• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-Elbow drive / Forehand?

Malawi

Par Member
Found a article on ultiworld about off elbow drive, that u should use your off elbow as a counterbalancing by the offside of the body to throw, that it activates the trapezius and other back muscles.
I remember aswell reading some thread here someone talked about that it should feels like you hit someone short in the face behind you with the off elbow to start the body motion. Also that elbow should push forward after being pushed back to stop the motion to get that snap. : https://ultiworld.com/2015/07/09/the-forehand-part-four-best-practices/

Is this somewhat true, do you guys focus on that?
cus i certainly doesnt throw fh correct since i sometimes getting arm pain by using to much arm. I dont really understand how you start the pull, if i should focus moving the hips or maybe that off elbow instead of pulling all the way back with my arm.
Its way easier to understand a backhand pull by just smash that plant heel everything follows, that doesnt seem to work in forehand with the plant foot.

I kind of reach out to the target with shoulders closed to target thumb down and then pull the off elbow into the hip to pull or swim or fulcrum the rest of the body/arm/disc thru.

I kind of reach out to the target with shoulders closed to target thumb down and then pull the off elbow into the hip to pull or swim or fulcrum the rest of the body/arm/disc thru.

Alright cheers!

I knew there was more going on in a forehand throw that most of the basic tips vids on yt doesnt bring up. I tried this today and it finally felt effortless in the arm just like in a backhand. Tho my discs didnt went that far cus my timing was probebly off.
Will have to try time in that wrist snap and have a more balanced tightness of the grip, noticed that its very easy to let go off the thumb before release so only my fingers pushing the disc and it goes nose up instead..

For me it really starts with pulling the "curtain" with the off hand which fires the hips/closes the shoulders and a straigthened reach back. This forces a rotation in the upper body to start the throw. Think more how you would shug a heavier bag or something, so more of a progressive acceleration of the full arm and then in the last part you feel the disc is getting heavy and then you snap.

Been playing since april and before my "aha" moment i struggled to throw 60m with "good" form that also gave some pains. Bow 90m is effortless and painless can crank those shots back to back for a long time without fatigue. Have to say it was nice getting more distance but getting it so painless was the absolute best

Pulling the curtain, thats a new way to look at it.
I can now sometimes throw 280 with no pain when everything clicks. Focusing on pushing the hips forward with rear leg like in backhand then when planting i push the off elbow back next to hip. But this works alot better with approaches around 150 feet. I still strong arm sometimes. Must learn to lead elbow and try to use all body parts together. But to start the hip turn is that from pushing the hip forward"rocking hips" or should i focus on rotate them? Also should i cock My wrist back in the reachback or let the weight of the disc bring the wrist back when arm moves forward? The later seems to work best.

See how my body starts falling forward first while arm/axe lag behind and then get slung thru. The lag/inertia on the disc should cock the wrist back as the body goes forward. Don't spill the beverage!

Toss a sledgehammer effortlessly, looser goes longer like long toss drill in baseball. Off arm stays tucked into front side to leverage everything like One-Arm Olympic Hammer Throw.

Sports like baseball and throwing hammers doesnt exist in my country so i cant relate to any of that since i dont watch it, but il get your point.

Today i did some fieldwork after i watch one of your forehand tutorials about leading with the elbow. I never even thinked about like you explained that keep the elbow infront of the shoulder and it moves with the shoulder. When i did that i noticed that i havent even turned my shoulders/twist my upperbody back more then 6 a clock if target is at 12.. well i probebly have done that sometimes in my best longest throws cus all suddenly i got like 5 out of 10 throws to 280-310 feet. Felt really good but then after 30 mins i could feel that old arm pain again, its the muscle on the backside of my upperarm above elbow. I probely did some strong arming even tho it felt pretty effortless or its from pushing the disc with my fingers right before release. Seems to hurt more if my fingers are more stretched out on the disc. Really wish its not a old damaged muscle from then i started with forehand that wont goes away..

Last edited:

Latest posts