• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] 2024 United States Women's Disc Golf Championships

@CD-

Eagle Member
First major of the year is USWDGC in Austin, TX.
21-Mar to 24-Mar-2024
Forecast is Thursday thunderstorms ⛈️ but mostly clear Fri-Sun. Temperatures in the 70s for highs mid afternoon, upper 50s/lower 60s in the early AM. Higher winds Sun (15+mph 🌬️) but relatively calm the other days (<10mph).

Live broadcast on DGN, PDGA members get all 4 rounds coverage with the basic tier. Next day feature/lead card post produced coverage from Jomez Pro.

FPO plays Sprinkle Valley all 4 rounds. ~8100ft Par 64 by UDisc measurements for the longest layout.
Course previews:

DGPT event was in Austin last weekend so no travel and plenty of practice time for touring FPO/FP## competitors. Probably the biggest & highest strength FPO field we will see all year with over 100 registered?

Last edited:
Hard not to forsee Tattar, Ohn, and Missy in the top 3. Four rounds should give players with great bounce-back stats a chance to even out some bogeys, so I have a feeling there will be at least one mostly unfamiliar name among the top 10.

Hopefully the Sprinkle Valley course balances placing tee shots and putting in a way that doesn't exclude the shorter throwing portions of the field. There are a handful of less precise distance throwing golfers in the top 15 or so (by rating) that will lose that advantage of being able to throw past 400' by the looks of the course previews/practice rounds so far.

I think players with accurate FH come out ahead mostly for predominant woods courses like Sprinkle Valley looks to be. Hailey King and Eveliina Salonen both are capable FH & BH players and I expect them to be in the mix come Sunday. I could see Sai Ananda, Lykke Lorentzen, and Silva Saarinen in the top 10 if their putting is on from longer range. Henna Blomroos needs to putt well from C1 to be in contention I think - >65% from C1x.

Sundays wind is certainly something to consider - I think most players struggle with adjusting on the putting green and changing up tee shots from prior rounds when they had good results.

I'm guessing par will be tough for most of the FPO field. Shooting 65 (par by caddy book) will probably be 960-970 and down in the 50s will be 1000+ rated. Winner maybe gets below -20 in 4 full rounds based on this recent 1 round event's ratings for what I think is the same layout - Fuego Friday Flex Start @ Sprinkle Valley - USWDGC Fundraiser Series #6

Another couple FPO players practice round:

Hard not to forsee Tattar, Ohn, and Missy in the top 3. Four rounds should give players with great bounce-back stats a chance to even out some bogeys, so I have a feeling there will be at least one mostly unfamiliar name among the top 10.

I thought Missy playing the front 9 blind and carding a -1 is a pretty good indication that the course suits her. I think Ohn and Kristin also have the ability to find lines that other players might either miss or not have the ability to throw. Might be too early to pick Silva for a top ten, but the course could really suit her game as well and she certainly has the talent to stay with the top guns.

Advantage to players who can throw slower less skippy discs on a lot of holes and to players who scramble well. Longer range putting gets magnified too with all the scrambling involved.

Advantage to players who can throw slower less skippy discs on a lot of holes and to players who scramble well. Longer range putting gets magnified too with all the scrambling involved.

Except for Ohn of course. She'll blast her Destroyer in from 200, land 50 feet right, skip 25 past the basket, and nail the putt for birdie.

I'm only seeing stats for you know who. Are the volunteers on strike?

Are the stats supposed to be in UDisc or PDGA Live? With the new rule that everyone scores, are they even using volunteers?

Just PDGA Live now (app and web). If you click on Kona's name, you should see stats. They were working fine last weekend.

They do use volunteers for stat-keeping, but not for scorekeeping.

A lead card without Kristin or Ohn!
I'm guessing Tattar will be there for round 3, but I'm looking forward to seeing some different faces for at least one round.
Missy isn't a new face, but it's been awhile since Cox, Ananda and Val M. were in the mix.

A lead card without Kristin or Ohn!
I'm guessing Tattar will be there for round 3, but I'm looking forward to seeing some different faces for at least one round.
Missy isn't a new face, but it's been awhile since Cox, Ananda and Val M. were in the mix.

Kristin is about where I thought she'd be. She took a day off after Austin instead of practicing all week like some of the other players.

Ohn had a shocker of a round and looked oddly flustered.

Sai started last season really well, so not a complete shock to see her doing well here. I think the course suits her.

Same with Rebecca, who seemed to work really hard this off-season (from her social media posts). She was on the lead card of last Fall's USWDGC going into the third round before the rain and Kristin made things tough. She did finish a solid 14th.

I'm wondering if Valerie is finally getting healthy after her injury last year. I had a chance to talk to her after Idlewild last year and asked her how she was feeling. She said that she barely made it through the final round (coasting to an easy win) and didn't feel like she could have lasted another nine holes.

Definitely interested to see the new layout. I would love for DGN to do a course preview show for each tournament. I would be much more interested in that as opposed to a lot of the other non-tournament content they produce.

yeah, the Jomez practice rounds (DGN owned/produced) can be a bit off the rails for the hole descriptions and no hole flyovers generally. Maybe they just produce the drone flyovers used in the live broadcast in a single video for each layout/course as a kind of video caddy book ahead of the event and put out an updated video each year with the changes made.
DGPT posted this yesterday for a Sprinkle Valley Course Preview for USWDGC, still not a produced show with any commentary or anything but kinda what I was looking for -

Temperature looks a bit better 🌞 but afternoon brings some wind. Later tee times will get 10-15mph for the full round which is a bit more than yesterday.

Stat keeping was sporadic for R1 - probably just a handful of caddies/fans spread throughout the field. Kind of a gap to not show the scoring spread calculated for those that didn't keep full stats and just leave the other stats as N/A to fill out the stats page for the full field. As the rounds go on we will probably see more stats for the golfers that are up near the top cards (weekend might get a few more stat keeping folks following along).

Last edited: