• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OKTHROWBERFEST 2014 -- FINALS VOTING POLL

Vote for your THREE favorites for Okthrowberfest 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No worries, all. Both of those with dissenting opinions have PMd me explaining their reasoning, and as I've said in this forum, I truly appreciate their concerns and am truly GRATEFUL that they posted honestly how they felt.

In the end, I'm not going to stop competing. I've been running this event for 5 years, and have competed every year. No one has ever voiced a concern when I've placed anywhere else but winning this year. But I also completely understand their reasoning!

The good thing is, no one that has entered or sponsored Okthrowberfest has voiced the same concern, so I imagine that they are ok with me entering and are likely aware before the contest starts that I'll be entering.

Even still, I will likely not take all of the prize allotment that would have gone to first place. I may hold them for next year's contest, I may donate them randomly across the entrants, I don't know yet. I know if I wasn't running the contest that I'd feel happier about the win. Frankly, as much as I love Murder of Crows, I was flabergasted that it did so well.

What makes me feel so much better about all of this is how many of the regular dyeing contributors have said that they would not have guessed Murder to be my work, so I don't think that anyone was voting for it thinking it was mine.

I appreciate all the kind words and congratulations from everyone here. Truly humbling.

I can't believe how great all of these dyes are, and I can't believe anyone is questioning Bennet's integrity! About 5 or 6 of these would have been acceptable to me as winners, but none more than Crows. Awesome work, Bennet...and DyeingToPlay...and bsheisy...and hurricane...and roggen...

Possible payout

Below is how I've finally come to the best conclusion on how to make the payout work.

I welcome all input from anyone, whether you entered or not. I've slaved over Excel for hours on how to get this together. This is the best I can figure, but I DO welcome your input, truly!

Parameters:
I wanted, as every year, to ensure that each place is rewarded higher than the places below it, at least as far down as the top 10, and then a higher payout for those 22 entries which made it through to the finals.

I also wanted to stretch the payout all the way from top to bottom. We've NEVER been able to payout all entrants in any previous Okthrowberfest. With this below, every entry will get at least one selected prize, as well as minis from Zing Minis and Community Discs. I'm very happy with this. With no entry fee and all entrants being able to keep their discs, I can't see how anyone could have an issue with it, but I want to know if they or anyone else does.

For reference -- you'll see the total "VALUE" tab below --- again I wanted to make sure the value of those above was higher than those below. I averaged the value of "PRIZES" to $15; the bag for 1st place is the DD Soldier bag, valued at $50, and the other 3 bags are the Prodigy Starter bags, valued at $25.

The yellow highlights represent ties.

Please note -- since DTP placed 2nd and 4th, I decided to move the last Prodigy Starter bag to 5th place(hurricane7) so DTP doesn't get two bags, and both of their "VALUE"s are still higher than the place behind them.

Also, please keep in mind that this is how I would structure the payout WITHOUT my win, so that 1st place gets the biggest payout, just like any event should.

BUT, as I've said before, I will relenquish some of that payout to ease the apprehension of those who might believe I had a part in my own entry placing first. I will set those prizes aside for next year's contest, which seems the most fair(and gets us started on the right foot for OK2015 :hfive: ).

Total number of "PRIZES" is 112 --- which is one more than the 111(85 discs, 26 miscellaneous prizes) donated. Since I won't be accepting all the first place prizes, I'm not fretting over the extra "one."

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears! Keep in mind the parameters mentioned above --- total 111 discs(or 112 to make an even number), payout at least one prize to all entries, and higher value for higher placement as best as possible.

15630320826_b46ce30f06_c.jpg

Bennett, you deserve the full payout for your win. Your entry won on its own merits. Don't let one ignorant comment tarnish your hard work.

I know I used to create dyes that were just as good with hand-cutting as I can with the plotter, and I'm sure I could've done this design by hand. Instead I save myself a few hours time and from even more carpel tunnel, and can still throw the next day. Dyers know that even with a plotter-cut, there is still a MOUNTAIN of work to be done. Cutting is just the beginning!

I was a dyer at one point and know that weeding is tedious, but the real talent is in the cutting. having a machine do it for you is just not as impressive. The ergonomist in me agrees with plotter use though.

I think it looks fair although, I too dont see a need for you to have to forego your winnings. You've competed in this a lot of years and I think you deserve it. You won. Fair and square.

I voted for murder of crows cause of the detail and I'm a sucker for glow discs. Hand that feeds cause it was simply amazing. Last vote was pie for peril since it was such a great idea.

I was a dyer at one point and know that weeding is tedious, but the real talent is in the cutting. having a machine do it for you is just not as impressive. The ergonomist in me agrees with plotter use though.

I believe the majority of the highest-caliber dyers here who have plotters went through the long, tedious hours of hand-cutting long before they purchased their machines. The artistry that folks like Dan, Rob, Hurricane, teamtapin, DTP, Eky8, ngramly, bigmanbailye, and others have shown proves that they have the skill to do everything necessary by hand. Though some of them/us have plotters, that does not detract from the fact that they COULD cut by hand, but have chosen to invest in what amounts to just another tool to help create a finished product.

I think the real talent lies in the design, creativity, and exectution of magnificent dye work.

First and foremost I want to say congratulations Bennett on your win .... second I wanna say thanks for everything you do and have done. I look forward to and enjoy this competition every year.. no one is more deserving of a win than you.. and as an appreciation for your time and hard work I would like to donate my winnings to you,.. thanks once again Bennett for an awesome competition...

First and foremost I want to say congratulations Bennett on your win .... second I wanna say thanks for everything you do and have done. I look forward to and enjoy this competition every year.. no one is more deserving of a win than you.. and as an appreciation for your time and hard work I would like to donate my winnings to you,.. thanks once again Bennett for an awesome competition...
Nice!

Been out of town a few days so forgive me if this is a bit off topic at this point.

My votes were based mainly off perceived difficulty. I am most impressed by dyes I see and think to myself "I wish I could do that", so I voted for lycanus, the hand the feeds and crows.

Random thoughts:

I have absolutely no issue with Bennett competing, it would be a shame if he didn't because we would be robbed of a great entry every year. You da man Bennett!

I also agree that not being allowed to vote for your dye would be a good idea. I voted for mine in the semi's bc i honestly thought it was the 2nd or 3rd best but did not vote for mine in the finals.

I think rules should be more clear. I didn't know of it was allowed to vote for mine or not, we should be clear next year.

I wish there was a way to enforce that everyone votes for three...then people getting people to vote for theirs would at least have to vote for others.

I don't know how it would be done but I support having a winner that is "dyers choice", I.e. the one liked best by established dyers ... I just think that as a dyer u you look at dyes different. I was super stoked that people like hurricane, Dan Howard, dyeing to play, and other dyers i know and respect voted for mine in the semis...it really meant a lot.

Just a general thanks to this forum. My first dye ever was right around 2013 Okthrowberfest and I never imagined being able to compete with such amazing dyes in just one year, but thanks to this dyeing community and peoples willingness to answer my questions, I have learned a ton and progressed more quickly than I ever imagined. Special thanks to odyssey for being the first to respond to my first thread.

Thanks to anyone who voted at all, and special thanks to anyone who voted for peekaboo.

Can't wait for dyeing for a cause, and Okthrowberfest 2015!!

I've seen Bennett's dyes from just about the first Xacto blade he wore to a nub up to today and I did not recognize Crows as his work. Once I saw the entries I thought he didn't have time to do one since he put so much into getting the contest up and running this year. So I'm more than impressed, not just with the finished product but with the creativity and technique that a "dyer's guild master" could reach for and achieve. He's always had talent, but this is a major step beyond that.

Pooh and Tigger also got my vote- it genuinely made me smile, has all the skill of any artwork as well as being a great idea.

As far as real artwork, The Hand That Feeds can be hung in a gallery. Most people feel that art is subjective but no matter your reaction to this particular work, it deserves recognition as one of the best pieces of 'disc art' of all time.

I would like to offer my opinion on a lot of the traffic on this post. First off, as a one of the disc dyers in the competition, I would like to say that I fully support Bennett being in the competition and am so happy for him in the convincing win. Bennett, you DESERVE the winnings and I don't for a second think that you should relinquish your winnings, cash or prizes. I agree with many of the other competitors that nobody recognized it as one of his dyes and gave him any favor. People voted for it because it was a masterfully dyed discs.

Another thing I would like to address is the call for different dye categories. I think that would be very difficult for the reasons Bennett stated. What would be done about combo dyes (plotter and paint, handcut and paint)? I think maybe if it were identified somehow as either handcut or plotter it would be cool. As a handcutter, its hard to compete equally when a plotter can do a large and difficult portion of the dye with perfection in 15 minutes that would take a handcutter 10+ hours to do. I don't see the need for different categories but if skill is a component people are judging the discs on, I think the voters should know if a piece was done by hand or by machine. I'm not knocking plotter dyes at all because there were some amazing plotter cut pieces in the contest this year that were done with brilliant colors and expert quality. I

Lastly, I would like to thank you Bennett for putting on this competition. This competition is helping drive the creativity and quality of disc dyeing through the roof. Look how much the detail, quality, and depth of disc dyeing has improved in the last year. I cannot wait until next year to see what all of the ARTISTS come up with and how much the art has improved in the next year. And Bennett, just because I am in your defense, doesn't mean I'm not gunning for you next year. Ha ha. Congrats on the win, Champ!

I have absolutely no issue with Bennett competing, it would be a shame if he didn't because we would be robbed of a great entry every year. You da man Bennett!
Thank you sir!
I also agree that not being allowed to vote for your dye would be a good idea. I voted for mine in the semi's bc i honestly thought it was the 2nd or 3rd best but did not vote for mine in the finals.

I think rules should be more clear. I didn't know of it was allowed to vote for mine or not, we should be clear next year.

I wish there was a way to enforce that everyone votes for three...then people getting people to vote for theirs would at least have to vote for others.
No way to enforce everyone voting for three, but not terribly disruptive either. But we will definitely be more clear on the voting procedures next year.
I don't know how it would be done but I support having a winner that is "dyers choice", I.e. the one liked best by established dyers ... I just think that as a dyer u you look at dyes different. I was super stoked that people like hurricane, Dan Howard, dyeing to play, and other dyers i know and respect voted for mine in the semis...it really meant a lot.
I am leaning towards either a judging panel, or only being allowed to vote if you entered, and can't vote for your own. Lots of time to work out those kinks, and we will!
Just a general thanks to this forum. My first dye ever was right around 2013 Okthrowberfest and I never imagined being able to compete with such amazing dyes in just one year, but thanks to this dyeing community and peoples willingness to answer my questions, I have learned a ton and progressed more quickly than I ever imagined. Special thanks to odyssey for being the first to respond to my first thread.

Thanks to anyone who voted at all, and special thanks to anyone who voted for peekaboo.

Can't wait for dyeing for a cause, and Okthrowberfest 2015!!
You definitely earned it, Peekaboo is truly remarkable, the detail in the dripping blood is just plain WOW! To have progressed so far in one year of dyeing to this is awe-inspiring, and hopefully gets others into the hobby!

I've seen Bennett's dyes from just about the first Xacto blade he wore to a nub up to today and I did not recognize Crows as his work. Once I saw the entries I thought he didn't have time to do one since he put so much into getting the contest up and running this year. So I'm more than impressed, not just with the finished product but with the creativity and technique that a "dyer's guild master" could reach for and achieve. He's always had talent, but this is a major step beyond that.
Thanks amigo, missing the good ol' days of handing off finished dyes for you guys to pull of the vinyl :D

I would like to offer my opinion on a lot of the traffic on this post. First off, as a one of the disc dyers in the competition, I would like to say that I fully support Bennett being in the competition and am so happy for him in the convincing win. Bennett, you DESERVE the winnings and I don't for a second think that you should relinquish your winnings, cash or prizes. I agree with many of the other competitors that nobody recognized it as one of his dyes and gave him any favor. People voted for it because it was a masterfully dyed discs.
Coming from last year's champion, this means a lot to me. Thank you, Rob.
Another thing I would like to address is the call for different dye categories. I think that would be very difficult for the reasons Bennett stated. What would be done about combo dyes (plotter and paint, handcut and paint)? I think maybe if it were identified somehow as either handcut or plotter it would be cool. As a handcutter, its hard to compete equally when a plotter can do a large and difficult portion of the dye with perfection in 15 minutes that would take a handcutter 10+ hours to do. I don't see the need for different categories but if skill is a component people are judging the discs on, I think the voters should know if a piece was done by hand or by machine. I'm not knocking plotter dyes at all because there were some amazing plotter cut pieces in the contest this year that were done with brilliant colors and expert quality.
It's a difficult subject to be sure. While many of these ideas are great in theory, they are equally difficult to execute properly. BUT, we will pow-wow deep into the nights and solve these riddles as best as possible to make next year's Okthrowberfest even better.
Lastly, I would like to thank you Bennett for putting on this competition. This competition is helping drive the creativity and quality of disc dyeing through the roof. Look how much the detail, quality, and depth of disc dyeing has improved in the last year. I cannot wait until next year to see what all of the ARTISTS come up with and how much the art has improved in the next year. And Bennett, just because I am in your defense, doesn't mean I'm not gunning for you next year. Ha ha. Congrats on the win, Champ!
I expect nothing less than the best from you Rob, and everyone else!
I hope all of you take a few minutes and go back through the previous years of the contest too see how it's grown. The art has improved, the number of entrants has grown, and both trickle down into the daily dye forums and inspire others to dive into our craft. I LOVE our community and how we've shared techniques so openly and offered help to those asking what may seem like trivial questions but are certainly warranted when we empathize with new dyers. We welcome all to get involved and simply look forward to more disc art and artists. I thank ALL OF YOU who entered, voted, or had anything at all to do with both the contest and the disc dyeing forums!

Just want to thank everyone for their patience. I'm out of town and got to play The Crucible last night and today, and get to play Little Mulberry and North Georgia Canopy Tours tomorrow. All in all, an incredible little disc golf trip for this area, and much needed!
I will be back at home this weekend and will get the packages all together, which is going to take a SUBSTANTIAL amount of time, but I enjoy everything about Okthrowberfest, so it's no worry to me! But the shipping bill.....that's a different level of "what's going to happen" than I've ever had going to the post office....will post the bill after I go next week!

Just want to thank everyone for their patience. I'm out of town and got to play The Crucible last night and today, and get to play Little Mulberry and North Georgia Canopy Tours tomorrow. All in all, an incredible little disc golf trip for this area, and much needed!
I will be back at home this weekend and will get the packages all together, which is going to take a SUBSTANTIAL amount of time, but I enjoy everything about Okthrowberfest, so it's no worry to me! But the shipping bill.....that's a different level of "what's going to happen" than I've ever had going to the post office....will post the bill after I go next week!

If enough wasn't donated towards this let us know, im sure we can come up with some more. You shouldn't have to pay any of it, Bennett.

Latest posts