• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Board Pres. Justin Menickelli is coming on PDGA Radio this week...Questions?

are you actually advocating to make the darn things wider? they are already too wide in my opinion.

Some people think we need to modify the rules to get rid of some of the sharpest-edged discs for safety purposes. Getting hit in the face with an Aviar does a lot less damage than a Boss.

Recording with him tomorrow morning. Got any questions? Fire away and I will try to work them in. :)

Need some set up for this question:

Earlier this year, the PDGA Board voted to flatten the National Tour bonuses in an effort to "incentivise more players to participate". https://www.pdga.com/national-tour-bonus-rewarding-more-players-2018

It would seem if the Board of Directors is truly serious about flattening payouts to encourage participation at NT events, the PDGA Board would direct Pro Worlds 2018 to follow the published PDGA Large Field Payout Calculator in an effort to flatten and deepen the payout for all participants at Pro Worlds.

The Large Field Payout Calculator was designed specifically to flatten and deepen payouts. Players in the bottom 2/3's of the field at a large event, like Pro Worlds, should earn enough to cover two nights of hotel fees. The LFPC was developed by PDGA Competition Committee and approved by the PDGA Board of Directors.

The PDGA did not follow the published Large Field Payout Calculator for Pro Worlds 2017 which resulted in a large amount of added cash going to the top finishers. You can see a quick snapshot of the projected versus actual payouts for 2017 Pro Worlds here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3275206&postcount=72 Many of the lower finishing players were shorted half the amount of projected payout, while Ricky earned double the projected payout for first.

So the question is: Will the PDGA Board vote to direct the 2018 Pro Worlds to follow the published PDGA Large Field Payout Calculator in an effort to ensure a flatter, deeper payout at Pro Worlds 2018 and to "incentivize more players to participate"?

Need some set up for this question:

Earlier this year, the PDGA Board voted to flatten the National Tour bonuses in an effort to "incentivise more players to participate". https://www.pdga.com/national-tour-bonus-rewarding-more-players-2018

It would seem if the Board of Directors is truly serious about flattening payouts to encourage participation at NT events, the PDGA Board would direct Pro Worlds 2018 to follow the published PDGA Large Field Payout Calculator in an effort to flatten and deepen the payout for all participants at Pro Worlds.

The Large Field Payout Calculator was designed specifically to flatten and deepen payouts. Players in the bottom 2/3's of the field at a large event, like Pro Worlds, should earn enough to cover two nights of hotel fees. The LFPC was developed by PDGA Competition Committee and approved by the PDGA Board of Directors.

The PDGA did not follow the published Large Field Payout Calculator for Pro Worlds 2017 which resulted in a large amount of added cash going to the top finishers. You can see a quick snapshot of the projected versus actual payouts for 2017 Pro Worlds here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3275206&postcount=72 Many of the lower finishing players were shorted half the amount of projected payout, while Ricky earned double the projected payout for first.

So the question is: Will the PDGA Board vote to direct the 2018 Pro Worlds to follow the published PDGA Large Field Payout Calculator in an effort to ensure a flatter, deeper payout at Pro Worlds 2018 and to "incentivize more players to participate"?

Great question, but I'm on the other side. Why flatten anything? Are they having trouble filling Worlds or any other large event on tour? Two nights of hotel fees? There is a small group of hardcore touring pros that are trying to make this thing a living. That's what the PDGA should try to make a reality, or at least not take away from it. For the bottom 2/3rds of the field this is a vacation/road trip. A chance to play some great courses in some great company and have fun competing. The vast majority have day jobs (I hope). Why should we deepen the payouts so their vacation is a little cheaper and take money from the pockets of the elite players who are tying to make a living?

Don't get me wrong, I want the PDGA to do a lot in terms of participation, but not with the professional tour. I want that focus to be on youth, new players, young women, etc.

Drifting here, I'm sorry.

:\
Great question, but I'm on the other side. Why flatten anything? Are they having trouble filling Worlds or any other large event on tour? Two nights of hotel fees? There is a small group of hardcore touring pros that are trying to make this thing a living. That's what the PDGA should try to make a reality, or at least not take away from it. For the bottom 2/3rds of the field this is a vacation/road trip. A chance to play some great courses in some great company and have fun competing. The vast majority have day jobs (I hope). Why should we deepen the payouts so their vacation is a little cheaper and take money from the pockets of the elite players who are tying to make a living?

Why should those of us who work for a living bankroll the extended adolescences of a bunch of vagabonds who contribute nothing to our local disc golf communities? :|

Why should those of us who work for a living bankroll the extended adolescences of a bunch of vagabonds who contribute nothing to our local disc golf communities? :|

While I see your point, it is your choice to roll the dice and compete. I am not a fan of, "everybody should win something".

:clap: Nobody should be counting on the professional athletes to "contribute" to their local communities. It's nice when they do, but I thinks that's a weird standard to have. Vagabonds, well maybe, but the idea is for that to change and it won't happen if we take money from the top group who is already barely making it so the bottom 2/3rds can have a couple hundred bucks more. If you are in the bottom 2/3rds you are not that good, and you should be prepared to bankroll those who are. That's kind of how competition works.

I absolutely agree. If we're trying to ween the ams off of these merch payouts and go trophy only it doesn't make sense to start widening the payouts in the pro fields.

While I see your point, it is your choice to roll the dice and compete. I am not a fan of, "everybody should win something".

I absolutely agree. If we're trying to ween the ams off of these merch payouts and go trophy only it doesn't make sense to start widening the payouts in the pro fields.

Do you believe that people who cash at pro worlds should at least win their entry fee back?

I'd agree with that. However i haven't looked at past years payouts do see how far down the payout ladder that break even point is.

Do you believe that people who cash at pro worlds should at least win their entry fee back?

Latest posts