• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One day in Charlotte NC

I am going to be in Charlotte NC for a day and have the afternoon open. I'd like to play a round or 2. What course is a must play?

Also, with the hurricane just coming through, will it be dry enough to play by this Friday?

Depends on what kind of round you want. If you want a signature beat down course that you'll remember getting whipped by for a long time you can't go wrong with Nevin. Or renny gold for that matter

What kind of beat down? Distance or technicality?

I'm from California and I'm used to fairly open hard pan courses, so I want to try something we don't have at home.

Unless the locals have changed things around, I would suggest AVOIDING Renaissance. I know there was some talk on here about improving the layout and signage, but I got hopelessly lost out there (I'm an Eagle Scout and I had a map). Unless you can get a course guide that is familiar with the layout, I would skip it in favor of trying something else.

I went down to Charlotte for work a few days last spring and really enjoyed a few other courses much more than Renny. Nevin was great as was RL Smith and Eager/Angry Beaver. If you're north of Charlotte, Bradford and Yadkin County were fun stops as well. I've also heard good things about Kilborne and Winget although I haven't been myself.

Renny gold will take up your whole afternoon- if you want to get 2 rounds in I would go with Nevin and RL smith.

Nevin for sure but I also like Winget and Goat Island which are a bit out of town. If you are around on the weekend I highly recommend Canaan in Rock Hill but you have to sign up on dgu.com and can only play on Saturday and Sunday.

What day will you be in town. As I am retired, I can be a guide for Renny, RL Smith, or Winget. Next week we lose daylight savings time (impossible to putt after 5:15-5:30). Renny Gold will be a 2.5-3 hour round, RL Smith about 2 hours, and Winget about 1.5 hours. If doing noon to 5, you should be able to squeeze in Renny and Winget (only 10-15 minutes apart). All 3 are distinctly different wooded courses.

If here on a Tuesday, we have an evening putting league, which is a blast at a brewery.

I am going to be in Charlotte NC for a day and have the afternoon open. I'd like to play a round or 2. What course is a must play?

Also, with the hurricane just coming through, will it be dry enough to play by this Friday?

Yes, most courses will be just fine.

What side of town will you be on? That has some impact.

Avoid Renny unless you have a guide.

How good are you? If you're a stud, Winget might seem too easy, but it's a fine fun short course. RL Smith is also mostly 1-shot holes, but longer and harder than Winget. Both are pretty darn good, but again, mostly 1-shot and "too easy" for super-pros.

Nevin is well-described above.

Canaan?!?!! What the heck?! Never heard of it (them). Wow. That shorty course looks right in my supersoft/roc wheelhouse.

Nevin long tees is the best challenge/test in Charlotte.

Canaan?!?!! What the heck?! Never heard of it (them). Wow. That shorty course looks right in my supersoft/roc wheelhouse.

Camp Canaan gold tees are an absolute beast, very much gold level. Didn't try out the short course due to time.

RL Smith is my vote for most fun round you can have btw. Love that course

The Scrapyard is one of my favorites in Charlotte. RL Smith and Nevin are also great courses.

Camp Canaan gold tees are an absolute beast, very much gold level. Didn't try out the short course due to time.

From the review of the short course, it sounds like only 10 holes, that you play from 2 sets of tees.

Is the long course 20 distinct and totally separate holes (with two tee pads on each of the 20 holes)?

RL Smith.

Nevin.

Both excellent examples of "Charlotte" DG. And both do-able in the same afternoon!

I have no idea why some folks are recommending Renny. It's a disaster right now, and not one of the top 3 courses in the area even when it's navigable and the signage is correct.

Other favorites include:

The Scrapyard.
Plantations Ruins at Winget.
Bradford.

The short course is 100% separate from the long course. The long course has two tee pads for almost if not all the holes, and there is one basket per hole. No throwing to the same basket from different tee pads.

I have played the short course once but don't remember the layout of it. I would recommend not going for just the short course though.

As for other courses, rl smith is unforgettable. Winget is fun but not a destination course.

Latest posts