• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oblivious People

Never seen a top MLB caliber Outfielder? They can throw 400 feet on a rope right to the catcher.

Those MLB outfielders and their Internet distance claims! Probably can't throw 350 feet on flat ground.

Actually, the record baseball distance throw is 445 feet, but was set way back in 1957. Probably wasn't "on a rope" though.

Given all the "training" of today's ballplayers, you'd think that record's ripe for the picking. Should certainly be beatable in the high desert on a windy day.

Cross country runners in the fall

*eye twitch* God almighty. These are the worst. They run 4-5 laps. The run in front of the tee on hole 1, down the fairway of hole one, across the ridge of the hill to fairway of hole 2, near the basket of hole too. On top of the hill cross the teepad of hole 3, down the long fairway of hole 3, down the fairway of hole 3b, across the teepad of hole 16, down the fairway. Down the fairway of hole 17, around the bend in the creek to hole 18. across the bridge (which is in hole 18's fairway). Across the field to end up in the fairway of hole 20.

There's always the really fast kids who do 6-8 laps, then you got the slow sluggish kids doing 4-5 reallllllly slow laps. And then the girls who cut across the field at weird angles making it impossible to throw and be safe. :wall::doh::wall::thmbdown::wall:

I think most people would be surprised on how much of a sense of entitlement the average walker has. I don't feel like I own the course, but I have just as much of a right to be there as the people who ignorantly wander throughout the course. It kinda irks me when I take my drive, as a walker(s) stands there and watch, and then they proceed to walk right down the fairway I just launched my disc down. There have been instances in which I've tried to be polite only to be looked at like I'm from Mars and spoken to like I'm 5. I just laugh it off, light a smoke, crack a beer and crank up the Hendrix an let the free love flow.

there have been plenty of people who have made my blood boil while playing a round, but it doesnt bother me as much. i am always in the park even when im not playing DG mostly because i live right next to it. i have seen multiple people who have been in the park for one of the other attractions it offers, but have returned to try out disc golf. yeah there is the average dumb ass blocking a basket with a car in the grass, or playing bags in the fairway. atleast a few of them come back to try out the sport

The other day I was playing a solo round out at Oshtemo, fairly busy day, lots of big groups. I get to hole 4 and approach a group of 8 or so, they seemed to be a family of newbies and vets alike and very friendly, they immediately see me and let me play through but warn me of a group ahead who probably won't let me play through. I get to hole 6 easy and don't see anybody, then as I walk to 7 I see a family with kids and a one legged man waiting for some guys ahead of them to finish, when its clear they let their kids throw, who after throwing immediately run to their disc screaming "mulligan" and throw again. The parents congratulating them after every throw. they let this go on for about 30 minutes before taking their own shots. They then proceed to take another 20 to find discs and finish the hole, by this time the group of 8 has caught up to me and the old man in the group gets FURIOUS. He starts yelling obscenities up the fairway at the family for not letting me play through.

Now what blows my mind is the parents and older child were clearly vets of the game, tourney bags, proper terminology. And when I asked "would you folks minds if I played through?" They said "well we already let 2 groups go ahead of us I think its our turn now". I guess even people who know and love the game still be oblivious to common courtesy

Anyways the next hole is short so I didn't catch up with them again until 9 where the one legged man was SCREAMING at his wife and kids for some reason. The older son walked towards me as I finished 8 and told me to play through. He stopped yelling and congratulated me on an excellent toss then continued to scream after I'm about halfway up the fairway.

Those MLB outfielders and their Internet distance claims! Probably can't throw 350 feet on flat ground.

Actually, the record baseball distance throw is 445 feet, but was set way back in 1957. Probably wasn't "on a rope" though.

Given all the "training" of today's ballplayers, you'd think that record's ripe for the picking. Should certainly be beatable in the high desert on a windy day.

They wouldn't be able to beat it in a game though, as no ball park has an outfield wall that far away from the plate anymore.

They wouldn't be able to beat it in a game though, as no ball park has an outfield wall that far away from the plate anymore.

Nobody throws a disc 200 meters in an actual round either. I wonder how far Bo Jackson could throw a baseball downhill with a 25 mph tailwind? :rolleyes:

Pitchers who long toss as part of their training regimen warm up foul pole to foul pole, which can be in excess of 420 feet. And that's a warmup. If someone wanted to break that record, it would be gone.

Never seen a top MLB caliber Outfielder? They can throw 400 feet on a rope right to the catcher.

Ah, thanks for the correction on my statement.:)

I was just making the point that municipalities have/will ban any activity it deems a danger or nuisance, simply due to the 'potential proximity' to others.:\

At Franklin Park in Purcellville each year in august 100's of kids and of course their ignorant, selfentitled parents and act like they own the place. Their preseason lasts 3 weeks and EVERY night the parents show up and literally squat everywhere to make a space to practice. They have kids playing on spaces with 20-30 degree inclines, its disgusting the way these parents treat these kids. They park their trucks on the tee pads, they hang their clothes and football pads in the baskets, keep footbalkls in it... it is a mess.

At this year's BHMO, my group was teeing off on Hole 4 of the temporary West Side course when this little, old, Korean lady casually saunters up behind us from Hole 3. She was just chatting on her phone like nothing else in the world existed. She went right by us, straight up part of 4's fairway, and didn't bat an eye. Like we weren't even there. Apparently, her husband and son (I assume) were fishing in the creek to the left of 4's fairway and she was going to get them. Next thing we see is the whole family and their haul for the morning walking back towards Hole 3 as one of the tournament volunteers tried to explain to them what was going on. Kinda surreal.

At Franklin Park in Purcellville each year in august 100's of kids and of course their ignorant, selfentitled parents and act like they own the place. Their preseason lasts 3 weeks and EVERY night the parents show up and literally squat everywhere to make a space to practice. They have kids playing on spaces with 20-30 degree inclines, its disgusting the way these parents treat these kids. They park their trucks on the tee pads, they hang their clothes and football pads in the baskets, keep footbalkls in it... it is a mess.

Rollatwoa bobwar'll fix thet ... [patooie-clang]

After I threw into the water on hole 18 at Reed County Park I had a guy who was fishing yell at me for scaring the fish. I was already mad because I threw my disc in the water so I not so nicely explained to him that he was fishing on a disc golf course.

Two quick stories.

Both course are multiuse parks, so they technically have a legitimate excuse for being oblivious.

First, the Cub Scouts were setting up a fun day with outdoor activities. Most of the activities were clear of the fairways, but at two of the activities they were using the baskets as coat hangers and shelves for the equipments and bags they were not using. They were plenty of people on the course, so there is the possibility that they were doing this on purpose so players would skip the holes and thus not put their children in the line of fire. As a den leader myself, I understand not wanting to compromise the safety of my kids, but I would have come up with a better plan.

At another big park an elderly couple were walking up a dirt path, which is a walking path, but it crosses in front of a fairway. I had parked the basket but the woman picked up my disc and threw it back into the heart of the park. She thought the park department had provided frisbees for everyone to play with and she was just throwing back at the largest group of people she saw. I was only standing 240 feet away. The guy saw me and shrugged his shoulders as an apology. Later in that round we had to make a blind uphill shot. The basket is on level ground but you cannot see it from the tee box. My friend placed his drive within a foot of a napping couple. These two had thrown down a blanket 15 feet from the basket and were clearly konked out. My friend proceeded to putt over them, they never stirring once. Makes me wonder how many groups had played through without disturbing them.

I think you meant to say: "Buenas suerte con esto, amigo!"

*I may have used an incorrect form of the verb 'estar' since my spanish is a little rusty*

Technically it's "Buena suerte con eso." But close enough. :thmbup:

Latest posts