• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not gettting past 300 frusfrstion thread

It angers me.... We will get past this hump fellas.

Damn straight. I was there at the beginning of the spring myself. The only thing that helped me was throwing, throwing and throwing some more, then watching videos, getting help from forum members like sidewinder while trying new stuff while throwing even more. You'll be alright.

I can hit 300 but not consistently. I focus on my approach shots. To me that's the name of the game. When I become deadly accurate on approaches I'll worry about distance.

I can hit 300 but not consistently. I focus on my approach shots. To me that's the name of the game. When I become deadly accurate on approaches I'll worry about distance.

I'm going to agree with this. I played a tournament yesterday... my drives were serviceable, my putting was much better than usual for some reason, but my approaches killed me, particularly in the wind. I realized that I need to be spending a lot more time practicing at 100-150ft.

It angers me.... We will get past this hump fellas.

If you think far by itself, you will attempt to use more force without going further and wear your body out in the process. Even after two years into steady play, I resort to this on occassion and have to do the mind over matter thing.

If you think form, shoring up your weakest points one at a time, while attempting to combine everything together, you will get more distance. I can't say when muscle memory kicks in to the point where you don't have to think about it anymore but I sure will welcome that transition.

I played the Winter Warriors doubles tournament this last Saturday and for a "fun" hole #4 (402') you had to drive with your MINI. Yeah, your mini-marker.

It was really funny and everybody got a good laugh and then I see my brother who got partnered with the local 15 year old badass. The kid threw 20' past the pin WITH A MINI.

420' with a mini! His dad was on the card with them and laughingly confirmed it when I asked him about it.

I played the Winter Warriors doubles tournament this last Saturday and for a "fun" hole #4 (402') you had to drive with your MINI. Yeah, your mini-marker.

It was really funny and everybody got a good laugh and then I see my brother who got partnered with the local 15 year old badass. The kid threw 20' past the pin WITH A MINI.

420' with a mini! His dad was on the card with them and laughingly confirmed it when I asked him about it.

That's absolutely ridiculous, and would be a world record, if I'm not mistaken.

I feel the 300' pain. I get to about 310' regularly, and can hit 350' in the field when the stars align. I'm hesitant to post a video, though, as my fragile 38 year old ego has taken enough beating over the past decade.

That's absolutely ridiculous, and would be a world record, if I'm not mistaken.

I feel the 300' pain. I get to about 310' regularly, and can hit 350' in the field when the stars align. I'm hesitant to post a video, though, as my fragile 38 year old ego has taken enough beating over the past decade.

That's interesting... I'll let him know on FB.

I too am 38 - have been hesitant to post any videos yet because things are changing so much in my throws as I have been following this path: read, watch, field, repeat. It has been daily fieldwork for 6 months now.

All I can say is that you have to learn to love the challenge and accept that it's very counter-intuitive. I started following the advice of keeping everything loose until the last second and it fixed me back up to throwing further again.

I think that the more you learn about the what you should be doing at each point, the less distance people tend to get for a while. The form gets better, but less smooth. The hardest part is taking in all these data points and incorporating them into a smooth motion where you're not thinking about it.

I'm 26 years old, I weigh 185 and i am 5 foot 6. i know that i need to lose weight but i have self tought myself how to throw. my goal will to be consistantly throw 450 feet. right now i am at 350 feet and can hit a 400 footer everyonce in a while. All it takes is practice working on form and working on control of the disc.

I'm 26 years old, I weigh 185 and i am 5 foot 6. i know that i need to lose weight but i have self tought myself how to throw. my goal will to be consistantly throw 450 feet. right now i am at 350 feet and can hit a 400 footer everyonce in a while. All it takes is practice working on form and working on control of the disc.

Strong core muscles are a big plus, as well....and let me tell ya, sitting behind a desk is not conducive to strong core muscles.

As someone who recently consistently broke the 300 hundred feet barrier, you can do it. It can be very frustrating. On average, I would be just under the 300 mark, with a few random ones that went pretty far and I would feel the aha! moment where once I let go, I knew the disc was going far for me. I basically had to break down and rebuild my driving form. I went from doing a full runup to standstill drives, now I am currently doing just the x step as my runup. Slowing down things also seem to help. WHen my drives are crap, I force myself to slow down, and the good drives return. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far.

Strong core muscles are a big plus, as well....and let me tell ya, sitting behind a desk is not conducive to strong core muscles.

Check this out:
https://www.google.com/#q=office+chair+core+workout

As someone who recently consistently broke the 300 hundred feet barrier, you can do it. It can be very frustrating. On average, I would be just under the 300 mark, with a few random ones that went pretty far and I would feel the aha! moment where once I let go, I knew the disc was going far for me. I basically had to break down and rebuild my driving form. I went from doing a full runup to standstill drives, now I am currently doing just the x step as my runup. Slowing down things also seem to help. WHen my drives are crap, I force myself to slow down, and the good drives return. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far.

Check this out:
https://www.google.com/#q=office+chair+core+workout

Saved to my favorites...good stuff!

I have never really went out and practiced throwing until this year. i would say i have got out to do field work maybe 10 times. I did some field work last night and was throwing my champ and star terns 340-365 average on flat ground. I need to get my camera out and record my style of throwing. i think i need more reach back and more snap. trying to hit that 400 footer range.

I have never really went out and practiced throwing until this year. i would say i have got out to do field work maybe 10 times. I did some field work last night and was throwing my champ and star terns 340-365 average on flat ground. I need to get my camera out and record my style of throwing. i think i need more reach back and more snap. trying to hit that 400 footer range.

Hey, this belongs in the "Getting past 400 frustration thread" :)

I'm in the getting TO 300 frustration group. So much info, so many videos, so much to work on.... Think I just need to get out and play more. Everytime I play a round I think there is something else (a feel, a movement, an angle) that clicks. A few more good throws than the last round. More rip from the hand feelings. Fewer lost discs! I'm hoping all those little "clicks" will start building on each other and one day, I'm at the soccer field and I "score" one across the opposite goal line :clap: That will be a day for celebration!

I myself wondered about filming myself throwing my drive, but was reluctant from fear of having of people laughing at it. I guess I'll do it anyway and absorb the critique to get better.

As cool as this sounds I find it very hard to believe.

If I could "do it all over again" I could have saved myself alot of frustration by simply using understable discs instead of being sucked into using "the longest drivers ever made" at first. Using stable to understable drivers will help you learn how to throw flat, and from then on, things should just improve gradually over time. Also, don't be too concerned about using lighter discs as they will add distance to your game. When I went from 175 to 140g drivers my game changed over night. I actually have added over 100ft the past year using lighter discs for my drives. The most common response is "when I throw lighter discs I just turn them over", well...unless you're already throwing 400ft, you're probably not releasing the disc at the appropriate angle. Lighter discs need to be thrown at more of a hyzer angle. (research hyzer flip). I still throw max weight when I need better accuracy or into a head wind. But with no wind or a slight tail wind, those lighter discs can fly. Yesterday I was field testing "flex drives" and threw a 135g Katana 370ft. Not bad for this old man. ;)

...Also, don't be too concerned about using lighter discs as they will add distance to your game. When I went from 175 to 140g drivers my game changed over night. I actually have added over 100ft the past year using lighter discs for my drives....

I'll have to pick up some lighter weights and give that shot. Throwing mostly in the 168-172 range. Still a lot to work on with technique and timing but some free D in the process would be a good thing :thmbup:

Latest posts