• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

officially done with this snow

Big Nasty

Birdie Member
five discs gone in the last three days, including two at leagues this morning.

star fl
champ eagle
glow buzz
champ firebird
z surge

needless to say this has been a long weekend

star fl
champ eagle
glow buzz
champ firebird
z surge

were they ribboned?

People put ribbons on discs so that when they land in deep enough snow, the ribbon will be sticking out so you can spot them.

Personally, I don't do it but it is an almost guaranteed way to find your disc.

I think the ribbon is awkward and I rely on making a reference point with the environment and incisions in the snow to search for mine.

It's a little bit different if you heavy traffic on your course though. I am lucky enough to have a course where it is wide open enough for the snow to drift along to make a good surface to puncture and there aren't any footprints due to no one playing. Never lost a disc playing this way.

Last edited:
cheer up, mate. i lost one of my money valks today in the snow. it'll all be gone soon. i'm up to 4 lost in the snow so far this year, two of which i re-found

sunnier days are just around the corner :)

yeah they have my name and number on them, what is this ribbon you speak of?

I tried tis for the first time at our Ice Bowl and it worked great. I woulda lost more then 10 discs had I not ribboned them. We were playing in 3+ ft of snow and the only person to lose a disc in the snow was the one person without ribbons. This does not affect the flight of the disc and more then trying to throw in the deep snow already does

These "Ribboning Instructions" were handed down to me from our ol' friend Dusan, who, while watching my feeble attempt to ribbon my disc, showed me the correct way that will allow for the "best-flight-pattern-considering-there's-a-ribbon-on-your-disc". So, if you're a true Winter DGer :

Items Needed
-Ribbon. (Yes, the kind you use to wrap gifts, but the thin variety)
-Duct Tape
-Scissors or cutting knife
-Disc

1) Cut a three foot-long length of ribbon.
2) Bite off a 2 inch piece of duct tape.
3) Cut a small slice in the middle of duct tape.
4) From the non-sticky side, pierce the slice in the duct tape with one end of the ribbon, and pull 1 inch of it through.
5) Carefully cut the exposed ribbon down the middle to the duct tape, so that you can now have 2 pieces of ribbon sticking through the tape, like a snake's forked tongue. Pull one ribbon down to attach to the left side of duct tape, and the other to the right side.
6) Now attach the aerodynamically-correct duct tape and ribbon assembly to the underbelly of your disc, trying to place the slice in the center of your disc.

Ribbon is dumb and not needed. Just don't be stupid. If you want to be stupid, then I give you permission to use a ribbon.

Wow cool advice bro.:thmbdown:
you should probably go troll another thread now.
Don't listen to fools like this. If you want to use ribbon go for it. If there's over a foot of snow u best believe I throw some ribbon on my drivers.

previously i lost a star teebird throwing at a course that didn't even have baskets in, and a wizard on a snow covered baseball feild. today i lost:

GL river
Star mystery disc
DX leopard
Z Buzzz
X XS

because i had to make it home to go to my soccer game. but then i went back there later and found the river, mystery disc, buzzz (actually my mom found it) and XS. so so far i've only lost 3 discs this winter. since its gonna be above freezing this whole week with one day 45 and rain i'm hoping I can get out and find my remaining three next weekend!

star fl
champ eagle
glow buzz
champ firebird
z surge

Ribbons? Or maybe not play in the snow? Or throw cheap stuff? But hey, at least you get to buy new plastic. Thats always fun.

Ribbon is dumb and not needed. Just don't be stupid. If you want to be stupid, then I give you permission to use a ribbon.

this is all kinds of fail

besides that, thanks for the help guys if we get dumped on again ill be sure to ribbon my discs. otherwise, im hoping that next few warms days equates to some recovered plastic.

Played yesterday and the snow was knee-deep. I'm definitely ready for the spring.

p.s. I've never used ribbons, and I've never lost a disc in the winter.

just wanted to update this thread

went out turned three games on monday and found four discs, none of which are mine. funny how things even out.

r pro boss
champ destroyer
pro wratih
dx Leopard (woot)

those Disc Gnomes sure play silly games

Found one of three I lost at bancroft bay, a beat to crap 171 pro boss, I still have hopes of finding my QJLS, lost it in the night with a light taped to it.

Latest posts