• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA rating for everyone

Yes. We use some alternate ways as needed so players always get a rating, even with no props. Having enough props just uses a more consistent process and likely more accurate rating. If there are only 3 props playing the unique layout in two rounds, that counts as 6 props anyway since the scores from both rounds would be combined to do the normal calculation process.

The PDGA needs a $10 supporting membership option. This would allow you to get league and tournament ratings. You would still have to pay the $10 fee to play in tournaments. But for people who only play one or two events a year it would make sense. Or maybe even make the PDGA tournament fee $5 for supporting members.

I think if there was a $10 option to join the PDGA we would get a lot more members.

There was discussion about a PDGA league membership for maybe $25-$30 that would include the magazine and league ratings but players would still have to pay the $10 fee at weekend events. The idea didn't fly for the time being.

You are able to see your round ratings even if you aren't a PDGA member. It wouldn't be too hard to guesstimate on your overall ranking. For me, I don't think it is worth the money. I play less than a tournament a year on average and am honest if not overambitious on assigning myself to a group.

Only for unofficial scores. Once a tourney goes official, you cannot see ratings for your rounds. Of course, if you shot the same score as someone else that round, you can figure your rating out.

Only for unofficial scores. Once a tourney goes official, you cannot see ratings for your rounds. Of course, if you shot the same score as someone else that round, you can figure your rating out.
And even if you didn't, you can pretty much find out by figuring out what the points per stroke was.

I never liked the term propagator, it seems so negative, like you're causing the downfall of something. I looked it up and it seems to have more to do with gardening than statistics. Is there any other word we can use to increase the positivity of it.

Synonyms:

afford, breed, bring, bring about, cause, effect, engender, father, generate, get, give rise to, multiply, occasion, procreate, produce, progenerate, propagate , reproduce, result in, sire

Just a thought....Discuss.

Question for Chuck:
We have a dude here in NM who has been playing MM1 for years and dominating the field (I am an open player so doesn't effect me). He refuses to join the PDGA and actually embraces being called a bagger and all the regular ridicule that comes along with it. He attempted to sign up for my event and I said only if he plays at least MA1 or MPM. Needless to say he didn't sign up. Is there any way to enforce this officially? I'm sure if he had a rating he would be rated above the MM1 cut off. We have a regular group of about 10-15 MM1 players who are PDGA members and they are beginning to get frustrated by him. What would you recommend for a TD to do in this case?

Just looked at the chart. You are correct about there not being a cut off for MM1. Still wonder if there is something that could be done about this.

There's no such thing as a ratings cut off for any amateur, just for pros playing an amateur division. A current amateur PDGA member may enter their appropriate Advanced division(s) no matter how high their rating goes. The interesting thing here is that he only has that protection as a PDGA member in PDGA events. A TD for a sanctioned or unsanctioned event has the right to require a player who is not a PDGA member to only enter specific divisions or not play. So you and other TDs in the area can require this player to enter MA1 or MPM until he gets the message and doesn't have events where he can play in MM1 unless he runs it himself.

Tracking ratings for non-members is nearly impossible. Names are not unique, current member ratings are tracked by PDGA number. Former members who do not renew could be tracked, but anyone who has never joined will be impossible to keep a rating for.

There was discussion about a PDGA league membership for maybe $25-$30 that would include the magazine and league ratings but players would still have to pay the $10 fee at weekend events. The idea didn't fly for the time being.

under what scenario would anyone pay for this level of membership? I can't think of one.

i still have trouble thinking of why i should purchase a pdga membership at its current cost. i haven't yet come up with one.

under what scenario would anyone pay for this level of membership? I can't think of one.

Really? How about someone who plays sanctioned leagues but doesn't play sanctioned tournaments, and wants a player rating? Or someone who wants to be a PDGA member but rarely plays tournaments, and can't justify the full cost? Or someone who TDs sanctioned events but doesn't play in them? Or some combination of the above.

Players should consider supporting your PDGA (yes, "your") even if there were no direct personal benefits at all - no tournament discounts, no magazine, no ratings, no historical stats tracking, no informative website. The PDGA should be supported simply because its existence is fundamental to supporting the sport that many players get to play free from the efforts of PDGA members and non-members simply influenced or following PDGA guidelines over the years. You go out and play your very first round and some way or another, the PDGA had an impact on that in terms of rules, approved discs, approved baskets, course design guidelines, course installation, making the Park Dept feel the sport is legit so they installed the course, making the local citizens, city council and media comfortable that it's appropriate to use park resources for disc golf.

None of this has anything to do with tournaments, clubs, your stats, magazines or website. All you need to do is see the battle going on in Albert Lea where the city administration and media are actually backing the efforts PDGA players have made to properly design and install a course by getting the proper approvals and hopping thru the appropriate hoops. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60323&page=2 A case can be made that the groundwork from a variety of PDGA efforts over the years has provided the underpinnings for that city support.