• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] PD vs Villain vs Boatman

cjowo

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a new OS wind fighter to replace the champ Starfire that I can't bond with. I think I have it narrowed down to these 3. What are some pros and cons of each?

You really should try and get discspeed to try and post in this thread. I know he currently throws a PD and a Villain. I would really encourage the PD though as a wind fighter. It isn't so OS that it isn't workable, but it also handles wind like a champ. I was playing at Cliff Stevens (wide open) and there were crazy winds, to the point were putting was almost impossible. But my 175 S-PD flew almost perfect every time except the occasional crazy wind bounce.

I know he says the villains are pretty OS at max weight, I didn't find Boatmans to be that OS and I don't think many people on these forums are that familiar with them.

That being said, everyone and their mother on these forums throw PD's, so I'm sure you will get a crapload of recommendations for them

If you are looking at the Villain I'll suggest that you also consider the Giant

that said the PD and Boatman are likely comparable speed and flightwise

whereas the Villain/Giant are a step up speed wise and OS wise (IMO)

the PD and Boatman should be considered very stable control drivers (the Boatman having significant fade)

the Villain and Giant are HSS and very LSS distance drivers

the Boatman does appear to be a somewhat lost mold...if you are to consider it and you want it for wind duty then look at it in VIP and not TP

Gl halo. I throw mine in heavy winds with little to no problem everytime I played credit island(which is right along the mississippi river and wide open)during a tournament and had great results.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely looking to stay in the 10-11 range. Anything faster doesn't feel right. Also thanks Inbounds! The charts really help.

Last edited:
The last time I spent any time in serious winds (30-40+ mph) I threw my 169 CFR DGR PD with no issues. In fact, I threw my highest rated round with it, and pretty much only it, off the tee. I did pay extra attention to guaranteeing a clean release, but I had no problems with wind. Every vendor that weekend made a killing on Predators, Flicks, and Firebirds.

I haven't thrown the others you mentioned.

Last edited:
The Villain is a very true overstable workhorse of a disc. It's very resistant to high speed turn. It has a very strong fade when it loses speed. It, even in lighter weights, is very true to its advertised overstability. The Gold Line is a little less overstable but still a meaty driver. It is a speed 12 however and has a bigger rim then you may like.

The last time I spent any time in serious winds (30-40+ mph) I threw my 169 CFR DGR PD with no issues. In fact, I threw my highest rated round with it, and pretty much only it, off the tee. I did pay extra attention to guaranteeing a clean release, but I had no problems with wind. Every vendor that weekend made a killing on Predators, Flicks, and Firebirds.

I haven't thrown the others you mentioned.

weren't these really flat topped and almost FB OS?

I'm not sure if all of the C-PDs were this way and there is some variation (shock/horror)

there might not be a large enough run of the Boatman for that to be an issue

if sticking to the 10-11 range then PD and Boatman will be good choices

as per the inbounds flight guide the Boatman might have better distance potential as compared to the PD

They are no different than any of the other flat CFR PDs, just lighter (I believe most of the CFRs prior to DGR's run were 175s). I have stock stamp CFR leftovers, and they fly the same as the DGR stamps. While they're more overstable than regular C-PDs, they're not close to Firebirds. They are still reliably straight but fade sooner than other (non-test config) PDs.

sorry I should have said CFR PD as I did not mean specifically only the DGR version

for example the Desert ones were really flat and somewhat OS

my CFR CPD (DGR stamped) is extremely comparable to my very flat Glo Firebird...i would use either one. It is pretty much a toss up.

I find flat CFR PD's to be extremely suitable Firebird replacements.

Not quiiiite as OS, but adjusted with hyzer you can get the same effect. They sidearm and overhand great, just like a Firebird would. They throw xlnt into headwinds, again like a Firebird.

But this is coming from somebody with honestly 350' power at most, not like the other 90% of DGCR members who claim to throw 400+ so easily.

That's pretty much the distances I was throwing too pablo. My arm maxed at 350' before I took a break and lost a lot of my distance.

I haven't thrown a lot of Firebirds, but I always felt like they were faders right out of my hand (especially the flatties). I liken CFR PDs to be more like Predators in that they will travel straight, even without headwinds, before fading. Maybe that's because I throw the 169s...? I compare them to Predators because I tried Preds for a month or two and never adjusted to the rim, especially when I could accomplish the same stuff with the same disc as my main driver in a different plastic.

My Starfire is the "fade straight out of my hand" type. Definitely looking for something that will stay flat then fade.

I'll speak up for the Boatman, since no one else has. It will hold a nice straight line if thrown flat and low and give you a nice predictable hard fade at the end. It is one of my most predictable discs I have. I do not however use it for distance shots. I have other discs for that. It is used primarily for hook shots. over water shots, and anythng I know I need predictability. I did try the Villain and wasn't very fond of it. I find the Giant as mentioned earlier as a much better alternative. Have never thrown the Pd can't give any feedback.

Latest posts