• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oh my straddle putt!

Apothecary

Banned
Gold level trusted reviewer
after watching Backswing and hommie bust 60' putt after 60' putt using the straddle technique, i have decided to consider making it my primary putting technique.

what are the pros and cons of straddling as primary putting form? any tips to learn?

I just switched over about a week ago. I really like it for anything from 60 and in. Outside of about 40 I jump with it.

I used to putt like that, but I've switched to other forms of putting. Straddle putting just didn't give me enough umph for putts that I wanted. I wouldn't be able to make a 100 foot putt like I can with my current.

Anyway, when I did do a straddle putt, it was all about lofting. You don't get a lot of momentum going forward so you have to bring the disc down between your legs for the really longs ones. I never liked the overstable putters for loft putting but it will work with practice. I always released the disc either flat or with anny depending on the stability of the disc, I always tried to land it straight in instead of hyzer putting like some straddlers do. Lot of wrist to keep it level through the loft (lots of spin).

I've only used it out of necessity, getting around obatacles, etc. I'm toying with the idea of switching my self. One main selling point is that you can always stradle putt from anywhere so you only need to learn that one style. I watched footage of the 2003 USDGC and saw Barry Schultz straddle everything. SWEET!

When I do stradle it's more of a push/loft putt. My normal putt is more of a spin/push. The spush, I call it. I can't do the spush as well from the straddle. At this point, I don't putt outside about 40 ft, I use more of a hyzer approach form, but I hope to change that this year.

Whether you make it your primary style of putting or not everyone should practice and feel comfortortable with a straddle putt from within the circle. I'm remiss about doing this and it shows everytime when I get a lie where straddle is the best option.

man the way these guys were putting today was sick. brought it down to their ankles and the disc was done being torqued by the time it reached knee-level. a bit on the aggressive side for what im used to, but damn was it impressive.:clap:

I've tried a few styles and, for me, the straddle putt works way better than any other method. After watching the Discraft putting confidence video, I starting using the straddle putt exclusively and it shaved 4-6 throws off my game in the first few weeks.

i started straddle putting a few months ago...i deffinetly like it for putts inside of 60 ft or so. its improved my putting alot...now im pretty confident up to about 20 ft or so and can atleast hit metal from farther out. i like to base my style off of nikko's, it seems to work really well

I'm toying with the idea of switching my self. One main selling point is that you can always stradle putt from anywhere so you only need to learn that one style.

That's a really good point. You may have just sold me.

That's a really good point. You may have just sold me.

After watching the 2003 USDGC video recently, I noticed that Climo was push putting, using the one foot forward foot back stance, where as Schultz was push putting using the stradle. The motions of their arms was nearly identical. Mostly straight, like an underhand toss. The Fundementals video w/ Climo and Feldberg goes into detail on this style.

I'm migrating toward that Climo style of putting (he is a 12X work champ, maybe he knows something ;) ) and see that I could easlily switch to the straddle stance WITHOUT changing the way I throw (arm, release, etc)

I think that would be the biggest advantage. Be able to set your feet however you need, based on your lie, and keep the rest of the motion the same.

I have been slowly incorporating the straddle putt into my game. Mainly for shots where my lie doesn't allow a staggered stance. I am getting decent with it from about 10-15 feet. No distance yet, but I haven't practiced putting by itself in a while. I do like the staright line and loft I get with a straddle putt. I am going to keep working on it with the hope that I can use either style when needed. I will have to decide on which one will be my go to after I get more practice. But it makes sense mechanically to use the straddle exclusively if you can get to a comfort zone. If I can get some more distance I will probably stick with it.

I switched to straddle putting for a while and had great success in practice.
However, it did not hold up for me in competition.
I still practice it for times when i need it, but it didn't work for me.
I may try it again sometime, but I'm putting with a style that holds up better for me in competition.
I putt with a more Climo-like form now.

Gotta go with what works. It's like a batting stance in baseball. They are all different and some look really strange, but all that matters is the final result.

check out disc golf monthly from a few months ago, vibram open at maple hill. a fine straddle putt clinic by barry and nikko. watching that a couple times has definitely gotten me working on extending my range with it. for restricted/uneven lies or where the ground is funky, it can feel a lot more comfortable. it takes a while to get the feel for bringing it down so low and using a different arm motion but its totally worth it.

check out disc golf monthly from a few months ago, vibram open at maple hill. a fine straddle putt clinic by barry and nikko. watching that a couple times has definitely gotten me working on extending my range with it. for restricted/uneven lies or where the ground is funky, it can feel a lot more comfortable. it takes a while to get the feel for bringing it down so low and using a different arm motion but its totally worth it.

Would you happen to have a link to it on youtube? I've been searching for a while but can't find it.

I converted to straddle putt as well so I could use it all the time and not be limited by the terrible lies that god thinks it's funny to leave me.

Sometimes a straddle is not possible when stuck behind bushes/brush. Times like these call for the perfect compliment to the straddle of a turbo putt.

I imagine most putts can be accomplished with these two techniques.

Latest posts