• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth Is At His Highest Rating Ever

First point to make:
AWESOME and congrats to Paul!

Second point to make:
Anyone trying to make this a Discraft vs. Innova thing needs to really sharpen their pencils on the statistical analysis. That 1057 rating includes rounds from July-October 2018 with Innova, and Feburary-June 2019 with Discraft. (No rated rounds November - January, what a slacker! ;) ) Of course people are free to compare the old Innova rounds with the newer Discraft ones, but they all contributed to McBeth's current rating. The true constant, of course, is that P McB shreds it!

Third point:
A player's rating has as much to do with which rounds don't count as those that do count. With this update McBeth just dropped a 972 round and a 998 from June of last year, which certainly helps the average. But here's the really mind-boggling thing: the current rating includes zero rounds that rated under 1000. Over the past year, Paul threw exactly one round rated under 1000 -- second round at Masters Cup he went 989 -- and that round doesn't count because it's so far below his average! This milestone accomplishment isn't built on only the crazy mega hot rounds that get all the attention, but it is really a measure of average performance. McBeth has consistently thrown world class disc golf rounds. I'd be interested to know if any other player has ever (A) had a 989 or higher round dropped because it was so far below their average, or (B) had a rating that included more than 10 rounds, of which zero rounds rated under 1000. Both of those are amazing accomplishments on their own, and obviously those are the sorts of building blocks that go into the highest rating ever.

Paul could throw any brand and still be the best. . . BUT, it would be REALLY fun to see what he would throw if he was sponsored by something like Adidas and could throw any disc brand

Giddy up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second point to make:
Anyone trying to make this a Discraft vs. Innova thing needs to really sharpen their pencils on the statistical analysis. That 1057 rating includes rounds from July-October 2018 with Innova, and Feburary-June 2019 with Discraft. (No rated rounds November - January, what a slacker! ;) ) Of course people are free to compare the old Innova rounds with the newer Discraft ones, but they all contributed to McBeth's current rating. The true constant, of course, is that P McB shreds it!

McBeth's average in 2018 rounds counting towards his current rating = 1054.19
McBeth's average in 2019 rounds counting towards his current rating = 1056.16

McBeth's average in 2018 rounds counting towards his current rating = 1054.19
McBeth's average in 2019 rounds counting towards his current rating = 1056.16

Those numbers, above, will not yield a 1057 rating, so I'm assuming you included the 989 round that people are saying was dropped?

your 25% most recent rounds are counted twice. so its possible if hes been shooting really hot lately, which he has

Which would mean he is playing better with Disc Craft than he was with Innova. I am not sure if the improvement is really much of a difference. Maybe like a tenth of of a throw per round.

Which would mean he is playing better with Disc Craft than he was with Innova. I am not sure if the improvement is really much of a difference. Maybe like a tenth of of a throw per round.

Two ratings points is insignificant to the point of being meaningless. Like you say, it's probably one throw every ten rounds or something like that. A 1054 player and a 1056 player are for all intents and purposes the same.

Take a look at Paul's previous years with ratings broken into those same time periods. The first half of the year has typically had more courses on tour with significant real and artificial OB than courses played in the last half of the year. Excessive OB artificially boosts ratings overall which will help the highest rated players who avoid more of the penalties.

. . . Anyone trying to make this a Discraft vs. Innova thing needs to really sharpen their pencils on the statistical analysis. . . .

There you go trying to bring math into a discussion based on, um, math.

In November everyone was talking about how he was going to fade off because of the switch to Discraft. Now in July, when he's playing better than he ever has, suddenly we hear "it's the Archer not the arrow, he could throw that well with any brand".

I believe he's on top of his game specifically because of the change. Not saying Discraft is/isn't better than Innova.

I'm saying he's probably spent a lot of time focusing on learning a new bag: molds, plastics, etc. I often throw better when I change things up simply because I focus more. I think more about how that disc flies, and what I need to do... more in the moment than relying on muscle memory.

Additionally, all the time he's spent getting familiar with and throwing a new line of discs to figure out what he wants to bag is practice. That sharpens skills, regardless what he's throwing.

He might be the best player to get positive results from a change in sponsorship, but he's not the first... nor will he be the last.

TL/DR: a change can do you good.

Last edited:
Additionally, all the time he's spent getting familiar with and throwing a new line of discs to figure out what he wants to bag is practice. That sharpens skills, regardless what he's throwing.

yup - this is really what it is.

A brand change forces you to practice and practice a lot.

LOL:doh:

He never threw DD's or any of trilogy's plastic tho...

I seem to recall Ricky throwing his Westside Harp on almost every approach, and driving with Dynamic Discs Felons and Enforcers all the time. It's been a minute so youbealright;)

Paul, Congrats on the new high. I can't wait until you dial in those putts and stop missing inside the circle like your World titles run... 1060 here we come.

Last edited:
I seem to recall Ricky throwing his Westside Harp on almost every approach, and driving with Dynamic Discs Felons and Enforcers all the time. It's been a minute so youbealright;)

Paul, Congrats on the new high. I can't wait until you dial in those putts and stop missing inside the circle like your World titles run... 1060 here we come.

Sure Ricky was sponsored by DD....nobody's debating that. Paul was at one point sponsored by DD but didn't thrown their plastic. Not sure why you worried Ricky in a Paul thread tho :wall:

Sure Ricky was sponsored by DD....nobody's debating that. Paul was at one point sponsored by DD but didn't thrown their plastic. Not sure why you worried Ricky in a Paul thread tho :wall:

Paul was sponsored by DD prior to them having their own disc line...as were a good many pros. They were more of an apparel sponsor at that point (pre-2013).

Peewee McB
cRNXnka.jpg
I'm never going to be able to unsee that.

Latest posts