• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose Down

IVER

Bogey Member
Just looked at another video (it is too BAD to let anyone see, so don't ask!) of my drive. I have read EVERYTHING, over and over about keeping the nose down. I keep a disc on the front seat of my truck to train my grip / wrist / forearm alignment but still launch nose up.
Does anyone have a retraining method to help me?

Impossible to say without video but its a lot easier to get the nose down throwing with hyzer or anhyzer.

Have you watched the Climo video on how to grip the disc to properly align it?
Basically, he says to use your non-throwing hand to place the disc into the crevice created by your thumb and palm on your throwing hand. In palm reading it's referred to as the "lifeline".

This orients the disc to be on the same plane as your forearm when the wrist is straight, however, you want your wrist bent down to throw nose down.

Slow down, standstill and focus on wrist angle and elbow forward on some practice throws. Video. If you don't want to post them no problem as long as you know what you are looking for for yourself. Disc needs to be on the plane with your forearm which needs to be moving along a parallel plane as your shoulder.

I'd start with some putters or stable mids doing closed shoulder snap type throws. If you are keeping the nose down keep the standstill and do a full reach back. Keep stepping up to a full throw till you notice the break in form and move back to where you had it right and replicate the good form partial motion a bunch.

Make sure are using the correct grip. I found recently that my game drastically improved after I STOPPED tucking all 4 fingers for power grip.

Take the disc and place it across you palm so that the rim fits between the pointer and middle finger. Next take middle fingers and tuck them into rim like a typical power grip. (while keeping the disc in the same spot across your palm. Now the 2 outer fingers (your pointer and pinky) they go flat against the rim..

So middle and index finger are tucked under the rim tightly, the pointer and the pinky are flat in the inside of the rim. The thumb is right on top of the pointer finger. This allows you to apply firm thumb pressure and angle the front of the disc.

I still throw some high, but I drastically decreased the number of high shots I throw. I get farther distance with way less effort and If I focus on thumb pressure and keeping my nose down I almost (95%) throw lower than I did previously, which increased my distance as well.

Read THIS

I used to use the bonapane grip to get the feel of where my disc should be in my hand and how it should feel. That grip will help get the disc nose down until you can figure it out with a full power grip. I played around with all types of grips but for me, like most others, gimmicky grip tips may keep the nose down but you're sacrificing distance. So when you put them together, eventually you get nose down results with a full rip and snap of a power grip creating the optimal result. Arm angle, release angle, weight shift, all play a factor as well. Look at all of the aspects of the drive instead of just grip. If you're "swooping" your arm on the pull thru, it's going nose up even with the bonapane grip. If your weight is too far back on your non plant foot, that could also create nose up releases. That's why it's best to put up a video of the drive so people can see the overall motion.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will post a video once I solve all of the obvious problems. My goal, as a "Legend", has to been to accurately drive over 300'. I am at about 260-70 now with a one step RHBH technique (bad rt. knee).

I just train myself to have the nose down at the end of my swing. Do you sit there and practice your swing before you throw? I do this most of the time and at the end always try to remember to make a point to point the nose down or I'll just have a disc flying high and crazy. Just practice over and over.

Is your arm flying high or is the nose up angle solely from the wrist? Remember to keep your arm below your head for straight shots.

It is purely a function of wrist. My follow thou, such as it is, is on the same plane as my release which is fairly level. Don't have a problem with sky launch.

Experiment pulling through higher a la Matt Orum to see if that makes a difference and adjust from there.

I had/have the same problem. What is helping me is placing the disc in the crease of my palm and applying a lot of thumb pressure on the inner portion where the flight plate meets the rim. I used to throw every drive way up high and it would stall and fade rapidly. Slowing down and throwing a lower speed disc like a Valkyrie really helped me too. Stand still throws really help too. I started doing standstill throws and I couldn't believe how much further the discs were flying. Now I try and do a really slow "run up" (more like a walk up) and I really try and concentrate on my wrist pivot angle, and placing a lot of pressure with my thumb on the disc now I can get about 300' sometimes but I average 275' a lot better than 100-150 I was throwing 2 weeks ago!