• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Online retailers who sell by "range"

Hmmmm.....

Wild conjecture and innuendo presented as facts here is not really about harm, it is about personal responsibility and maturity.
I don't really care about the tax practices of GGGT, the statement was a polite way of determining if you are a troll or were interested in actual discussions about on-line disc retail.
Your primary response is more adolescent rumor mongering and irresponsible storytelling.
I have found little need for the ignore feature provided on this site. Congrats.

I threw in one line of obvious conjecture and in-your-end-o, and clearly did not present it as fact. YOU blew this up into a moral superiority contest. You are clearly a Troll and I really don't have any use for your sensationalist BS.

Back on topic after that Troll ru4por sidetracked us...

I go to GGGT in person all the time. I never purchase from them online. Why would anyone get similar to what they want when they can pay exactly the same for exactly what they want elsewhere? I shop at MS, ID, and DGC online so I can see the exact weight, color, and sometimes a picture of the disc I am buying. I cannot fathom a situation where I would choose to get lesser service for the same price.

I'm surprised I didn't see Clearwater mentioned at all, but I've never had an issue with them. They let you specify weight and color and if they don't have the exact match, I get a call or email with options.

Im ok with a weight range as a few grams wont really affect my throw or how my disc flies. I am however a bit more picky on color. Sure when it comes down to it color makes no difference, its just preference. However, i throw a bit of axiom discs and a lot of their color combinations are just horrid. I do prefer the ability to pick my exact color combination through a brick and mortar store or through dgc which has actual pics. Lets face it, sometimes you see a disc with a sick swirly or a sweet color you just really want and other times its such a fug ugly color you would rather just pass. But i understand that doing an exact inventory on every disc when your stock is in the thousands and changing every day can be a logistical nightmare, so i dont hold it against retailers who dont.

I just find it an odd practice to sell individuals goods that could be exactly what they want, but also could be slightly different. I can't think of any other hardgood industry where this would apply? Maybe in the Toy market place, if you order an action figure from an assortment and get batman instead of superman, but even in that scenario that causes a negative guest experience. And as others have said, I know I can look elsewhere for exactly what I want and I don't notice +or- a few grams for drivers (putters on the other hand... huge difference between a 150/160 class and max wright). It does come across as lazy inventory planning, especially as you think of how they order from distributors. I would think they would know what is coming in each casepack, i.e. X amount of discs in 170's vs 150's, but maybe I am giving the disc golf industry supply chain too much credit? It does seem like certain online shops get more max or close to max weight than others.

As this sport grows and other online retailers pop up, I could see this model for selling discs by range slowly hurt companies.

My perception is that it happens all the time, but it could just be that I'm cursed. I've had three bad iphones, out of about ten, and two bad blackberrys, out of five, and two bad samsungs, out of twenty, no, they weren't all for me. I've had parts go out on cars, that should have lasted throughout the lifetime of the car, and always had on every other car I had. Don't get me started on clothing, and flaws in design and handwork. Computers, home appliances, power tools, batteries, you name it, consistency just isn't there.

Honestly, quality used to be better, somewhere in the 70s the general quality went off track by my perception. But if you asked me to bet on that, I wouldn't. I think this notion that quality in discs should be higher, or is less than in other industies, is based on immediacy. I've got that disc in front of me, and I'm thinking about the issue.

it is 2016. there are countless easy to use storefront / web creation apps and managers to use. to not list individual discs with weight/color at this point is just lazy business. regardless of size of inventory, it is not a tough endeavor. and once it is done, maintaining it to add new inventory is fairly trivial.

for obvious reasons myself and most people in my circle of disc golf acquaintances only purchase from retailers that list the exact disc, or from ebay where it goes without saying.

to not use a modern system and storefront while competitors are beginning to do so, is just poor business and asking for a decline in sales.

then again, this is disc golf we are talking about.

it is 2016. there are countless easy to use storefront / web creation apps and managers to use. to not list individual discs with weight/color at this point is just lazy business. regardless of size of inventory, it is not a tough endeavor. and once it is done, maintaining it to add new inventory is fairly trivial.

for obvious reasons myself and most people in my circle of disc golf acquaintances only purchase from retailers that list the exact disc, or from ebay where it goes without saying.

to not use a modern system and storefront while competitors are beginning to do so, is just poor business and asking for a decline in sales.

then again, this is disc golf we are talking about.

Yes, but in a small business where your profit margins are pretty thin to begin with, the ROI on upgrading a inventory system may not be feasible.

I'm surprised I didn't see Clearwater mentioned at all, but I've never had an issue with them. They let you specify weight and color and if they don't have the exact match, I get a call or email with options.

Except when they don't which has happened to me on like 3-4 occasions to the point that I won't deal with them anymore.
They have sent me the wrong thing on each of those occasions.
Its pretty clear that they have sold what I ordered in store while I waited for shipping.
(also, they have shipped things so poorly that they have either warped or nearly fallen out of the poor packaging.... seriously, no idea how they maintain an internet clientele.)

Last edited:
Disc Golf Center = problem solved, and they are pretty cheap plus free shipping.

There are a few other retailers that also let you choose exactly what you want.

No need to settle.

Latest posts