• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblique Sling

navel

Birdie Member
First of all, thank you Sidewinder for luring me down the rabbit hole of the oblique swing.
(Post #44 in this thread: "Reachback Not Important?")
Secondly, I'm still learning, so bear with me. Maybe a few old timers can help me out by correcting and adding information?

I've had some huge aha-moments lately, mostly because of reading and watching a few short Youtube vids about the subject.
I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet though, but I know that for me it's going to be a game changer.
Why?
Even though I have been able to throw pretty far and decently accurate I have never felt the power travel through my body like this before.

sling-e1521735584849.jpg

Following part is copy pasted from the top Google search result:

What Is The Oblique Sling

Your oblique sling is a line of musculature that runs from your shoulder to the contralateral side of your pelvis. In other words, right shoulder to left hip and left shoulder to right hip. This line of musculature is what rotates our pelvis into side lying. As mentioned, it is our bodies own personal whip. When looking at your torso, your oblique sling begins just above the hip at the external oblique, moves to the rectus abdominus, to the internal oblique, to the serratus, and into the pec on the opposite side. Picturing this line of muscle anatomically allows you to see its importance in generating rotation. It plays a huge role in all rotational sports. As a strength coach that works with mainly overhead and rotational athletes, this is an important concept to understand and continue to find new ways to address and fine tune.

Role Of The Oblique Sling In Throwing

Your oblique sling plays a massive role in the stretch reflex of throwing. Briefly, the stretch reflex is also known as the stretch shortening cycle. The stretch reflex involves eccentric lengthening of the muscles involved in the movement, which stores elastic energy, allowing us to generate power. An Eccentric contraction is followed by a period of amortization, which is the brief pause that allows for the transfer of the stored elastic energy to kinetic energy. This energy is released when the lengthened muscle contracts concentrically, finishing the stretch reflex.

When throwing, we enhance this stretch reflex by adding length to the movement, by separating between the shoulders and pelvis. This separation is known as the X factor. It creates a whip like effect, allowing you to throw far and hard. The longer the whip, the greater the speed.

Ok, I'm back.
Watching the vid above and trying it out got me feeling the oblique sling better than before. I've surely used it for throwing, but not heavily loaded.

I started doing a few twisted rows with a 4lb weight just to get a better feel of how the muscles in the posterior oblique sling work together. I may have been thinking about the throw all wrong for quite some time. My thoughts have been that the hips are one lever. The core is a spring. The shoulders are another lever. So you would need the core to be in a loaded state. I've know that there is more detail to it, but I haven't really felt the connection. Now I feel it like a resistance from the left hip wrapping up and around my back to anchor in my right shoulder and then continue out my right elbow.

Here's my before and after. I don't know how to show it visualized in any other way.
xpHigUW.jpg

Now HERE is the real magic:
I wanted to feel what loading the sling in a disc golf throw would feel like, but my muscles wouldn't feel totally loaded just yet. And I couldn't really feel relaxed and athletic while doing it either.
So I used a resistance band and wrapped it around my back like this, but let it continue up to anchor around my right shoulder and out towards my right elbow. I attached one part to my left side belt loop and the other I tied around my right elbow.:

fitness-lattissimus-dorsi-muscle-illustration.jpg

Some adjustments had to be made to get the feel and the resistance in the band. Then I loaded up to throw and focused on getting my right hip out of the way so that the left hip could move laterally and "wrap around" my CoG.
Then... BOOOM!
Everything just accelerated so hard that I thought I was gonna leave the ground. I tried a few more of these before getting rid of the resistance band. The feeling of it being loaded and un-loaded were now easy to move in to my muscles instead.
I have never REALLY felt the connection between rear hip and lead elbow before. Now I feel it like a resistance band stretching all over my back when throwing. It's loose when starting the X-step and getting pulled out when I start to move around the disc and lead with my left hip/butt, before getting released with easy power when I brace.
The hit is also so much easier to get right. If I line up correctly the disc will go exactly where my left hip and thigh is pointing (the direction of the X-step and the momentum).

Good job navel of breaking this down. I now see SW's starting the lawnmower in the Posterior Oblique Sling video starting around 0:55. Break the rope and you have the DG throw. I've had bad experience with the lawnmower analogy but I also can see HUB's reverence to helping your buddy off the ground. If the grip slips between the two then it's the same thing as breaking the rope.

You've got me starting down the rabbit hole now. :thmbup:

I think the Swim Move engages the anterior oblique sling into the brace left shoulder to right hip and pulls the posterior oblique sling into helix or spiral around the left shoulder/right hip post as the center.

This is a really nice explanation. :thmbup: I like your idea of simulating or exagerating the feeling by using the resistance band. I'm having a little difficulty envisioning how you went about securing the resistance band. Did you run the band up over your right shoulder or under your right armpit? Can you add a sketch or photo to illustrate what you say here:

So I used a resistance band and wrapped it around my back like this, but let it continue up to anchor around my right shoulder and out towards my right elbow. I attached one part to my left side belt loop and the other I tied around my right elbow.

This is a really nice explanation. :thmbup: I like your idea of simulating or exagerating the feeling by using the resistance band. I'm having a little difficulty envisioning how you went about securing the resistance band. Did you run the band up over your right shoulder or under your right armpit? Can you add a sketch or photo to illustrate what you say here:

Thanks!
I ran it up across my shoulder. It's a bit tricky, but I have one of those really wide and flat resistance bands, so it worked for me at least. I bet you could try it with any kind of elastic textile.

Across the shoulder like this, but instead of grabbing it I tied it around my elbow so that my lower arm is relaxed:
resistance-band-workout-total-body.jpg

Across the back almost like this, but tied to the hip instead of standing on it:
resistance-band-workout-horse-stance-cross-punch.jpg

I think the Swim Move engages the anterior oblique sling into the brace left shoulder to right hip and pulls the posterior oblique sling into helix or spiral around the left shoulder/right hip post as the center.

It's a movement across the anterior oblique, but is it really loaded and released like a sling? I have a hard time feeling it for myself and seeing pros do it. The posterior sling is much easier to both feel and see. Maybe if you would get the off-shoulder way back in reachback it would work like that but otherwise it looks like you have different benefits other than an anterior sling with the swim move? Like you said the swim move makes for a better/longer/compact tilted center to spin around. I would like to hear more about the swim move though and the anterior sling.

Watching the oblique swing video you linked, I found the exercise with the left foot forward and right arm reach down interesting. This seems analogous to elements of the butt wipe/door frame drills which are preserved. While our left foot is behind the right foot inline with the tee-pad, compared to our hips when they're closed our left foot is ahead of the right foot. Stretching the obliques.

It's a movement across the anterior oblique, but is it really loaded and released like a sling? I have a hard time feeling it for myself and seeing pros do it. The posterior sling is much easier to both feel and see. Maybe if you would get the off-shoulder way back in reachback it would work like that but otherwise it looks like you have different benefits other than an anterior sling with the swim move? Like you said the swim move makes for a better/longer/compact tilted center to spin around. I would like to hear more about the swim move though and the anterior sling.
Everything works in reciprocation together across the slings just like walking. Feldberg's forward pump is the easiest to see how this all works during the x-step. Also Elephant Walk Drill.

When you stride the right leg into the plant and while making a backswing with the left shoulder folding back away it stretches the anterior oblique sling and shortens the posterior oblique sling from the left shoulder to right hip, while stretching the posterior oblique sling and shortening the anterior oblique sling from the right shoulder to left hip.

Everything works in reciprocation together across the slings just like walking. Feldberg's forward pump is the easiest to see how this all works during the x-step. Also Elephant Walk Drill.

When you stride the right leg into the plant and while making a backswing with the left shoulder folding back away it stretches the anterior oblique sling and shortens the posterior oblique sling from the left shoulder to right hip, while stretching the posterior oblique sling and shortening the anterior oblique sling from the right shoulder to left hip.

Hmm... Maybe I will have to play around with it a bit more. I see what you are saying, but it doesn't resonance with me. ...yet?

It's just such a different feeling when throwing; posterior- vs anterior oblique sling.
Posterior feels so loaded, stretched out and powerful across the whole body. From the ground up. If I try to do them both at the same time one of the slings will just slack and go along for the ride. Posterior feels like a stretched out sling while anterior feels like a rigid rod that just pushes the rear shoulder and the leading hip around at the same rate more or less.

No, wait... I'm watching form gifs and vids while writing this and I might have had a real time realization.

Ok, so 5 mins later and I've changed my mind completely.
(I'll leave the first part in either way.) The Swim move doesn't start from the rear arm!?
It starts from the ground up too!
The anterior sling can't be simplified and tied up in a belt loop like it can with the posterior sling. The posterior sling needs to go down the thigh. It's pushing down with the lead foot and bracing that slings the rear shoulder forward!

You can see the rubber band that's tied to the rear shoulder being stepped on by the lead foot. Or if you want to simplify it a bit it can be tied around the lead thigh, but it can't have the starting point higher up than that or the whole movement will lose dynamic balance.
I haven't been able to think this through just yet, but it makes sense and now I'm able to see it in the throw. (A bit hard to copy the feel with my resistance band though. I have to think about that a bit.)

QHHBT9.gif

FrequentMadHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

Not really like this:
images

More like this, it just needs to continue up to the shoulder:
Anterior-Oblique-System.jpg

The anterior swim move leads into the plant to set the post for the posterior sling to unwind around. I think it also stretches the posterior sling more, and pulls it thru from rear hand to lead hand.

Exactly. I have tried to get the swim move working before. Doing an active and powerful swim move has always felt wrong to me. It sort of happens natural when I throw, but a bit lazy and not really as connected to the whole throw. The same way my hips -> core -> shoulders were working before reading up on the posterior oblique sling.
Now I think I know what the problem has been. I've tried to start the move shoulder first instead of tightening the anterior sling and then letting it release at maximum elongation from the leading heel and up.

The swim move is a resistance band, leading from lead foot/thigh/leg to rear shoulder, being tightened and then released together with the resistance band that is the posterior oblique sling.

So, the disc golf throw is basically a big cross going across the whole body. Anterior oblique sling and posterior oblique sling, working together to maximize speed and power. Finding the resistance (and maximizing it) in both slings and also finding the right attachment points for all four ends. When everything is released from its elongation with a proper anchor the effortless "spin" will happen around the axis. I think this is the correct way to think about it.

HedUNjv.png

Time to bring out the resistance bands again and make myself look like a poorly made mummy.

vector-illustration-of-person-in-mummy-costume-for-halloween-party-vector-id1165676589

Further down the rabbit hole...
It's looking like the newer research is showing that fascia and connective tissue have a lot more to do with movement than has been traditionally taught. I can see in a whole new way how crushing the can leads to "snapping" the disc.

Here's an even deeper analysis.

Grip is super interesting; since it's mostly the same muscles you'd imagine that training them in some way would increase your grip strength in general, but that often doesn't pan out. Like he kind of goes over in the video, people frequently train crushing grip with grippers in an attempt to train their support grip or their pinch grip, which usually doesn't do that much, or at least doesn't strengthen those aspects of your grip nearly as much as the crushing part.

One interesting thing about grip is that even though grip strength may not actually be a limiting factor, as in you can physically apply enough grip strength for the task you're performing, if it's at the very edge of your limit and your body feels like you won't have the grip strength to perform the task, it will pull back on the effort it allows you to extend to perform it.

A great example of that is deadlifts; I've lost count on the number of times I've seen people unable to get the bar past their knees, despite still holding onto it, because their grip is about to give out. Then seen them switch to deadlift straps and proceed to do reps with an extra 25 lbs on the bar.

I'd recommend looking into how grip athletes train, they can do some amazing things and have some really interesting strategies to improve grip strength.

Latest posts