• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Opto, the best plastic?

Loss of durability. grip...?
I'm totally generalizing, but I'd say both. The old Opto plastic seemed to be much more resistant to cuts and nicks on the rim, while still retaining that supple feel. Now it seems to be much less durable, gaining noticeable wear much more quickly and the plastic seems a little more cheap feeling. Slick, stiff, and not as gummy.

TBH, today's JL reminds me a lot of old Opto. :\

I have an Opto Claymore that's downright gummy. Almost all my Champs are slick. They are easily distinguishable.

The New VIP Sampo feels like that older stiff Opto type stuff which I like alot.

IDT there is an old vs new Opto, there were always variations. I like the clearish Opto better than the more opaque blends. These have better grip and also seem more durable. I'll still take Opto and equivalents in DD and Westside over most Champion Or Elite Z, anyday.

I'm totally generalizing, but I'd say both. The old Opto plastic seemed to be much more resistant to cuts and nicks on the rim, while still retaining that supple feel. Now it seems to be much less durable, gaining noticeable wear much more quickly and the plastic seems a little more cheap feeling. Slick, stiff, and not as gummy.

TBH, today's JL reminds me a lot of old Opto. :\

Yup. Again. Exactly.

I only own one Latitude 64 disc, a Gold Line River. I really like it, and was interested to hear more comparisons between Opto and Gold Line plastic in terms of durability.

My Opto River has been very durable, though it's recently not been thrown very much at all. My two Gold Line Rivers are also very durable. The older one (which is burnt orange) banged into a lot of trees and might be a tad more understable than when it started out, but not by a lot, and the GL plastic was holding up very well despite the heavy use. It's in the backup box now since the color too closely matches those of Autumn.

My new GL River (much brighter color) is also showing strong durability, and has not yet lost its stability. It S-curves very nicely through the woods, same as the Opto River.

Now I need to get a pink River for Save-The-Ta-Tas Month.

Last edited:
Its all the same **** really. You are lost if you think opto plastic or any plastic is actually "the best" and your reasons make no sense opto is just as slick as any other clear premium plastic.

Wow.

Gotta disagree... the FEEL of GL (and firm Star) is enough difference to my grubby paws to make me seek out that plastic over others. And the plastic can and does make a difference in how the disc flies. It's a matter of "to each, his own", and YMMV vis-a-vis other disc throwers.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I have an older TP Giant and it looks and feels completely different than the newer TP giants Ive bought. My early white Giant is more comparable to that old stiff white star plastic that is amazing.

Their is no best plastic. Better runs happen depending what the supplier has on hand and how well the refineries are dong their job.

That's the beauty of finding/feeling new discs. And finding the good runs from year to year.

Last edited:
I've only bought one opto disc ever, it was really slick and had an insane amount of flashing. I tried washing it then applying a little sandpaper, still sharp and slick. I might try one again if I could feel it out before purchasing, but for the most part I am fairly uninterested in Opto.

I've only bought one opto disc ever, it was really slick and had an insane amount of flashing. I tried washing it then applying a little sandpaper, still sharp and slick. I might try one again if I could feel it out before purchasing, but for the most part I am fairly uninterested in Opto.

welp, sounds right to me. My buddy who used to work at a injection molding company would complain how many X .001s of extra plastic latitude discs had :|

They're not all like that, obviously. Otherwise their popularity wouldnt be what it is, right?

*I think I used there/their/they're correctly!

There...

Has anyone mentioned the Frost plastic yet? I just picked up a River in Frost, and it's sweeeeet.

Grippy, pretty, flexible (think FLX plastic), and so far durable. Although I haven't had it long enough to really attest to it's durability, but it shows no wear or flight changes yet. It seems a bit more stable than my GL river, but maybe my GL river flew this way when it was new too?

Latest posts