• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Octothorpe vs Octohaul

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I am for sure getting a pound bag. However I am torn on which one to get. I will be carrying around 20ish discs and some other standard disc golf items such as a retriever, baseball, water, snacks and a jacket. But I am torn as to which one to get. I know that the only difference is the bigger haul pockets on the side. I am also wanting an all red setup like the KJ Octohaul for 350. But I don't know if that's too big for what I am wanting. I guess I could do the custom colors program once it comes out but it would still be 350. So my question is should I get the bigger bag for the same price as it is the color I am wanting. Thanks for the input.

The octohaul is absolutely massive so I'd go with the octothorpe since you only carry around 20 discs. I just ordered a Sextothorpe and I'm pretty pumped for it to arrive.

If you like the colors and want extra storage space go with the Haul. You can always tighten up the sides with the straps if you're not using the extra space.

I have both and can tell you the Haul, when cinched down, is about the same size as the Thorpe. It's the best part about the system on the Haul. you can make the bag as big, or small as you'd like.

Should be noted that the Haul's tall side storage pockets are also a bit bigger.

I have both and can tell you the Haul, when cinched down, is about the same size as the Thorpe. It's the best part about the system on the Haul. you can make the bag as big, or small as you'd like.

Should be noted that the Haul's tall side storage pockets are also a bit bigger.

I think Levi made the tall side pockets on the Octo wider with this years release as well.

Did anyone jump on the custom color Octothorpe deal? It sounded awesome, you can customize everything on the bag. So many options and colors, I couldn't make up my mind.

My girlfriend ordered one. She already has a 2016 Octothorpe, but she was super excited to be able to pick out all or her own colors.

Didn't want to make a new thread so bringing this one back from the dead. How much bigger is the haul than the thorpe? On Pound's website the dimensions are exactly the same but the haul weighs a few ounces more. Anyone have experience with both?

Didn't want to make a new thread so bringing this one back from the dead. How much bigger is the haul than the thorpe? On Pound's website the dimensions are exactly the same but the haul weighs a few ounces more. Anyone have experience with both?

I'm sure the Haul can be adjusted to exactly the Thorpe dimensions by tightening the side straps. I believe that the only difference in 2018 versions is that the lower side pockets are just a touch wider on the Haul, with those straps to shrink the bigger pockets down as desired. +/- a few discs on each side. So the couple ounces of weight difference really boil down to a square foot of fabric, plus the webbing and hardware for the side compression straps.

My $0.02:

I have a 2016 Thorpe, so still with the "smaller" tall side pockets and the 2 drink holders instead of the larger pocket on one side. And it holds a LOT. Almost too much sometimes...like, I'll forget that something is in one of the pockets for a few weeks. Then I find that missing tube of sunscreen (or whatever) and realize I've just been carrying unused weight for my last half dozen rounds.

So really, the Haul is nice, but it would be overkill for me. I need nothing more than 20 discs, rain jacket, rain fly, 2L of water, other beverages in a mini cooler, sunscreen, bug spray, pencils, 3 minis, extra bandana, space for garbage, zip-on pant legs...and that's it! Honestly, no need for me to drop any more dollars on the Haul. But I'm a minimalist. I'm sure that other folks who carry more around are truly getting optimal usage out of the Octohaul. ;)

Agree with Throwbot. I have the "updated" Thorpe. It's still massive. I carry 27 discs with plenty of room for other stuff just because I can and I can work on cycles during casual rounds and don't have to pull discs in and out based on what course I'm going to. If I was going to play a tournament you can fit 20 plus the deluxe goodies easily.

The only reason to get the Haul is if you want to haul around your closet.