• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] opinions

Fosterjon35

Hey guys im new to the forum and wanna say hi to everyone, my name is jon foster and i have being play disc alot last 2 months, im addicted and wanna get better. im getting slowly but surely better, but i have of course problems in my game, im having alot of trouble driving. i know the x step technique but i still cant keep my disc from hyzering very hard. i throw RHBH. idk if its my disc or just me. as far as drivers i use a FLX XL which is my most controlling driver i use just cant get much distance out of it, i use a surge ss, esp nuke which i cant control at all, and a nuke ss which i havent used to much. my mid range is pretty nice due to the z buzzz i use and im in love with. and putting is pretty fine as well. Im thinking about purchasing a Roadrunner, Flx Surge ss, Mamba, and maybe a valkyrie all pretty soon. so im wondering from all of you guys what disc do you think is easy to control and get some good distance out of it for a newer player. thanks guys Jon Foster

Hey Jon,

Welcome to the site. Tons of useful information and nice people here (and a few disgruntled people as well, you'll see soon enough).

What kind of distance are you getting out of your TL? I always recommend a Leopard or Teebird for newbies. They taught me a lot. You already have a great midrange so stick with that one.

If you need feedback on your form to see why these discs are hyzering out, you can always post up a video of your drives in this section and have the forum pros give advice.

Enjoy the forums!

PS. Use paragraphs next time. Your post was pretty hard to read.

I'd say unless you're throwing 300+ drop the Surge. Unless your getting 350+ (maybe more) drop the Nuke. XL's are great drivers. But depending on your distance JSurmann might be right on with the Leopard. Roadrunners are good discs but the XL will beat into Roadrunner-ish, just a touch slower

Welcome.
I suggest cyclones or gazelles in cheap plastic.
Most suffer from nose angle issues (nose of the disc) and strong arming.
A cyclone or gazelle are two of the most forgiving discs nose angle wise, their slower speed and flight will allow you to get it up to speed easier-showing you a full flight- and hopefully promote a cleaner throw.

Don't go crazy trying to find the right disc, it will slow your progression down since you'll be spending time trying to compare one disc to another. Get a good neutral driver (the XL is fine for this) and learn to throw it well.

The best way to learn is to go out and throw it. Try different styles, grips, release angles and you'll start to see some things that really work well.

See if there are any leagues in your area. Playing in a league is a great way to get quick exposure to a lot of different styles of play and get some free coaching.

Only play with the buzzz and a putter for a little while. The buzzz can go 330' easy and will help you learn control and line shaping. When you start getting it 300' than toss the xl back in the bag.

Welcome & Enjoy!

^Ditto. Everything said above is sage and solid advice, but I'll double ditto Mr. Harris... all excellent points:
Don't go crazy trying to find the right disc, it will slow your progression down since you'll be spending time trying to compare one disc to another. Get a good neutral driver (the XL is fine for this) and learn to throw it well.

The best way to learn is to go out and throw it. Try different styles, grips, release angles and you'll start to see some things that really work well.

See if there are any leagues in your area. Playing in a league is a great way to get quick exposure to a lot of different styles of play and get some free coaching.

I agree with most of the replies so far. Get a Teebird, TL, etc...nice stable fairway driver and learn how to throw it well. Don't try to throw too many different discs too soon. The problem here is you won't have an established reference point to make corrections. Once you have mastered one disc you can then begin to experiment with more overstable or understable discs. You'll be able to see the different results you get based on what you already know from the disc you have learned.

I started playing in 2006, played a lot but then stopped playing into my later years of college (didn't have time and not many good courses in the area). Now I've started to get back into it and have been taking this approach myself. Hope this helps!

Good post. When I started I kept trying to find the "one disc". It didn't work. What helped me more than anything was field practice. In a round you, typically, throw 18 drives and it takes anywhere from 1-3 hours. If I go to a park on my lunch break I can throw around 100 drives in half an hour.

Pretty good advice so far. I'll second or third the "don't buy discs to fix your throws" sentiment, and more vehemently exclaim that you should ditch the Nuke and Surge for now. When I first started playing, I had a boss (similar to the nuke speed wise) that I loved. My (also new to DG) buddies were in awe of my mighty 250ft. shot with it so I thought I was awesome and doing everything right. All I was doing was learning terrible form that made it difficult to get past 250ft. with ANY disc and I'm still unlearning the damage. Stick with slower stuff (I'd say speed 7 or lower but everyone will have differing opinions and it's entirely subjective) and learn to love your Buzz even more. Also, remember that you don't own any putters; you own putt and approach discs. You'd be surprised how far you can chuck a putter and how much easier they are to control. They won't fade hard (if they fade at all) and they won't skip as far either. Above all, have fun!

Roadrunner and valk wouldnt be bad, but to be honest i wish i would have stuck with discs even slower than that when i started. Try and stick to fairways as your highest speed. AND GET A COUPLE PUTTERS YOU REALLY LIKE! that has been the biggest improvement to my game. aviars and rhynos. Then i found my other love, the buzzzzz. Teebirds, leopards, even a river would be good choices also though. Teach you different lines very well.

thanks for the quick replys guys! ill start throwing my buzzz on drives more often and then make my way to the RR, TB, TL, i love my Elite X soft challengers for my putters, i use them quite often on shorter holes

I've only been playing for a few months myself and was having a lot of issues with fading. I recently switched over to the "Climo" grip after watching this video:

My game, distance and control improved dramatically. I'm not throwing my DX Leopards for 300-325 with a nice s curve.

I still have work to do, but I'm getting better.

As a beginner, your primary goal should be to learn to throw low, straight, and flat. You want the disc to fly parallel to the ground, because if the front of the disc is up at all, the wind will catch under it, and it will stall in the air like an underpowered biplane trying to gain altitude.

As you learn to "shape" the lines of your flight paths, notice that discs tend to turn towards whichever edge is lower. You can see this fairly well by messing around with your putters or your Buzzz, but drivers have to be moving pretty fast to have a "stable" flight, and you may not yet be able to generate enough release speed to see it with those.

As you work on building your driving distance, look online at videos of the pros. Notice how far back behind them they reach. Notice the timing between their reach back and their footsteps. Notice what their elbows and hands do. Notice how they accelerate smoothly through the whole throw, building power from their legs, hips, backs, and shoulders, not just their arms.

Latest posts