• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Older players

IVER

Bogey Member
I started playing almost two years ago and just turned 70 this past summer. I love this sport and throw / play just about every day. The club here in Albuquerque is very active and VERY welcoming, even to an old fart like me. I am always the oldest player by at least 7 years and usually a lot more.
Between videos, blogs and the people I play with, I am up to my hairline with advice. I am at the classic plateau of 280'. Due to an extreme shortage of meniscus in both knees I don't do a run up and throw from a standstill.
What can I expect playing with others my age? Any other Legends out there to chat with?

Throwing 280' is above average for Am Legends in my experience. Only a few Pro Legends can get out to 325' in the air and some can get there with rollers. Hopefully there are a few legend age players on DGCR who will comment.

I started playing almost two years ago and just turned 70 this past summer. I love this sport and throw / play just about every day. The club here in Albuquerque is very active and VERY welcoming, even to an old fart like me. I am always the oldest player by at least 7 years and usually a lot more.
Between videos, blogs and the people I play with, I am up to my hairline with advice. I am at the classic plateau of 280'. Due to an extreme shortage of meniscus in both knees I don't do a run up and throw from a standstill.
What can I expect playing with others my age? Any other Legends out there to chat with?

Hi Dave!

Thanks for the response. I am by nature competitive to a fault and it is constructive for me to hear that my drive distance is OK. My accurate is gradually improving as are up shots and putting. At times I sit and watch the strong players make really poor shots and it makes me less critical of my own 'learning opportunities'.

Wow! 280' at 70 years old is great! I would think you are 20'-50' longer than most Legends I have played with. Have you tried forehand rollers?

My dad is in the same boat and near 300 with no run up and joint issues is not bad at all. He's learned rollers and can get those out to 350 or so.

I am working on absolutely everything and having a great time. Just finished reading a book a friend mentioned, Zen Golf. Could have used the calming techniques a LONG time ago. Would have helped at the controls of the single engine, single seat fighter jet in my youth.

get ahold of peter shive. hes always willing to help, he's 70 something and has taken his game to the top.

Same story here, I'm 62 and just started playing three years ago and I learned to throw standing still. I actually have an edge now playing in the snow. Our local course has no tee pads and the young guys can't do a run-up in eight inches of snow.;)

For your age you are doing great and an inspiration for us all that we will be able to still throw at that age. Thank you

My father, Ron Byrd, lives near you in Rio Rancho. He will be 84 this year and is always looking for a partner. He won Worlds last year in the Grand Legends division (first ever winner in that division).

If you can't do a run up, he'll teach you forehand. You'll be surprised when you see him throw 300' with just a flick of the wrist.

Send me a private message and I'll see if I can get you in touch with him.

Yooperman, Great Avitar!

I'm 55 and am shortening my run up on backhand throws. I've found that if I keep my form clean, I'm not losing very much distance, if any at all. Forehand, I've always used a one step throw or a standstill.

As far as 280 feet at 70 years old... WOW! I hope to be alive at 70.

Wow 280 feet at age 70! That's great you've got me beat and I'm 15 years younger than you. By the way my goal for when I reach 70 is to still be on my own two feet. Some days my goal is to just reach 70.

By the way I really like the term "Legent". What is the criteria to be considered a Legend?

I don't know many people of any division or age group who can throw 280' from a standstill, so that is awesome! If you can find guys like Jim Palmieri and Royce Racinowski from Rochester, NY I am sure they would be able to give you some solid chat time. They have been in the game pretty much since the inception back in the '70's and '80's.

70 years of age and not yet defeated by gravity. I still laugh at the designation. One of the guys I play with callers me 'fossil'. I think the next older age group is called 'collectible' (just kidding).

Howdy Iver!
Just an fyi, there's a family in New Mexico that has attended the first two disc golf events in the National Senior Games (where we were a demonstration sport), and I'll give you a little inspirational story about them, my dad and a World Champ...

I played in the first event in Cleveland (age 52 in 2013), and my dad came to watch. He enjoyed seeing disc golf but was really wowed by NM's own Olive Bolander taking home a Gold medal at age 85. He decided he'd give it a try if it was held again. Fast forward to 2015 in Minneapolis, and he played with all of us, and got tips playing with Floridian and multi-World Champ Paulie Bagwell (age 75+). Because dad was in his own division (80-85), he took home a Gold medal on his 80th birthday, playing only his fourth round of disc golf ever (besting my Silver in the 50-55 group this time out). He did get to meet Olive (now 87 & repeating with an age group win) and three members of her family, all from New Mexico (I think they each took home a medal).

So, moral of the story, I hope we can all keep on enjoying this great sport for many years to come, and keep meeting new, 'old' players! :clap:

Last edited:
My father, Ron Byrd, lives near you in Rio Rancho. He will be 84 this year and is always looking for a partner. He won Worlds last year in the Grand Legends division (first ever winner in that division).

If you can't do a run up, he'll teach you forehand. You'll be surprised when you see him throw 300' with just a flick of the wrist.

Send me a private message and I'll see if I can get you in touch with him.

As a forehand-dominant player, I will go on the record and say that a 300'+ forehand from a standstill is better than the majority of throwers, regardless of age. Knowing that an 84 year old can still juice forehands gives me great hope for my future old man days, so thanks to him for that.

Not quite a standstill....does take a slow step or two. His distance has eroded as he has aged, but can still get 300 when he snaps a good one.

If you were to meet him, you might think he was ten or fifteen years younger than he is. Always has taken care of himself.

Here's a pic of him (far right) on a mixed card in Lewisville, TX. He played Adv Sr GM because that was the highest age protected division available.

Note that he is still extremely popular with the lady golfers.

Attachments

• dad at lewisville.jpg
    dad at lewisville.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 153

Latest posts