• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Online or at a local store?

chow

Bogey Member
I have a quick question for all of you...and maybe something we all need to think about.

I like that you can buy everything that you want online, I mean before the internet and sites like discgolfcenter you hopefully had to find discs in some random hobby store or by some dude in the VW bus of your fav course. Not any more my friend.

Now with new courses going in all the time and people wanting to popularize the sport, who do you think does a better job?

The online sites or your local dg store?

IMO, I think the local DG store.

Sure you can buy the newest wierd "merlot" Flash SS in triple ESP limited edition Mongolian Open fund raiser disc, but you get it in the mail and the only thing it's good at is holding the door open.

Whereas when you buy from a local store you support the local economy, local disc courses, local clubs, and people like you that not only want to "grow" the sport but get involved as well.

Isn't it worth the extra $1.59 to support local disc small business?

Also I love to hold a disc in my hand before purchase. Especially with Innova molds when you never now if you are going to get that bizarre understable Wraith or even more bizarre overstable Archangel.

Food for thought.

I've never bought a disc online, at least not yet. I'm not sure if I could give up being able to hold it, feel it, and pick out the perfect disc at the store. Plus, it makes the experience of buying the disc that much more memorable and I enjoy and appreciate it that much more. It's a lot more fun to get up and go to the store than sit and look at a virtual store, too.

I have to buy most of my discs online. Myrtle Beach has Dicks sporting goods which sells discs, but only specific ones. None of which I'm looking for. Now I just got back from going home to Iowa, I love going into the Drugtowns there and being able to look through and SHOP! I like to snoop and browse! There is something about holding it in your hand, and contemplating: "Do I want 2 cheap Dx's or do I want to skip lunch and buy the Ty-dyed Champion for 20$?"

Go to the store to hold it, maybe buy the first of that model. Then the internet for replacements or to find the perfect combo of weight and color (the major factors that really make the disc go!!!)

It really depends on the store. Stores like DiscNation in Austin, TX, Disc N Dat in Florence, KY, or The Grapevine in Chattanooga, TN (3 of the best I have been too with huge selections of multiple brands) are obviously the most ideal. But if your local store still only sells Innova DX then you better get on a computer.

I too love the experience of going into the store and getting the experience. There is a "Pro Shop" here in town that is okay IMO, but never seems to have what I want when I want it. The local outfitter shop that sales DG is Seasonal. They are my favorite place to get my Innova and Gateway when they have them in stock. Then there is the General Store! The only place I know where I can buy Auto parts, Hardware, Camping and hunting gear, and cook ware along with my Discraft discs. They have great prices selection can be brutal at times depending on when you hit them per reorder. But for online www.gottagogottathrow.com Has been by the far the best for me. I have used their site several times for both new and misprint plastic. Fast afforadable shipping and eager to help. That is where i picked up my tourney bag.

Our local club is tough to get a hold of the guy selling the discs and then it is pretty much Innova solely. I have a little of everything in my bag.

If you can buy local, but don't fear the online store.

I do like being able to see and hold the disc in my hand, but the only local store in my area that sells discs is Play It Again Sports, they have a lot of discs, but not a wide variety. Also, they are way over-priced as compared to online stores by $3-4 per disc, that adds up quick. The other downside is weight, most of what they carry locally are max weight discs, and I don't throw max weight.

I order from disc golf center, and can hand pick weight and color, plus the cumulative rewards and free shipping is just hard to beat.

I feel lucky to have disc golf world in KC. They have a huge selection, sale prices are better than online sales, friendly/helpful. Prices are typically the same as online except no shipping.
I'm all about giving props to local businesses who do it right and giving them the sale versus online even if it is a little more money. Like others have said, I can hold the disc and ask questions from guys who have been playing for years.

If I could, I would buy my discs at a store, but that just isnt an option for me.

If I had a shop nearby that had a good selection, I probably would be willing to pay a little more to be able to hold the discs in my hand, and support the local disc golf scene. As far as I know, I don't have anything like that within a reasonable driving distance, so I end up ordering, or finding cool shops on my roadtrips and stocking up.

I enjoy the local store here in Phoenix. I just have to get in and get out quick otherwise I will just spend too much! Thank god they don't have those little shopping baskets there or I would be in trouble! I certainly understand the concept of supporting your local store, and I wish that there was more donation boxes at local course to give money to to help with those costs. However onlie shops make it so easy and I typically prefer a specific color and specific wieght and the local DG store doesn't always have what I want. Probably 65% of my purchases are online.

I really wish there was one around the more I think of it. When I decide I want a disc, I usually would like to have it RIGHT NOW and would love to stop OMW to the course.

It'd be nice if I could buy all of my discs locally, but the only local place I can get them is an hour drive away. I'd much rather go to disc golf center and have them come to me for free :)

I do both. In Raleigh there are several places I can go buy disc. I just sometimes find it easier to order online. Of all the disc I have ordered I have only had a few I wasn't happy with as far as the feel and look of the disc goes.

seeing as how i dont have a credit card or bank accout, I rarely order online ( ONCE, for my K.C.worlds fundraiser, win 9 baskets aftershock disc.)

And the main reason I don't have the card or bank is cause I like to shop local and don't need um.
Granted, sometimes its a pain in the ass, but I bet I have given banks and credits cards less profit that any of the people with those things!

Good to see people who have a store close frequent it.

People who do not have one anywhere near them and know there is a market should think about going in business.

What made me think about all this was a new store just went in this small town south of Seattle and between two of the coolest courses in the area.

While I was in there looking for 45 minutes and talking to the owner he was giving me the lowdown on some new course possibilities in the metro area and advice on new discs he had to sell.

I felt closer to my local dg scene in a long time.

Plus I found out that I didn't like the Vibram VP putter despite draining a 20 foot putt with it on my first throw.

I also realized how much I love the Opto plastic by latitude.

A disc golf store does so much more for growing the sport than any ideas I have seen in such a long time.

I walked out with 3 new discs, two I have never thrown before and excited about my community.

Small business is the real stimulus package....the little guy taking care of the little guy.

Cheers :)

Literally half of my discs were purchased online, the other half were bought in store or are trades from this website. I just moved just over a month ago, before that there wasn't a disc store for over 45 mintues away, and that was just a local pro shop that had a very small selection. My only real choice was to buy online (no point in opening dg store because there wasn't a course for 40 minutes in that area either.)

Now that I live in the Twin Cities area, gotta go gotta throw, fairway flyerz, air traffic, and etc. are options.

It all comes down to that I buy the disc that I want, if I can find it in the store, great, if not I'll buy it online. I like being able to hold the disc first because I hate domey discs.

Latest posts