• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Opto, the best plastic?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I haven't thrown every plastic out there, but I believe Opto is the best, for 2 reasons:

•Durability - it takes a catastrophe to mark up Opto discs. After every dead-on tree hit, I examine the disc, then feel sorry for the tree. You can scrape a top of an opto disc, but the rims seem indestructable to me: flights will change with time(same as all discs), but it is one tough polymer.

•Grip - I have a large stash of discs from many manufacturers, being a bargain hunter. Elite Z, Champion, Proton, all the transluscent premium blends, they feel slippery in comparison, multiple discs and molds.

I like it a lot, good plastic.

The only ones that I would say might be better are K1 from Katstaplast and the Liquid in the USA molded Salient discs.

They both have the extreme durability and the grip may be even better with those. Both have only had a couple runs though so we shall see how they hold up.

I like it a lot, good plastic.

The only ones that I would say might be better are K1 from Katstaplast and the Liquid in the USA molded Salient discs.

They both have the extreme durability and the grip may be even better with those. Both have only had a couple runs though so we shall see how they hold up.

Gotta say, Kastaplast looks amazing - never held one.

I love Opto as well, it's my favorite plastic. I particularly like the non translucent blend tho, it seem to have a little bit more grip than the clear one. It looks and feels great

I have an Opto River, my first introduction to Lat 64 discs. I like the Opto plastic and there is nothing wrong at all with it. But I like the Gold Line plastic best of all. JMHO. GL plastic feels better to my grubby paws, is a bit firmer. Good firm Star plastic is my second, and Opto and Champion are right behind that.

I understand Opto and Lucid are about the same thing, and I have a Lucid Judge for upshots/putts. Love the indestructability of it.

I love Opto and GL both. Wish MVP could get their Proton to be as grippy as Opto. Crave and Envy in Opto, my mouth is watering.

I love Opto as well, it's my favorite plastic. I particularly like the non translucent blend tho, it seem to have a little bit more grip than the clear one. It looks and feels great
^^^ I agree with this, I prefer the GLopto blend, it is the best.
the newer opto that you can see through tends to be a little firmer than I like.

My current favorite is opaque Pinnacle plastic from Legacy. Another high-grip, premium/durable plastic. There's a lot of great stuff out there now.

I only own one Latitude 64 disc, a Gold Line River. I really like it, and was interested to hear more comparisons between Opto and Gold Line plastic in terms of durability. My only problem is that recently I have gotten side tracked on MVP and Axiom discs, have both Proton and Neutron plastics, and they have become my new favorites.:eek:

Its all the same **** really. You are lost if you think opto plastic or any plastic is actually "the best" and your reasons make no sense opto is just as slick as any other clear premium plastic.

Its all the same **** really. You are lost if you think opto plastic or any plastic is actually "the best" and your reasons make no sense opto is just as slick as any other clear premium plastic.

BS - if you define the parameters that are most meaningful to you, and examine discs based on said criteria, it's very easy to find the plastic that best meets your needs.

Opto is much grippier than Champ or Elite Z in my opinion.

Except the fact that its not... Lol.

Not all opto are the same feeling either nor is the durability equal. Its like opaque champ vs JL. Same goes for any other company and i would assume they all are constantly striving for "the best" while making changes to try and be so.

There are TONS of great premium blends out in 2015!

Opto has definitely changed over the years. All blends have been grippier than any of the Champ, Z, Proton, or other clear blends I have personally thrown. I don't mind Proton, I tend to like harder plastics, but other than possibly the newer soft P run MVP did, it's never been as grippy as Opto.

::hits ian with flimsy MVP overmold made of crayon and flight playe as slick as soap in the shower::

Latest posts