• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ODRB ITB

I carry 5 Rocs on wooded courses (less on open courses). One is a Champ or Star beefcake. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a 1996 DX Ontario Roc--it is silly flippy and has tons of glide. Neither of these two see all that much use (well, the Champ does on windy days, I suppose). The 3 in the middle are a straightforward KC cycle: fresh, seasoned, beat.

I throw Rocs for a LOT of shots. In the summer, I jump from Rocs to Speed 9 drivers, with nothing in between. So I throw Rocs for most everything between 200 to 325'. My friends razz me on just about every tee, at least on wooded courses: "So Dave is throwing a Roc". And, yeah, I am.

As to Wizards, I typically carry 3. Two for putting (both G25 plastic, from the same old run), one being in my bag since 8/15, the other since 7/18, so one is a touch more stable than the other. And I will throw either when I need a really touchy putter turnover or something. But they're pretty much putting putters. Then I usually have one fresh(er) throwing Wiz. Right now, I put in one more throwing Wiz because my other thrower is getting a little flippy after 6+ months of use. And I'm trying to throw flippier discs generally speaking, rather than lean on stability, so I am down to one premium plastic Harp (instead of fresh/beat base Harps).

Usually, if I have a 6th (or 7th or 8th) Roc in my bag, it is because I am practicing or throwing extra shots. Same for Wizards.

And I really do try to keep my game down to 3-5 core molds, and MAYBE one or two utility discs. Right now, except on bomber courses (where I throw lots of Destroyers, even for rollers), you can pretty much assume every shot I throw is a OLF, Roc, or Wiz. I think I threw my Harp twice over two rounds this weekend. Firebirds not much more. Otherwise, those three molds.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your itb started my OLF addiction and I can't stop.

Philo also approves of your bag. Sounds exactly like his game, he just goes Rocs/Destroyers rather than OLF's.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your itb started my OLF addiction and I can't stop.

Philo also approves of your bag. Sounds exactly like his game, he just goes Rocs/Destroyers rather than OLF's.

He throws some Teebs and Firebirds too.

Rooster Rock, eh? You're a brave soul to venture onto the East course of that park lol.

Yeah, it was pretty thick. Some fun shots. But I probably will never play it again, except maybe in winter.

East side has fun shots.

Yeah, it was pretty thick. Some fun shots. But I probably will never play it again, except maybe in winter.

East side has fun shots.

East side was a nightmare for me as I was a beginner and lost 2-3 discs that day lol.

Ended up just sticking to the West side as finding discs was easier and so was the terrain.

couple rounds at Pier.

3 Destroyers
2 Firebirds
4 SOFs
5 Rocs
1 Harp
3 Wizards

McCormick. 85, sunny, perfect course conditions. Totally empty.

2 Firebirds
4 SOFs
5 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

-6 at Blue Lake on two bogeys/one OB.

Course looked great. Fairways are perfect. OB rough is impenetrable.

4 Destroyers (3 Star throwers, 1 Pro roller)
2 Firebirds
3 SOFs
5 Rocs (4x Glow Rancho, 2008 Champ Sanny, 3 KCs)
1 Ricky 2x Glow Harp
4 Wizards

Quick practice round at McCormick:

2 Firebirds
4 SOFs
5 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

I've thought the same for years.

It also has the weird effect of making anyone who plays it barely give a Sh!t. Like, same group of guys I play elsewhere with shoots like GARBAGE every time we play Dabney. And literally no one cares.

Saturday Blue Lake:

4 Destroyers
2 Firebirds
3 SOFs
5 Rocs
2 Harps (went back to the stuff baseline pair over the one champ glow--not sure which I prefer)
3 Wizards

Two loops at McCormick last night:

Loop one:
2 Firebirds
4 SOFs
5 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

Loop 2:

6 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

Two loops at McCormick last night:

Loop one:
2 Firebirds
4 SOFs
5 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

Loop 2:

6 Rocs
1 Harp
4 Wizards

How much did your scores suffer when you ditched the drivers? Super course dependent but I'm always surprised how close I shoot to my average with just mids and putters

How much did your scores suffer when you ditched the drivers? Super course dependent but I'm always surprised how close I shoot to my average with just mids and putters

I havent ditched my Destroyers. Not at all.

But they're not useful at McCormick.

The only holes they even conceivably help (in my game plan out there) are 6 & 7. On 6, I can get my Orion's on too of the hill, giving me a putt. I can get destroyers up by the basket, but more often I'll clip an early tree or a guardian by the circle, giving myself a worse putt. On 7, a destroyer can get to the pin. But it's a touchy stand up hyzer. I'd rather have a consistent circle 2 putt with an Orion again.

Actually, I can give myself an eagle putt on 17 with a destroyer but, again, getting it the tunnel clean on 17 means easy birdie so I'll take that.

There are still 4 destroyers in my bag but I know there's no point to lugging them at McCormick.

My game plan there is :
1. Putter
2. Roc
3. Roc
4. OLF
5. Putter
6. OLF
7. OLF
8. Putter
9. Roc
10. Putter
11. Roc