre doing and youre less likely to second geuss any of the variables. I keep it simple I am down to two wizards (from four) I have a heavy soft that I use for shorter putts, more stable putts, and some drives, then a lighter med wizard thats beat to hell for longer putts, straighter putts and some drives. it all depends on what line I want to take and what feels comfortable for that line.

inside 40', it's best to have knowledge of what kind of height/power you need to carry from any given length.

most putts that miss low aren't missed short, they are just mis-aimed.

I always use the simple principle - use the slowest disc I know can get there. That keeps me from overshooting it. If it is a silly distance to really go for it, say 75 feet or more, I generally throw a midrange at it to land under the basket. It is such a small percentage shot with enough distance that if I misjudge it I can be fairly far off and have a putt of questionable distance instead of a gimme.

I also notice that most people tend to undershoot approach shots and so I always try to put a little extra on it and it normally lands just at the basket. For puts between 40 and 75 feet I hyzer the putter. You have to put it almost uncomfortably to the right, just right of where you would think (if you are a RHBH thrower). The further the distance, the higher the throw and the more you need to put it right. Hyzer is nice to assure that if you miss you will have an easy next shot but still gives you a chance at making it. I use a KC pro aviar at 171.

Maybe that's my problem. I don't really have a hyzer putt. If I putt I pretty much throw straight. As the distance starts to increase-- maybe 40 feet or so-- I'll aim more right, but I still think of it as throwing a regular straight putt motion and just allowing for fade.

If it's farther than that and I want to go for it, I throw anhyzer. I don't know if there's a name for it, but you toss it high and gently and it sort of starts off left, curves and then just sort of floats in there. The great thing about it is the disc lands completely flat with no skid at all, so you rarely overshoot the hole or get a bad roll. But lately I've realized that the disc also drops pretty rapidly at the end of the flight so there's almost no vertical approach angle.

I worry about the hyzer blowing by the hole. My typical approach hyzer is to sweep it in, dropping in front of the cup and letting it slide up to the pole. If I have the height to get it into the basket, I'm worried about skidding past the cup 20-30 feet.

I'm thinking a jump putt will solve this.

well I was out playin today and had an amazing drive off the tee, left me about 50 feet away from the basket. I never have duced this hole before. I had read this post before I went out and decided to try and hyzer the long putt instead of what I usually have been doing with a straight as possible putt that usually fell short. I let the disc go and glided right into the chains, right to left for a duce! Since that was the first hole of the day, my day went well after that :D

Seems to me instead of using an anhyzer S on longer puts to use a faster disc (say a roc) with the same effort. The more variables you toss in there the more things can go wrong.

mdabbs said:
Seems to me instead of using an anhyzer S on longer puts to use a faster disc (say a roc) with the same effort. The more variables you toss in there the more things can go wrong.

isn't using the roc a variable?

Latest posts