• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paint markers to decorate?

And the answer is in...from the forum section on Rules Questions and Discussions:
From Mike Krupica (PDGA Rules Committee Chairperson)

((Bolding is mine))

If someone were to email the rules committee, we are very consistently saying putting paint on a disc is illegal.

Saw that. Well, now we know for sure

Fixed it.

We ALL know now. I was pretty sure how the rule should be read/enforced, but that doesn't mean I KNEW it or that I was right. I've been wrong on my interpretations/reading of the rules before.

I like it when things like this come up for discussion, and everyone discusses it politely regardless of their viewpoint. We all end up learning something.

I disagree, just because it is used as an example does not mean it is instantly banned. You can apply a paint at undetectable thickness with an airbrush. Why would that be banned.

It would be banned because there is a rule which explicitly states the allowed modifications to a disc...and applying paint with an airbrush doesn't meet any of the allowed criteria.

813.01 B

Allowed modifications to a disc after production are limited to:
Wear and tear from usage during play;
Moderate sanding to address wear and tear or small molding imperfections;
Marking with dye or permanent marker ink.

It would be banned because there is a rule which explicitly states the allowed modifications to a disc...and applying paint with an airbrush doesn't meet any of the allowed criteria.

813.01 B

Allowed modifications to a disc after production are limited to:
Wear and tear from usage during play;
Moderate sanding to address wear and tear or small molding imperfections;
Marking with dye or permanent marker ink.

your a little late to the convo bud. look up ^