• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Other Courses Onsite

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just a quick mention that multiple courses in one location (ie. The Grange) should now have a section above near by courses showing the other courses available in that park, area, etc.

Any course under .1 miles away from the course in question will show up as Onsite. I thought it was a pretty safe number since I can't imagine two totally different parks with courses being .1 miles from each other and not being related.

Edit: Courses up to .7 miles apart will be checked to see if they are part of the same park/area. If so, those will also be added to the Onsite box.

I think that is not only a clever way of doing that, but it is very easy to use. It will be great for those type of areas!

Too cool! You're amazing.

Thanks guys :)

Another minor change.. markers that have the same latitude/longitude on the google map will now be shifted more/less depending on what zoom level you're at. Before I'd shift them the same amount regardless of the zoom level which made knowing that there are 3 courses in one spot (ie. The Grange) difficult at the default and lower zoom levels.

Also, any marker that is shifted will include a brief note when you click on it so you know that the position on the map isn't precise and that I've moved it slightly to prevent overlap. FYI, even at the highest zoom level I still have to shift them a tiny bit.

Is there a way to force multiple courses into "on-site" status?

E.g. Powell & Wilmont at Tom Bass Park.

No.. it's strictly done by distance. Those two are .4 miles apart which is probably a bit to far to use as the generic "onsite" distance. I could try to do some sort of course name match for courses under .5 miles apart which might work although I'm afraid that has the potential for false positives.

Powell & Wilmont are definitely on the same site, i.e. in the same Park. The 0.4 miles is based strictly on picking parking lot lat/lon coordinates.

The courses are adjacent to each other. E.g. Powell's #7 & #8 tees are probably 400-500' from Wilmont's parking lot. Wilmont's #16 basket is probably 400-500' from Powell's #8 basket/#9 tee.

Now that you have this new "onsite" category, not including Powell and Wilmont in it is misleading.

I'll see what I can do as far as name matching courses under a certain distance.

Nice--now I feel even more special having all but one of my played courses on my profile :)

Courses within .7 miles now do a course name similarity check. If the names are close (ie. ERic's example of Powell & Wilmont at Tom Bass Park) then those will be put into the Onsite area.

Do you guys want to see distance in the Onsite area? Most of them will generall be 0 or .1 so I didn't include it but if it's something you'd like to see I can add it easily.

Courses within .7 miles now do a course name similarity check. If the names are close (ie. ERic's example of Powell & Wilmont at Tom Bass Park) then those will be put into the Onsite area.

Do you guys want to see distance in the Onsite area? Most of them will generall be 0 or .1 so I didn't include it but if it's something you'd like to see I can add it easily.

I vote "yes" to showing the distance. Maybe since the distances are so small you change the scale to feet or yards?

I added distance in yards. It'll probably be 0 or a a couple hundred yards on average.

No, I haven't done that one. Maybe tomorrow.. it was a pretty busy day today.

I just modified this a bit today. If there are multiple courses in one park, the park will only be listed one time in the nearby courses lists with a little subscript number indicating how many courses are in that park. Now you don't have a place like Codorus filling up all the slots in another course's list.

Also, if the course name contains a "-" as part of the name of an on-site course. I will break up the name at that point to only show whatever is before the "-". So in the case of Codorus, you'll see "Codorus State Park (3)" rather than "Codorus State Park - Blue Course (3)".

For the short distances, you could also just bump the precision up to hundredths of a mile, if you want to keep the units the same and not use yards.