• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Do you stretch out and warm up beforehand? I am 54, and that makes a big difference for me. My nephew is about 30, but with some back problems from pitching baseball, and he hurt his back by not warming up, and then trying to throw his first throw really hard. Also, doctor recommended and really helps me heal quick when my back is hurting - 1 Tylenol Arthritis taken together with 2 Ibuprofen. I am sure using good form makes a difference, too, but throwing involves back, knees, shoulders, arm, etc., and at some point, even with good form, we will all face father time and our aches and pains from many years will catch up with us. I love basketball, but sadly, 1-2 years ago I got to where my knees just can't take the pounding any more.
Hmmm....I don't think this cocktail is a recipe that everyone will find helpful.

First, Tylenol Arthritis is simply, two regular Tylenol. Tylenol 325mg, Tylenol Extra Strength 500mg, Tylenol Arthritis 650mg.

Second, you shouldn't take both acetaminophen and ibuprofen at the same time. At least by recommendation of physicians and the manufacturers. The idea is to alternate between the two medicines. So, how close together can you take Tylenol and ibuprofen? Take one first and then four to six hours later take the other. They both do work differently and are helpful for different pain.

Third, if you are a drinker, there are far better analgesics/NSAIDS than Tylenol, since it is processed through the liver.

I think it is important to provide proper education, when dispensing medication advice.

It's hard to follow b o g e y haha. My suggestion was going to be to make sure that you are releasing that power somewhere, I have been very bad at turning my lead foot and with nowhere to release it than either ends up in my lower back or in my knees. Basically I've ended up jamming myself for years

Hmmm....I don't think this cocktail is a recipe that everyone will find helpful.

First, Tylenol Arthritis is simply, two regular Tylenol. Tylenol 325mg, Tylenol Extra Strength 500mg, Tylenol Arthritis 650mg.

Second, you shouldn't take both acetaminophen and ibuprofen at the same time. At least by recommendation of physicians and the manufacturers. The idea is to alternate between the two medicines. So, how close together can you take Tylenol and ibuprofen? Take one first and then four to six hours later take the other. They both do work differently and are helpful for different pain.

Third, if you are a drinker, there are far better analgesics/NSAIDS than Tylenol, since it is processed through the liver.

I think it is important to provide proper education, when dispensing medication advice.
My mother's ex got that from his doctor as, "Don't spread this around - most doctors won't tell you about it, and it might hurt my business - but try it for your back pain" - 1 Tylenol Arthritis and 2 Ibuprofen taken together. He said it worked amazing for his back pain, which he had often, I tried it, and it worked amazing for mine several times, depending which kind of back pain I have. Been 2-3 years since I had any back pain, and I can't remember if it helps upper or lower, but for me, the right one, I have had the kind of back pain I know would hurt for weeks, and this on the first day knocked it way down, and gone in a few days. If I get either upper or lower back pain, I try it immediately, and just hope it is the right one. One it helps a ton, and the other it doesn't do much at all - IDK why, but that's my experience with it.

You have some good suggestions above, especially about listening to a doctor first. As an older player my pain usually comes when I start playing after too much time off. I need to play frequently and/or do other exercise to maintain enough muscle strength and flexibility to avoid pain. Once a week is not enough for me to play without pain. I need to play at least three or four times a week to maintain conditioning to play without pain.

Aleve is my go to now for back and knee soreness. That and doing the "agility" exercises a couple times a week are helping me play with the younger guys. Eventually, I may have to simply throw with my arm in order not to hurt my knees, hips, and back.

At 66 now and I joined Planet Fitness this fall. All those pains/aches and problems old age has brought on are just about gone now that I go 5 days a week.
I'm throwing now like I did 15 years ago. (that's how it feels anyway)
I never guessed it would help this much and this quick.
Right now the weights I use are light for mainly stretching every thing. I'll had weight as the winter goes on.
Ibuprofen when I work out and Aleve on off days is my cocktail. I've learned what ru4por stated.

You have some good suggestions above, especially about listening to a doctor first. As an older player my pain usually comes when I start playing after too much time off. I need to play frequently and/or do other exercise to maintain enough muscle strength and flexibility to avoid pain. Once a week is not enough for me to play without pain. I need to play at least three or four times a week to maintain conditioning to play without pain.
i'll be 65 in January and i have been playing catch and then DG since i got my first Frisbee as a Christmas present in 1965 (i still have it!). between working 60 hrs a week average for 25 yrs in industrial metals and a high speed motorcycle crash in the mid 80's it hurts to get out of bed and goes downhill from there.

this year i haven't played as much mainly because my son had a serious car accident and a couple of more minor work related muscle injuries that have prevented him from playing. a good friend and lifetime DG bud came into town this past week and i had played on Wednesday after getting back on my excercise regimen for 2 days. we played a round on Monday and another at a billy-goat course on Tuesday. i hung in for a round and a half Tuesday but was getting to the point where couldn't play anywhere near the level i wanted so i bailed on the 2nd round after 9. i could barely walk or lift my right arm all day Wednesday but am almost back to my normal self today.

new goals for the off season and going forward. if i am not playing/practicing that day i will do my light 20 minute excercise and stretching regimen 3 times a day just to remain mobile and keep my heart rate up. we will see how that works. good luck to everyone else!

oh yeah... i forgot to mention the partial lung removal in the spring of 95". same operation Walt in Breaking Bad had (at least the scar) but they removed my lung, cut out the bad parts (cancer probably) scrubbed it clean with antibiotics and stapled it back in place. now THAT had a long recovery time. i still have nerve regeneration spasms where they cut through all the muscles. i'm guessing i'm a hardcore survivor and plan on throwing til the end. see ya on the course.

At 64, with scoliosis, I'm finding I can't do a lot of 'normal' stagger putting without my back hurting. Straddle putting is good for 15 feet in, but I don't have power outside of 15 feet. I've been trying a stagger putt, but after about 10 throws, my back complains. With my stagger putt (right foot forward) my right shoulder moves forward during the throw which then turns my hips and my back starts aching. So, I thought I'd try putting lefty....oh that was bad. But then I had an eureka moment.....I tried a righthand stagger putt, but with my left foot forward.....what a difference. I was making the putts since my right shoulder was back and in the throw it came forward to square. I was also able to putt more without feeling back pain. Seems weird, but it is working. Now to see if it will work on the course.

I've tried the off foot putt more than a few times, actually so much so that I checked to see which way was "right". Either way it works decent, congrats on less pain. That's always a win!

Im about to start week 3 of the disc golf strong offseason program. Turkish get ups are kicking my butt! I think its good though, my chest feels likes its really opening up and shoulders are feeling less rolled forward and more neutral. I feel my core improving as well. 15 minutes of turkish get ups...oh my god. lol

Do any of you REALLY older guys wear specific underwear to keep your testicles out of the way?

Like if these things keep getting droopier I'm thinking boxer shorts might be gone with my 40's.