• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pdga member

prohopkid

Birdie Member
Should I become one? I've only been playing for a few months but I want to start doing tournaments as a rec player for now. Is it worth the 50$ a year? I don't expect to ever win anything.

Never played tourney.....I plan to but I work Sunday through Thursday and I have army the third weekend every month....seems like that's when most stuffs happening

I'd encourage people trying to get their feet wet with tournaments to play a few first before deciding on a PDGA membership. A lot of folks I know who tried to do disc golf everything their first year playing, PDGA membership and all, largely burned out when they found they enjoyed the game a bit more informally. Tournaments, especially sanctioned ones, in many respects run at odds with that.

I'd encourage people trying to get their feet wet with tournaments to play a few first before deciding on a PDGA membership. A lot of folks I know who tried to do disc golf everything their first year playing, PDGA membership and all, largely burned out when they found they enjoyed the game a bit more informally. Tournaments, especially sanctioned ones, in many respects run at odds with that.

I think I'm going to go that route and just play random doubles. It's a fun hobby and a safer one that I can have a few beers with. I road BMX for a sponsor and got tired of breaking bones in contests to win

If you are a super jazzed up jump in competitive guy, get one now. Gives you a pretty legit tracking tracking number. Your distant decedants will have data to look up. Nice wallet card. A disc first year. 4 issues of a magazine printed on glossy paper delivered by mail.

Otherwise, explore your local scene for a bit.

If you want to give back, $50 towards local courses is better spent for some.

Yeah, if you're going to play 2 or 3 tournaments, you may as well sign up.

$10 off a tournament, a rating, a mag sub, and they have a pretty kickass membership disc right now. If you don't like it, you'll get more than full value back.

I've never been bothered by the $50 annual membership cost. If your going to play 5+ tournaments it pays for itself. It's the tournament fees that will eat away at you. Inflated costs because of the requirement that a PDGA tournament require a players pack. Meaning you have to buy things that you don't necessarily want or need just to enter a sanctioned event. That is the bummer not the annual membership fee.

I've never been bothered by the $50 annual membership cost. If your going to play 5+ tournaments it pays for itself. It's the tournament fees that will eat away at you. Inflated costs because of the requirement that a PDGA tournament require a players pack. Meaning you have to buy things that you don't necessarily want or need just to enter a sanctioned event. That is the bummer not the annual membership fee.

Not a requirement at C-tiers.

And only a minimum $10 value at B-tiers. And it's a requirement of the tournament regardless of whether you're a member or not, so I'm not sure how it's a detriment to joining.

DGCR isn't the best place to ask about pdga as a huge majority on here aren't members and most seem to have lots of negative things about it even though they aren't members. I joined the pdga as almost a complete beginner and of course didn't have the best results right away but I stuck with it and improved. I am the opposite it seems of people on here I prefer competitive play and prefer the consistent play by the rules that large sanctioned tournaments provide (a tier or above). I like the big players pack you receive (ie ledgestone and bg ams) and also the big payouts. If we (my wife plays as well) would have chosen to we could have more than paid for entry fees in most of the big tournies this year by selling our players pack/winnings.

If you're looking at it as a purchase, thinking of what economic value you receive for your $50, then no, at least not until your schedule allows you to play tournaments.

If it's worth it to you to be part of the organization, then perhaps. When I started it seemed natural to be part of the only national or international disc golf organization, as I would with any other serious hobby. You'll get a disc (first year), a subscription to the only printed disc golf magazine, a vote in PDGA matters, and be helping the PDGA further its efforts. How much value does that have to you?

For most people, the answer will be, "Not $50 worth," which is understandable. If you're among them, save the $50 until you're playing tournaments, or put it into the local club where it will have a more immediate impact.

I play more unsanctioned than sanctioned events each year, and didn't compete in ANY formal tournaments for the first decade I played, so the return on investment wasn't really a concern for me. That said, if I would have joined when I first started playing my PDGA number would be 4 digits. as it stands, my number is nearly 80,000. A little hindsight regret there for me, which is why both my boys now have their own numbers at 5 and 1 1/2 years old :)

Personally, I never worried too much about the cost to value on pdga membership. Just joined right up, same as I did the local club(s). They are all promoting disc golf, which means parks might give more weight to the sport, and be more receptive when folks suggest they put in a course. More courses (of all skill levels) means more fun for everybody, tournament players or not.

Now, I have to admit, I play a LOT of tourneys (sanctioned and not), So I definitely get my money's worth there. But I will also play doubles, club leagues, and tons of casual rounds (with friends or even solo). I just love the thrill of seeing the flight of a well-executed throw. I'm willing to spend 13 cents a day to support the pdga. :thmbup:

I don't look at organization memberships as a way to get free/discounted goods or entry fees. I look at them as a means of supporting an activity I'm interested in. So, as an avid disc golfer, I have a PDGA membership and also memberships in state and local clubs. Even though I'm a poor to mediocre disc golfer at best, I enjoy the sport and its camaraderie, so I'm always seeking ways to contribute dollars, services, or time to improve the experience for other golfers. Being a part of sponsoring organizations is one way to do that plus you get the previously mentioned benefits. Picking up litter in your local park is another. You decide what makes sense for you.

Yeah just join now. Don't analyze the cost, and support the organization. You'll have your PDGA number and all that crap. It's renewing that seemingly 80% of members have the problem with. Play monthlies as an intro to tournament play, if you enjoy those then sanctioned are run and flow very similar.

Yeah, I'm with the 'just join' crowd, to me it doesn't matter how many tournaments I plan on playing - I'm happy to support the professional organization of my favorite sport. Personally I 'have' to join, because I enjoy playing some of the big a tiers, If possible, I will never miss a bg ams, even if I accept cash some day, I'll still go to caddy for Mandabear, bu for now I still need a PDGA membership to play, plus several a tiers around the country, worlds if possible, and I hope to make it back to Am Nats some day.

I enjoy the magazine, I proudly hang the dog tags on my bag, I sold or gave away the esp stalker I got, I've never used the hotel discounts (I can't say I've stayed in a hotel during the entire time I've had a pdga membership...), I like being able to track my performance via rating and having records of all the past tournaments I've played, I've enjoyed the idgc multiple times - cool museum/pro shop and awesome courses! To me, it's well worth it for a mere $0.14 per day.

Latest posts