• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overcoming grip lock

ishelost

I am a RHFH thrower predominantly off the tee but I am trying to develop my backhand. My biggest barrier is a tendency to grip lock my driver into the nearest tree, water hazard, or otherwise designated out of bounds area. The thing is, these sometimes feel like my most powerful drives coming off my hand. Any suggestions for overcoming grip lock on RHBH drives while holding on to that snap?

Try practicing RHBH in a field. 45 minutes should do it. Throw your drivers at some target, then go collect them and throw them back to your bag. I'd think you'd get the feel with 40 -50 reps in.

This only happens to me if I really try to throw it too hard. So I suggest to not try to throw too hard. And like trifocal said, go out into a field and just practice.

This only happens to me if I really try to throw it too hard. So I suggest to not try to throw too hard. And like trifocal said, go out into a field and just practice.

Almost everyone that has that problem says it comes from trying to "overthrow" the disc. Slow down and work on your timing. Your distance will improve and you won't have sore joint/muscle problems.

i agree...turn down the power, focus on form and execution...once that is dialed in, then gradually turn up the power...i have a hard time with this myself, but when i keep it at about 80% power i get much better results than if i try to give it everything i've got...

If you try to adjust your grip release you'll lose power. I think you can use that grip to your advantage. Try putting your back to the target more. Run-up from back right to left front on an angle. Backwards if ness. You only need a couple steps. Reach back & pull through normally. Now your release will be on line with your target. And you won't lose that good power feeling you are experiencing now.

Grip-lock can be a misleading term. The most common causes don't have anything to do with grip.

Blake_T @ DGR said:
most common causes of grip lock:

1. weight back at release.
2. disc not close to the body.
3. starting your pull too early (e.g. in motion forwards hard before your plant foot hits the ground).

If you try to adjust your grip release you'll lose power. I think you can use that grip to your advantage. Try putting your back to the target more. Run-up from back right to left front on an angle. Backwards if ness. You only need a couple steps. Reach back & pull through normally. Now your release will be on line with your target. And you won't lose that good power feeling you are experiencing now.

Ditto...

Thanks for all the quick feedback, I use the term griplock only because its results are commonly understood. More practice and more focus on technique rather than strategy will eventually bring it along.

Thanks for all the quick feedback, I use the term griplock only because its results are commonly understood. More practice and more focus on technique rather than strategy will eventually bring it along.
The term is fine. Evenyone knows exactly what you mean. I'm just pointing out that reading too literally into it can make fixing it difficult.

Latest posts