• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Sup Bitches. I'm here to stay.
I remember when my dad turned 40, my grandpa made up signs and drove us kids down so we could be as embarrassing as possible. We picketed the liquor store where he worked part time when construction was slow.

"Lordy, lordy. Daddy is 40!!!"

Haha, one person bought him a mini airplane size bottle.. that was it.

Most of my disc golf is played on my property lol. 2 1/4 acres and two baskets ( so far ) and no need to kick anyone off my lawn lol
I do 90 % of my throwing at a local park that's maybe 3 acres and has 3 baskets. Mature trees around the edge with a walkway make it interesting. I'm good at missing the people, mostly, but not so much with the trees. I play practice rounds the week before a tournament, but not much more. Seems to be working.

I do not mind people talking while I throw, but music bugs the dickens out of me, especially the heavy metal, Hip Hop etc the youngsters play. I could probably tolerate slow jazz or Bee Bop, but nobody listens to jazz at a disc golf park.

Time to accept my new reality. My distance drivers barely, and I do mean barely, go further than my 7 speeds. My game is now about upshots, putting and playing for par. I'll hang on to a couple of distance drivers for windy days, but I just traded in 3 and acquired a new mid.

Time to accept my new reality. My distance drivers barely, and I do mean barely, go further than my 7 speeds. My game is now about upshots, putting and playing for par. I'll hang on to a couple of distance drivers for windy days, but I just traded in 3 and acquired a new mid.
As a 55 year old, wondering, what age are you that this is happening? I have been playing one year, so still improving, but I know that won't last forever.

As a 55 year old, wondering, what age are you that this is happening? I have been playing one year, so still improving, but I know that won't last forever.
I'm not aging well so you shouldn't be concerned with how well I am doing at 63. Arthritis is robbing me of speed, strength and flexibility even though I am otherwise fit. I play with people 10 and 15 years older than myself who can still out perform me, and have greater endurance. Hopefully, you'll age as well as they have.

Props to you! At 67, I find myself in a similar mindset.

I love my 11 speed Waves, but throwing on a football field for controlled testing, they go only about 20 feet farther than my 9 speed Viruses.

I'm not quite ready to leave the Waves home, but I'm going to keep working on my form, with the goal of stretching out the Viruses.

I'll continue to carry a Clash Wild Honey, Westside King and a Grace for those times when the winds are favorable, or I'm feeling better than usual. I'm on the hunt for a go to fh fairway driver that will fly far for me.

I'm not aging well so you shouldn't be concerned with how well I am doing at 63. Arthritis is robbing me of speed, strength and flexibility even though I am otherwise fit. I play with people 10 and 15 years older than myself who can still out perform me, and have greater endurance. Hopefully, you'll age as well as they have.
Wonderful sentiment. I hear good things about yoga. 😀

Yup I got an internet friend who's much older and more capable than me, kinda bonded over a x cyclone he couldn't unload so I shot him $20. I had to shatter his illusion of me and admit I'm still under 50, a couple years and I'm going to pull the old "Baby Grand" trick. I got my ass handed to me by a 70 yr old legend the season before last... my career in the trades helped with my early game but it ain't helping now.

I'll continue to carry a Clash Wild Honey, Westside King and a Grace for those times when the winds are favorable, or I'm feeling better than usual. I'm on the hunt for a go to fh fairway driver that will fly far for me.
I am 55 years old, playing one year this month, and so far max out distance about 250-275', with maybe a very rare one longer than that, that was probably slightly grip locked and went too far right. I like about 150 gram Katanas and 150 gram Terns as my best 'easy distance' discs. I do have two VIP King Airs that go far, but too under stable and hard to control. I usually bag 1 of my 3 Fission Waves for a little less distance. A little less still, and I like the Valkyrie, and that is the disc where I can start to go up to heavier weights and still find the disc flies decent for me.

I occasionally play with an octagenarian. He throws understable 130g drivers and breaks 300' regularly. I don't know how he does it. The disc moves so slow it would block traffic in a school zone, but it just hovers straight down the middle. I've tried lightweight drivers, but I haven't seen any distance advantage. I'm getting my best drives with Mauls and Underworlds when throwing bh, but my fh requires something with more hss. My first thoughts are a Discmania FD, Discraft Athena, Innova Hawkeye or an Orbit Ice River. I've thrown an Explorer, and it's a great control driver but unremarkable when thrown for distance.

at 65 (forehand dominant) i am still throwing my 156 Bosses as a main driver. i now carry only 1 Nuke (158 12 yrs in the bag), 3 Bosses (2 domey U/S) and a flat top G-Star 158 for a meat hook. the rest of my bag consists of a CE Leopard 156, a champion Roadrunner 160 and 6 putters.

if the trend continues i will soon be reduced to carrying a nutsack with a couple of putters.

I occasionally play with an octagenarian. He throws understable 130g drivers and breaks 300' regularly. I don't know how he does it. The disc moves so slow it would block traffic in a school zone, but it just hovers straight down the middle. I've tried lightweight drivers, but I haven't seen any distance advantage. I'm getting my best drives with Mauls and Underworlds when throwing bh, but my fh requires something with more hss. My first thoughts are a Discmania FD, Discraft Athena, Innova Hawkeye or an Orbit Ice River. I've thrown an Explorer, and it's a great control driver but unremarkable when thrown for distance.
I am 55 and playing 1 year. My experience was, when I was maybe throwing legit 5-7 speed, my best distance bomber was 139 gram Terns (12 speed), at about 225'. Now I am throwing maybe 8-9 speed legit, and my best distance bombers are 150 gram Katanas and 150 gram Terns, at 250' consistent, 275' real good, and a rare hard throw off target right might go further. The 125-130 gram stuff was always too flippy and inconsistent for me. The lighter weight distance drivers are rough in the wind, and are more touchy - they require more accurate releases - finesse.

I'm 61 and have the same distance with most of my discs. My mids go 250', 8 speed TL3 about 275 and 13/14 speed drivers about 300". The question for each hole is the variance of a 13/14 speed driver worth the extra 25-50 feet for the current hole?
At Throw down the mountain at Olympus I nearly Aced hole 9 by hitting the band with my 5 peed Hex. I threw the entire tournament with 6 discs. Putter, Dart, Hex, TL3, Lace and Unlace. Had a few very long drives with the Lace that were greatly added by big elevation changes downhill. I'm working on breaking my habit of throwing everything on a Hyzer flip. It helps with keeping distance up but it's impossible for me to get anything to go right, turn. My Unlace, Mamba, Leopard, Sail, all go straight. Anything stable or OS goes left, just depends on how much. This makes holes that dog leg right harder then need be. Working on form to throw flatter release.