• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Funny that you think an early has only five digits...

What would you consider only four?

... or three?

Hey, in my defense he is one of the first 11,310 people or so to sign up. That is like single digit % of numbers issued. :D

Id like to think that things have gotten a little better regarding youth sports. I played youth and high school football, soccer, and baseball. I was by no means a great athlete but I was persistent and worked very hard. I can't even count all the times I had my bell rung as we used to call it. I'm sure most of these were concussions and to think we just played it off and nobody ever thought this was a big deal. And God forbid you made any noise about being hurt or you'd be laughed at and hazed relentlessly.

I remember a game where I got hit so hard I didn't even remember the bus ride home and my parents said I was acting strange. They took to to the hospital and the doctor concluded I had gotten a concussion. And of course I told my coach at practice that week and showed him my doctors note and he's like that's tough because I need you to play this week so just suck it up..lol. I was in the Army for 6 years and at least for me it was a much less toxic environment in my experience compared to high school football.

I took a good hit when we were fighting with pugil sticks and my drill sergeants were very concerned along with all the guys in my squad. Sorry for going off the rails a bit here but I haven't thought too much about all of this until I read through this thread. But yeah there's too many sadistic tough guy coaches and toxic programs out there.

My son went to the same school that I did and he was constantly being pressured to play football. He's 6' 3" 220 pounds and just never had a desire to play sports of any kind and I was totally fine with it. Although had he wanted to play I would've most definitely have tried to discourage it. He's into music and art and I couldn't be more proud of how he turned out. It just blows my mind that so many people pressure their kids into playing sports when they have no desire to do so.
We played a hs that used the Lindenwood University field; old-school AstroTurf. That was crazy; we had at least four guys with concussions. We also had a bunch of guys who had rug burn that got infected and that was nasty after the fact. They had warned us about that; I know I cut the foot off a pair of tube socks to cover my arms and then taped hand, forearm and elbow pads down to try to avoid the rug burn. I looked like a short, skinny, white version of Gene Upshaw:

picture.php

Why they had anybody playing on that stuff is beyond me.

Our Defensive coordinator was a portly guy with a mustache; after the game we stopped to eat and one of our defensive ends didn't get off the bus. I walked back to where he was and he was crying. I asked him what was wrong and he sobbed "I don't know who I am." Another coach came back and asked him what the last thing he remembered was and he said "Some dumpy guy with a mustache told me to go play defense."

I could only imagine having played for the hs that used that field. Playing on that crap once was enough.

The only "see stars" moment I remember was a trap play; the tackle we were trapping turned so he was square-up and I blasted him as hard as I could. Then everything went black for a instant. It was like a reset, when everything came back all the colors looked differently and it was like I was in another place. I wasn't, though. I was just standing there, the play was downfield, the tackle was flat on his back looking up at me, and I wondered "was I standing in the gap when the back came through?" I still don't know; I went to the huddle and it was on to the next play.

I do remember apologizing to the tackle for no reason when I helped him up. :p

I know you've commented before on how bad you are at disc golf, but.... did you look up/do you know Bandemer? Bandemer Reds are about as brand-spanking-newbie-friendly as a set of 9 holes in the woods can be.

Lol....in defense of Bandy. I have spent an afternoon or two, clocking the center fairway tree on a handful of holes, there.

One time I most definitely saw stars, we were playing mighty Jimtown near Elkhart/South Bend, IN and I was on kickoff. I saw a guy 20 yards in front of me. I sized him up in my mind and he did the same for me. We lowered our heads and made full-on contact. I saw the stars and the next thing you know I'm looking at grass.

That **** can't be good for you. I only played through 9th grade. Imagine what the brains of NFL players go through.

It's a blood sport. I thank the Detroit Lions and decades of their awful futility for finally getting me to ignore the game altogether.

Lol....in defense of Bandy. I have spent an afternoon or two, clocking the center fairway tree on a handful of holes, there.
I truly enjoy Bandemer. My friends and I often stop there on the way to or from Hudson Mills, just so easy to get to off of 23.

Anyway, I'm an interloper here for another 36.5 months. So I'll see myself out. ;)

Man, some terrible sports stories being told. I would like to thank the Bones Brigade guys and Thrasher magazine for making me fall in love with skateboarding and skip football. Any concussions, bumps and bruises were all of my own doing and choosing. Skateboarding and soccer were a lot easier on the body.

Old age. I was playing a putter only round at a short course today with my Pig. About fourteen holes in I was just tired of mashing on the Pig and gave up and started throwing the Envy.

Old age. I was playing a putter only round at a short course today with my Pig. About fourteen holes in I was just tired of mashing on the Pig and gave up and started throwing the Envy.

Ha... I was playing a midrange round, ohm, svea, paradox and uplink. I was sore. Tried not to move stupid and hurt myself, threw a bunch of shots too far. I was just trying to throw smooth. Came back without the paradox and gave up after 5 holes. I'll whack bush another day.

I've only just edged into 40+. last weekend was the first rated round I had played in almost 10 years and I regretted it. I had backed away from DG (and this forum) for a while and it showed. My body feels different, started in my late 30's, but really notice it now. I could take a bath in icy hot.

I guess my main old guy complaint now is there's more people playing. When I got into this sport I really liked the fact I was by myself when I played a round of DG. Now there is always someone on the course. I was never really in the "grow the sport" camp. I'm not sure how the sport grew. I've heard that COVID gave people the opportunity to try it out. I don't know. I just know that now I have to deal with people. I do this to not be around people.

Oh and where the hell did all these new disc companies come from? when I started you had to drive three counties over just to find Discraft or Gateway. Thought Space Athletics? non over-molded MVP discs? Everyone has a signature disc? I remember the coup-d'etat for putting Avery and Feldberg on discs after only one worlds win.

Why are discs so expensive now? Why is everything out of stock? Why do I have to look at other people on the course?

I hate everything... just kidding, like all men of a certain age I'm frightened angry and frustrated but I'm self aware enough to have some humor left

not kidding I still hate everything

I've only just edged into 40+. last weekend was the first rated round I had played in almost 10 years and I regretted it. I had backed away from DG (and this forum) for a while and it showed. My body feels different, started in my late 30's, but really notice it now. I could take a bath in icy hot.

I guess my main old guy complaint now is there's more people playing. When I got into this sport I really liked the fact I was by myself when I played a round of DG. Now there is always someone on the course. I was never really in the "grow the sport" camp. I'm not sure how the sport grew. I've heard that COVID gave people the opportunity to try it out. I don't know. I just know that now I have to deal with people. I do this to not be around people.

Oh and where the hell did all these new disc companies come from? when I started you had to drive three counties over just to find Discraft or Gateway. Thought Space Athletics? non over-molded MVP discs? Everyone has a signature disc? I remember the coup-d'etat for putting Avery and Feldberg on discs after only one worlds win.

Why are discs so expensive now? Why is everything out of stock? Why do I have to look at other people on the course?

I hate everything... just kidding, like all men of a certain age I'm frightened angry and frustrated but I'm self aware enough to have some humor left

I helped get this course put in back in '09. We had no money. Somebody wrote a grant and got some money, but it wasn't enough for baskets. Somebody came up with the (really bad) idea to buy DISCatcher Sport portables, make homemade sleeves for them and put in the course. So there you go, 9 baskets not designed to stay outside in a park. No tees, no tee signs. I marked the tees with pain and flags every week for over a decade.

So for over a decade there it was. It was this course that people bitched about and refused to play, but I played it at least twice a week. It was my baby. Nobody else was ever there.

Right before the pandemic I finally got the funding for baskets, concrete tees and tee signs. June of 2020 we finished it up. Now there are people out there all the damn time, wanting to play through. I should have left the thing alone so I could have my course to myself.

Why is everyone playing disc golf in such a damn hurry, anyway?

How I picture you in my mind.

9bcd9610ec70e4958b30caa3a76b0077.jpg

Even back in 1998 when I was pitching new courses at parks departments I was telling park boards that Disc Golf was growing by double-digit percentages every year in its existence. It's always been growing. I like to think it was inevitable. It's an awesome AND novel AND inexpensive sport. When you start out with a small number of people it takes awhile for 10% annual growth to look substantially different in a short amount of time, especially when courses kept going in to help spread them out.

It will be interesting to see if all the growth we got from people needing to get outdoors for the pandemic stays level.

(Yep, I'm all for the growth. Just spent yesterday afternoon scouting out holes for a new high school course together with a guy who has played on a couple of lead cards at worlds with Climo. A day of bliss!)

For sure, there was something special and awesome about having places to ourselves and that we were partaking in an activity ahead of its time. No question about that. There are moments here and there when I have a large section of the course to myself and I reminisce about 1995.

...but 1995 actually sucked because I knew of 3 courses and had 5 total Discs and had never seen somebody who knew what they were doing. Worlds was coming to my home course the next year. I had moved away coincidentally at that time and had NO IDEA freaking worlds even took place there. I lived in my new location for 8 months before I discovered there was a course there, and wouldn't know it was actually a very active club with real pros there (Grand Woods in Lansing). Like Mike Randolph and others of that ilk were there. I had zero clue. The internet was still a baby and I learned through word of mouth from a gal who was doing the art room next to me where I was working at the Boys and Girls Club that there was a "Frisbee Golf" course and would I like to join her and her boyfriend this weekend (who had a Cyclone and I think maybe one other Disc)?

Today I can get in my vehicle, drive an hour in any direction, and be able to play dozens and dozens of courses. There are Disc molds I cherish that weren't even dreamed about back then (and I still don't throw above speed 10)...

Whether I like it or not (I do), the growth was inevitable. It's an awesome and novel and inexpensive activity that anybody can enjoy. The future is here and I LOVE IT. And I totally get where everybody's coming from when they say they miss the old days too.

I would like to see a boom of quality, pay-to-play courses.

Why? Because the type of people who are willing to pay to play are usually a little more serious about their game and understand at least the basic rules of play and course etiquette.

Keep the public park courses free for everyone as they are great for beginners, newer players and families. When I play these courses I expect crowds, slow play, and the occasional breach of etiquette usually due to ignorance and I plan accordingly by making sure that I have time and patience to get a round in.

There's room in the sport for everyone.

Aging is such a humbling experience. This year has not begun well. I took September through January off to heal, and improve my core and leg strength and flexibility. That all went well. I've been throwing for the last month now, and it appears I've lost another 30' off my backhand and forehand. I had already disced down to lighter, slower or more understable discs, but I'm soon to run out of options on that front. I'm now eyeballing a 150g DGA Sail. It doesn't get much lighter or flippier than that. On the bright side, if that fails I'll only be carrying about 8 discs around the course.

I strained my neck caring 50lb bag of salt, and salting tees before local ice bowl tourney.

I pulled the OLD FART move: I realized this could be an injury and didn't gut it out like my younger me would, so I just went home a took a nap and called it a day and never went back to the tournament.

the nap helped and the neck is feeling better.