• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I used to love beer. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 3 years now. It got to the point where the first one didn't do anything for me, but the second one hurt. I guess I drank up all my quota in my youth!

Someone explained it to me like this: Your nerve impulses are like gravel in thick oil flowing down a pipe. Alcohol thins the oil and speeds up the flow, which feels good.

But, the alcohol dissolves the thinner components of the oil. When the alcohol is gone it takes the thin oil with it, leaving thicker oil.

Now the gravel flows a little slower so you feel a greater need to speed it up with alcohol. Do it enough and all you have left is tar; the gravel barely flows and alcohol can no longer thin it.

decided to just fly to san francisco and visit my older brother who took up disc golf during covid (even though for the past 7 years i kept on telling him his sports back ground - professional skateboarder in the mid/late 80's and competitive league tennis player through his teens until present).

we played two rounds at golden gate park yesterday and will drive out to dela vega too. weather has been perfect (i was getting sick of the cold wet sloppy snow in CT).

my theory was correct. in 8 months he's got great backhand and forehand form (sidearm putter well over 250ft on crisp no wobble anny/straight/hyzer. backhand and sidearm drives 350-370.

he just turned 50!!!

The Bay Area Trip was epic:

Stafford Lake:
ebm5r72l.jpg

Rlp7Xi7l.jpg

Dela Vega:
K8GJourl.jpg

Golden Gate Park:
TX4HvMel.jpg

I wish I had a $ for everyone that I've introduced to the sport that got better than me. Pretty much everyone that I've introduced to the sport lol. The best part is watching them get their first ace when I myself still don't have one.

I gave my older brother some champ terns and he proceeded to throw legit 400ft at Stafford Lake. They have a flat 1000+ hole with measuring 100' markers to actually measure your drives and he threw 400' twice.

I kind of hate when natural athletes just quickly get good at new sports, but I love the fact that my 50yo older brother got so good at DG in 8 months. Slinging 400ft backhand and 250+ forehand with putters :confused: He still has to learn how to putt, but he'll be better than me by the end of this year and I'm still the little 44yo brother who's in awe of big bro even into old fart stage in both our lives.

I'm more happy we both bonded over Disc Golf. He dove into the sport and got bit by the bug HARD.

5 days in the bay area and 10rounds of disc golf my old fart arm about to fall off.

This is great.
To be completely honest from tee to about 450' on hold 9 at stafford is a slight bit down hill, but the markers are accurate and hitting 400' is a rip. It looks/feels flat but when you stand at 450 and look back to the tee you have to think, wow thats way more than I thought. Probably only like 8' drop over that distance but its there. Just like the previous hole, 8, is way more up-hill than it even looks from the teepad. Its one of the special parts of that course. So much obvious elevation change, and it is at times more than it even appears.

Where in the bay is your brother located?

This is great.
To be completely honest from tee to about 450' on hold 9 at stafford is a slight bit down hill, but the markers are accurate and hitting 400' is a rip. It looks/feels flat but when you stand at 450 and look back to the tee you have to think, wow thats way more than I thought. Probably only like 8' drop over that distance but its there. Just like the previous hole, 8, is way more up-hill than it even looks from the teepad. Its one of the special parts of that course. So much obvious elevation change, and it is at times more than it even appears.

Where in the bay is your brother located?

^i was annoyed/impressed at my older brother because after the two throws on that hole that were well over the 400' marker, he said to me: "ah ok so you have to just throw the terns smoothly and don't overpower it...i think i threw 60% on those throws "

He's in SF. Golden Gate Park is his home course.

I loved Stafford. We befriended a random guy at GG park the day before and he was from the area and met up with us at Stafford the next day and helped us navigate the course (and all the extra holes). without him it wouldn't have been as enjoyable. It was fun seeing my brother deal with massive elevation (up and down) on holes for the 1st time. Also fun to see him air out some open holes.

The poison oak at Stafford was epic but I showered and wiped down immediately upon going home and didn't get any.

We played Dela Vega and I ended up getting a tiny bit of poison oak :eek: there but did get to buy some cool Santa Cruz and Screaming Hand Stamp discs (my brother was a sponsored pro skater in the 80's so he couldn't resist buying too after seeing the stamp). Dela was equally as beautiful as stafford lake for me course wise and it was fun throwing the same holes and seeing what the pros do in comparison on youtube videos.

iP6zUI2l.jpg

ic7FL9Nl.jpg

Golden Gate park really surprised me. of course the place is super busy but i was impressed at how clean and manicured the course was and how fun and enjoyable the course was. I kept on expecting there to be bums galore and trash living there but it was pristine with not a can/bottle of beer to be seen on the course.

we're planning a CT/MASS/NY trip so he can visit me and play the courses up here and see some new england woods golf.

Last edited:
I used to love beer. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 3 years now. It got to the point where the first one didn't do anything for me, but the second one hurt. I guess I drank up all my quota in my youth!

Congrats to you on 3 years! I'm at about 14 months myself. 1 is never enough, and neither is 6...better just to not start because stopping was always the problem for me.

In other news, I did clear 410' in the field the other day, don't think I've thrown that far in a couple of seasons and definitely never this early in the year. Guess I still have some juice left after all

Last edited:
^i was annoyed/impressed at my older brother because after the two throws on that hole that were well over the 400' marker, he said to me: "ah ok so you have to just throw the terns smoothly and don't overpower it...i think i threw 60% on those throws "

Golden Gate park really surprised me. of course the place is super busy but i was impressed at how clean and manicured the course was and how fun and enjoyable the course was. I kept on expecting there to be bums galore and trash living there but it was pristine with not a can/bottle of beer to be seen on the course.

we're planning a CT/MASS/NY trip so he can visit me and play the courses up here and see some new england woods golf.

That is definitely someone that is a high level athlete that gets the smooth acceleration being key. Fun and jealousy inducing for sure.

That's great in every way. Staying on the fairway at Stafford is key if for no other reason than the PO. The alphabet holes, its literally everywhere. Playing Stafford blind is rough, double so because cell coverage is spotty at best around the course so a few spots can have you walking in circles.

GGP is such a weird scene in that such a huge population has just the one course close by. The volunteer effort is pretty amazing there. It wasn't too many years ago that you would have some homeless and trash and such on the course but with as busy as it is now you can't help but run into people that work on the course and they REALLY foster stewardship in new players.

Dela, what more can be said. For us local to NorCal the janky nature of all of our courses is part of what makes them special to us. Its not better golf than other places but its different.

Let him know there is random doubles at Stafford on Saturday mornings. Sometimes its A pool B pool, sometimes its pure random. I think it starts at 9. I don't get there near as often as I would like, but a lot of the crowd is in the 40+ group. He will likely meet a few that commute up from SF for ride share as well.

those are fun courses! maybe i should see if there are any spots open still. it would be my first opportunity to play MA40

I guess you could call them fun, in a masochistic kinda way. Tight fairways, cedars, briars, cedars, hill climbing and..... cedars. Cedars eat discs and briars eat skin.

My first B tier at 60 was pretty much an endurance test. Two rounds on Saturday for 42 holes, one more on Sunday. 18 over for the weekend, played 5 points above my 869 rating with a final round rating of 896. Doinked the cage on my first warmup toss on my first hole. Probably would have withdrawn if it had gone in.

A buddy made the top 4 in MP40 so they had a final 9. I was beat down but the highlight of my weekend was carrying his bag for the final 9. Watching those guys make shots and putts in 25-30+ mph winds was quite an education.

Ultimately yeah, I'd say it was fun.

Two months from 54 and still got some moves...... placed 2nd and took home $90

picture.php

Also got to hand this guy the big check for taking down MPO

picture.php

I like when I know absolutely nothing about a course but I just look at hole distances and wonder why 3, 4, 5 and 14 weren't birdied.

I'm assuming that these weren't easy to get because this must be a wooded course?

I like when I know absolutely nothing about a course but I just look at hole distances and wonder why 3, 4, 5 and 14 weren't birdied.

I'm assuming that these weren't easy to get because this must be a wooded course?

Actually this course is mostly open. 4 & 14 are wooded.

Lots of missed birdie putts and a few horrible rollaways are why i placed second. :doh:

I was second (MP50) in my last event as well. Haven't lost to anyone older than myself in my division this year other than one event we played on a sheet of ice where my knee would barely function by the end of the day. Seems like it would be in my own self interest to start offering the MP55 division. :)

I mostly play MA50. I'm barely over 50 myself and I do notice I have a noticeable advantage in distance over the guys that are quickly approaching eligibility for the 60+ division. Lucky for them my game overall isn't that good so my slight edge in distance doesn't really pose a threat to them.

If I'm consistent at anything it's being inconsistent. My last tournament I was +15 the first round and -1 the second round. Lol.

I mostly play MA50. I'm barely over 50 myself and I do notice I have a noticeable advantage in distance over the guys that are quickly approaching eligibility for the 60+ division. Lucky for them my game overall isn't that good so my slight edge in distance doesn't really pose a threat to them.

If I'm consistent at anything it's being inconsistent. My last tournament I was +15 the first round and -1 the second round. Lol.

Damn baby grands. :mad:..........................;)

^ haha, we do have a few tricks you don't see everyday

The youngsters seem to be surprised and amazed when I bust out a roller. Do kids not throw rollers these days?

The youngsters seem to be surprised and amazed when I bust out a roller. Do kids not throw rollers these days?

Not many... hell, a lot of them don't even throw anhyzers or hyzer flips- just blast away with something overstable either forehand or backhand depending on the direction.

I'm a late bloomer to the sport and very upset I missed out on the game for much of my true "youth" as I would call it. I was 38 when I started playing and sadly living in Tuscaloosa, AL everything was about football and even though my hometown had courses it wasn't anything that was advertised or broadcasted to get anyone's attention to the sport. It wasn't until an older coworker invited me to toss some discs with him one weekend that I even learned of the game. I'm happy kids are even playing the game and know of it. I am attempting to make up for loss time and play as many courses as I can in the time I have left.

Latest posts