• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okay - How big is a good tee box?

Ideal Concrete Tee Box Size

• 4x8

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 4x10

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • 4x12

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 5x8

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 5x10

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • 5x12

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • 6x10

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 6x12

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters
The best concrete pads are at the old zilker park in Austin. They are pie shape, kinda. I think 4 ft. in front and about 12-15 in back and 10 or 12 long.

I actually thought as far as cost was concerned - Zilker Park used too much concrete. I only used about a third of the tee when I threw, and the rest felt like wasted space. And again, how much more are spending in concrete. Flip City is a good general design for how the actual pad should look and Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek is a great example of what the area around the pad should look like.

I think the bigger the better. The best I've played on was at Giles Run, which are either 5x10 or 5x12, and they are sweet. Flush to the ground as well. Sometimes the width gets over looked more than the length, but I think bother are equally as important.

The Tee pads at Giles Run are some of the best I've played from. Not too wide but plenty long. Those guys have done some great thing with that course and continue to. I do believe tee pads can be too big. I would say longer is always better then wider. Isn't that what she said? :rolleyes:

I like a good wide tee, so that i feel confortable making my steps on whatever type of drive I am using on that hole. As far as length goes...that has to be set up per hole.

I would say that a circle at least 8' in diameter would be ideal. You wouldn't have any change at all in the angle that you threw off the tee if you were going to spike hyzer over some stuff, annie around something, or whatever. However, circle tees are completely impractical, requiring too much space for some areas, and using too much concrete.

Teepads should be dependent on the length of the hole thrown. I just need a small teepad if the hole is 200 feet let say, but give me a big teepad if I have to throw out to 400 feet or more.

I agree with wolito, you dont need much if you end up just standing there and on tight tunnels that are under 225 or so I usually do not have any run up, but anything I need to full power a driver I like to have 5x8 or bigger. Wider is more important to me than longer as I do not fully "RUN" I walk into my x step. So I am going to say 6x10 but many courses 5x8 would be sufficient

I would say that a circle at least 8' in diameter would be ideal. You wouldn't have any change at all in the angle that you threw off the tee if you were going to spike hyzer over some stuff, annie around something, or whatever. However, circle tees are completely impractical, requiring too much space for some areas, and using too much concrete.

interesting, but possibly overkill

Just played a course with 3 1/2 X 8 ft pads, wooden framed filled w/ gravel. While they were well-built and a good idea, they wer VERY difficult, would be better to have no frame at all. No real run up possible.

Box needs to be big enough and positioned to allow several run up/shot options, both LH and RH. 5ft wide min. Could be narrower at the front if it is wider at the back. 8 ft long min, if for a true driving hole.

Last edited:
I think the bigger the better. The best I've played on was at Giles Run, which are either 5x10 or 5x12, and they are sweet. Flush to the ground as well. Sometimes the width gets over looked more than the length, but I think bother are equally as important.

Some of the worse have been because they weren't long enough, usually the older courses, but I've seen it in on newer ones as well.

So my recommendation is to err on too big, then not big enough. I hope that helps.

I love those tees!

Bigger is better. A large flat tee area for longer holes allows me to concentrate on my release more, not having to worry about footing, or rolling an ankle.
I have not seen one yet, but I think the best tee would be " Y " shaped, with the open end facing away from the basket. This would allow players to use a safe runup from either left or right, ending at the same hack line.
Ytee

Obasket

Latest posts