• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Opening a shop

IllustratorVir

Eagle Member
Hey guys, I have been toying with the idea of opening a disc golf shop. Offering discs, baskets, lessons, running monthly tournaments, events, etc. Any other shop owners out there that can give me some advice for starting up or tips to get started?

i'm pretty sure it won't work in a cave...

imo there are maybe a half dozen locations in the whole country where it could work... even then you'd be primarily dependent on internet sales...

This crappy Spinksi's place here sells over 5000 frisbees a month in the summer time i heard. His shop is located pretty close to a popular beginners course.

Try to find a small but popular course where alot of new players go. Setup shop near by.

I've thought it'd be a good idea to get an ice creme truck and make your shop mobile.... plus you could sell ice cream.... everybody loves ice cream!

good luck breaking even, if you keep overhead to a minimum.

unless you're well off and looking to basically do some off-time philanthropy with your dg scene, i'd seriously consider whether you want a shop or simply want to run some events.

events are much more potentially profitable than a "disc shop" of any kind.

I don't think it would be very profitable, if at all, just selling equipment to locals and traveling disc golfers (unless you have the ideal location of which there are maybe a handful). Lessons may help but then you are spending more money to have someone in the shop while you are out giving them. I think any shop like this would have to do major legwork in other areas, like internet sales, or selling more than just disc stuff, to stay afloat. Maybe build your shop on hole 9 so you can sell concessions and charge for the restroom. lol.

Years ago some noob came up to me and a buddy in the parking lot at one of our parks and said he was opening a shop called "Fairway to Heaven" and asked what we thought about it.
My buddy didn't say much because he was uneducated and just basically played for fun.
I came out and gave him a whole clusterfuck of reasons as to why it wasn't going to be very profitable. In a town with 3 courses, only about 15-20 people show up for Sunday doubles each weekend. A separate group of about 7-10 people show up to league on Tuesdays.
They get the majority of their discs from tournament winnings. The rest of the town is full of non-chelont(I know I spelled it wrong) disc golfers that might carry 1-3 discs, and not know the difference between a Roc and Boss. They'll probably buy 3-4 discs per year if you're LUCKY.

Unless you go into internet sales, you're really not going to have a ton of income. At least for my area where the disc golf scene isn't too big. On top of that (Internet sales), your prices have to either be super awesome, or you have to have free shipping to bring people to press the *BUY* button. I refuse to pay $17-20 for a single Star disc (shipping included). Which is why I order multiple discs when I order.

Just look at the scene you're trying to make it in. I tried to get a whole dye thing going and I donated WAY more than the business that I got coming back to me. After donating close to 20-25 dyes (New plastic), I maybe got 2 people emailing me asking for something custom.
It got to the point where I only really do it for close friends because it's not worth the effort.
Anyways. That's just my thoughts on it.

mzuleger said:
I've thought it'd be a good idea to get an ice creme truck and make your shop mobile.... plus you could sell ice cream.... everybody loves ice cream!

There is an ice cream truck here in my college town that drives up and down the bars at night... gets a lot of business from drunk people hearing that ice cream truck song and going "oh shit! we want some ice cream!" and then geeking out over getting it from a truck. That same truck cruises up and down the park out DG course is on and I ALWAYS want to get a freaking ice cream...

Anyway as for the thread subject Hazey Shade in Dayton does pretty well despite its location. But there are a bunch of courses a half hour in every direction and it is coupled with a rather large head shop...

i open a store 4 years ago .. i wish you good luck man i lost my butt on the first year .. i sell about 200 disc a month

discgolfonly inc 423-202-4800

Latest posts