• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OS Distance Driver Suggestion

Nothing but cage

Birdie Member
I've been playing on and off for around 10 years. I throw RH backhand topping out around 350' with Traces as my straight distance drivers. I can get them to finish left when thrown flat but I'm looking for something more stable to flex over and still maintain a strong finish. I don't necessarily want pure beef. More something I can still get good distance for my arm speed but trust it to finish left in a headwind or anny flex line..

Looking for suggestions from those who have had success with this shot with similar arm speed. I don't have a ton of experience with this slot because I've doubted its use for my distance but maybe I was wrong.

These are what I'm considering so far:
Venom
Pepper
Halo destroyer
Halo wraith
Enforcer
Force
Motion

Please let me know your thoughts on these molds for this role or other suggestions you may have for this slot. Thanks.

I use the Wrath for this slot.

It's a little slower than your Trace. More of a speed 9/10. I throw mine in the 300-400' range fh, and 350-450' range bh.

I've thrown the same Wrath since they came out and it's still a dependable wind fighter I can rely on in a headwind off the tee.

You should also consider the Zenith. Very similar flight numbers, but more HSS. I've field tested one a few times and even thrown past 400' they still have a healthy fade without being a meathook.

Motion is way more overstable than you are looking for. At my distances I don't care for them. Forces are pretty beefy too, but depending on the run it could fill this slot.

The Zenith sounds interesting. I've tried a photon for this shot and it seems to hold the anhyzer too long before coming back, granted it was a 165 plasma. Do you think a wrath or zenith would come back harder?

I'm also trying to be a little more open to non-MVP molds as pretty much my entire bag was MVP produced plastic. Not a bad thing necessarily but I don't want to be to fan boy-ish. They still make my favorite plastics though.

You're at the power level where you're going to flirt with dump out vs glide out on faster wide rim discs. I think Mike is right the wraith is the perfect disc for that shot shape with your power.

I have two Star Wraith's. The beat one won't fight back, but the fresh one will (173/74)

I use the Wrath for this slot.

You're at the power level where you're going to flirt with dump out vs glide out on faster wide rim discs. I think Mike is right the wraith is the perfect disc for that shot shape with your power.

Just for clarification, I believe Mike is referring to an Axiom Wrath vs the Innova Wraith.

I have similar power, but with Forehand rather than backhand. My Zeniths (171g / 166g) are both more stable than my Trace (172g Neutron), which is actually similar to my Eclipse Wave. But if I put the Zeniths on anhyzer, they don't fight back very hard. My 159g Defy is very similar. I've never thrown a Plasma Photon, but I have a 159g Neutron, 152g Fission, and 145g Fission. The Neutron will fight out of a slight anhyzer pretty well. My Fissions fight back pretty hard. Both of them are serviceable for long-distance anhyzer flex shots.

I prefer Wraiths. My Star and GStar Wraiths in the 168-172g range are all pretty straight. My halos fight back pretty hard. I've had a couple of 2021 Gurthies that are pretty stable, but still workable. The Jen Allen Halo Wraith is pure beef.

Wraith and Destroyer are two foundational discs Innova created. They both fit this slot pretty well IMO.

Either can be a 500' plus disc in the right hand.

Plastic choice makes a difference. I've generally been fond of pro plastic from Innova, but it does beat in and become under stable over time. Alternatively I've got a blizzard boss that is a total meat hook for me.

The distances you are throwing would be needed to answer your question. What is stable to a 300 ft drive is not as stable to a 400 ft drive.

The distances you are throwing would be needed to answer your question. What is stable to a 300 ft drive is not as stable to a 400 ft drive.

My longest drives on the course are topping out around 350'. Definitely leaning towards a more stable wraith. I I somehow never really gave them a shot since I've been playing. I'm sure it'll probably be a bit of beef when fresh but if I fall in love and lose my traces, over time I have the option of transitioning to wraiths.

Plus somewhere I heard that a trace flies like a seasoned wraith out of the box so I like the idea of already being comfortable with a similar disc.

Plus somewhere I heard that a trace flies like a seasoned wraith out of the box so I like the idea of already being comfortable with a similar disc.

Probably really depends on what you end up with for a wraith. Innova discs, especially distance drivers, are like a box of chocolates. You're never really sure what you're going to get.

My longest drives on the course are topping out around 350'. Definitely leaning towards a more stable wraith. I I somehow never really gave them a shot since I've been playing. I'm sure it'll probably be a bit of beef when fresh but if I fall in love and lose my traces, over time I have the option of transitioning to wraiths.

star wraith for the straight to fade

if you want to cycle grab a pro star wraith for the dead straight d shot and eventually it will become a turnover driver

gstarr is also great for cycling too

Probably really depends on what you end up with for a wraith. Innova discs, especially distance drivers, are like a box of chocolates. You're never really sure what you're going to get.

The gg halo wraiths surprisingly all fly similar I bought 8 and didn't get any odd balls. I did buy all orange/yellow though and haven't tried any of the other color combos.

I really like MVP molds because of how flat everything is and how good the plastic feels. At least 65% of my bag is now MVP/Axiom. But I haven't found an MVP driver that can compete with my Wraiths. The Wraiths consistently go at least 25-30' further than the MVP molds.

True. Hard to go wrong with a Star Wraith between 168 - 172g. They've been pretty consistent for me.

Well kinda 50' past my speed range but IMO: the trace is a lot like a surge, little turn a little fade. The wraith is faster and flatter more of a flat bomber not so much a big s or flex disc, more of a mini s... similar to an octane in that they don't do as well with a 20 degree anny but I haven't thrown one for a decade. Personally I use a light fizz octane as my max distance driver.

Photons are the next logical MVP step up but some of em are wicked beefy, fission is nice. Sounds like you like them lighter, other than the wraith/wrath I would submit a 169 plasma Mayhem as my suggestion for the role. It does an S well and doesn't seem to have that critical anhyzer angle where when exceeded it just dives. I find it cheats well when underpowered. Kinda feels a bit like a trace too. I use it as an extreme wind disc myself.

Latest posts