• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Opinions on glow

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Played my first glow round tonight. Bagged the following:

Moonshine Jade
Halloween Lizottl
Glow Stal
Glow Philo Destroyer

I'd never thrown any of these discs before, but liked all the flights. The Stal was much more manageable than I anticipated as a rubber arm.

Above all, it was an abnormally warm Minnesota evening for damn near December. I found the glow on all these discs to excel on the dark holes on the course, but be hard to track on the brighter holes. Kept them juiced with a 1200 lumen re-chargable lantern.
Did not have a glow putter.
Overall, it was a blast. The Stal and the Jade kept glowing the brightest. The Lizottl did pretty well, with only the rim glowing. The Innova's glow worked well when freshly charged, but faded the quickest.

From what I've read. Kastaplast and MVP(eclipse 2) are the glow kings.

What are your thoughts?

PS: not a Lat 64 thread. Was forced to choose a prefix.

Played my first glow round tonight. Bagged the following:

Moonshine Jade
Halloween Lizottl
Glow Stal
Glow Philo Destroyer

I'd never thrown any of these discs before, but liked all the flights. The Stal was much more manageable than I anticipated as a rubber arm.

Above all, it was an abnormally warm Minnesota evening for damn near December. I found the glow on all these discs to excel on the dark holes on the course, but be hard to track on the brighter holes. Kept them juiced with a 1200 lumen re-chargable lantern.
Did not have a glow putter.
Overall, it was a blast. The Stal and the Jade kept glowing the brightest. The Lizottl did pretty well, with only the rim glowing. The Innova's glow worked well when freshly charged, but faded the quickest.

From what I've read. Kastaplast and MVP(eclipse 2) are the glow kings.

What are your thoughts?

PS: not a Lat 64 thread. Was forced to choose a prefix.

Never tried actually "charging" discs. I always use the LED lights which work great. I don't want to stunt my night vision so I never use a flashlight.

I think I'll try this this year though just to see what happens. I have tested some glow discs after buying them and Innova and Discraft aren't great. RPM and MVP have been the best of the ones I've tried. I've heard Kasta is great but I can't confirm.

MVP and Kastaplast glow are by-far the best. Glow golf is immensely more fun with good glow discs, rather than lights taped to them. Wooded courses offer the most fun, partly because it's darker and it's fun to see the glow discs kick off trees. Open courses are also a blast. I bought 18 puck lights from Amazon for like $50 and use them to light up the baskets.

MVP glow, with a UV light is my favorite way to play. The MVP discs are so bright, you can almost use them as a flashlight half of the time, to see where you are walking.

Kastaplast and MVP are the brightest glowing discs IMO. The color glow Berg X's are sweet!
The glow Clash Berry (BlueBerry) Glow is pretty good too, the glow in blue is a unique change.

If you want to spend a ludicrous amount of money, Full Glow Vibram hangs right there with any current production glow.

Probably the three best (current) companies glow is Kastaplast, MVP, and the often overlooked Lone Star. Each has some of the brightest and longest lasting glow I've encountered.

I would echo the above that Kasta, MVP, Lonestar are all fantastic and the less known/available Launch DG also makes an awesome glow.

The new Gateway Superglow is great as well and the best base plastic glow in whatever the Tarpit glow they run for RDG is.

Innova/Trilogy/Discraft all range from pretty okay to terrible.

The Divergent glow is pretty good also in their floppy plastic.

I have an Eclipse MVP Reactor that I keep in my bag for when league play goes to long and it gets dark. I 'charge' it with an UV flashlight so I don't mess up my night vision. I've found it keeps its glow longer than other brands do.

A UV light is a big help. Keep it to a handful or so of LED lights. They have some massive ones, big overkill, IMO and impacts your night vision more. I throw mostly glow discs and have a couple with MVP stickers on them. The stickers are great, if care is given to attaching them. My MVP Envy does not hold a charge well at all. I have a couple other discs that are just crappy glow. From all different companies. The best strategy for glow is to keep your night vision. Hopefully the league makes an effort to help everyone understand how to protect darkness. Lights work well too....if care is given to attaching. Glad you had fun....it makes the winter a bit more bearable. It is a cool time of the day to be out in the woods too.

18650 uv lights with high power pcb diodes are undefeated, takes 2 hours to charge and lasts several glow rounds. I carry a mini single uv 18650 and one that can draw 60 watts and takes 3 of them with a uv filtered lens and in one flash of on off I can light a disc up more than leaving one of those massive mvp lights on for minutes. Blows all other types of uv lights out of the water.

Glow stickers on all discs that aren't mvp glow is the only way to go if you want to play disc golf instead of hey where did my disc go let's spend 10 minutes looking, the vinyl bedroom stickers are my favorite.

Currently only kastaplast is comparable to mvp and it's still less than half as good.

Some people seem to be convinced just a little glow is good enough(innova, moonshine, discraft ect) but after a year of lots of glow rounds I'm convinced they're full of shit and are always in need of help finding their disc in the dark.

In pitch black no moon nights sure you could get away with mediocre glow discs but the instant there's any moonlight that half assed glow is immediately as good as no glow.

Also the huge advantage of high power uv lights is they'll light up discs that don't glow, yellows oranges blues some whites light up like road reflectors and stand out vividly in thick woods or in leaf piles.

Echoing the UV led flashlight instead of a powerful 'regular light' that casts a basically white light

The brightness of normal white light makes it hard for people's eyes to adjust to the darkness. UV charges glow discs and tape great, without messing up night vision. And they don't cost much online.

Just make sure you keep any light shining basically at the ground. You really don't want to get either type shining up around someone's head.

*steps down from soap box*

Yup I use cheap letion? Ones off Amazon that are focusable, with the uv option, cheap and when focused I get a solid 200' mini spot, two brightness levels, and strobe haha ha bah. I could do without that function.

Mvp and Kastaplast are tops, unless you have a glowfly. Kasta is better for picking up a residual twilight charge with no flashlight, MVP is brighter for longer fully charged with uv or some sunshine. It's also neat how they charge a little from hand warmth.

Mvp fully charged is almost too bright.. haha "Turn your discs down Mike, I can't see". I really really like the envy in the proto runs, electron and the eclipse. The proto eclipse is softer and less stable than regular eclipse, some of the colour glow is a little dimmer which isn't entirely a bad thing.

Also looking for discs with a uv light is awesome at night. If you have a fluorescent dayglo rim and also if you just shine it past it does a quick charge when you do lights out then there it is.

I've been playing glow rounds in MN for the last couple of weeks. My weapons are a Kastaplast Jarn and two MVP Proxies--one Eclipse and one Total Eclipse. The Jarn is more translucent and doesn't glow as brightly as the MPV discs, but hasn't really been hard to find either. I carry a UV flashlight to recharge every few holes.

I just bring a glow Buzzz and my regular putter. We used to play dark rounds back in North Seattle where you played in the dark, no lights, no glow, no LED, nothing. We never lost a disc to my knowledge. I also ran a glow league every week as well, good times. That was when I was young and could see, hear, didn't need ibuprofen to get out of bed, etc.

I just bring a glow Buzzz and my regular putter. We used to play dark rounds back in North Seattle where you played in the dark, no lights, no glow, no LED, nothing. We never lost a disc to my knowledge. I also ran a glow league every week as well, good times. That was when I was young and could see, hear, didn't need ibuprofen to get out of bed, etc.
You have hit that age where you start preemptively reminiscing and it's super funny and I enjoy all the old stories.