• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA rule question

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
I was told that if a disc hits in bounds, then goes ob in water, you can play it from where it originally hit land. With a penalty stroke of course. Is this a legal play?

Reason why I ask is purely hypothetical, but at one local hole I can see this happening. Let's say the hole runs parallel with a body of water on one side. Say a 200ish foot hole. Drive skips of the top of the basket right into the water. It wouldn't really make sense to play it from where it first hit. Then you'd be basically dropping in for par? I'm confused.

Where it hits means nothing. It is where it comes to rest.
If a tree knocks it into the water, you do not play from the tree.

If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. (If the two meter penalty is in effect See also 803.08 D and E for movement of a disc above the playing surface.)

Reason why I ask is purely hypothetical, but at one local hole I can see this happening. Let's say the hole runs parallel with a body of water on one side. Say a 200ish foot hole. Drive skips of the top of the basket right into the water. It wouldn't really make sense to play it from where it first hit. Then you'd be basically dropping in for par? I'm confused.

You play it from where it was LAST in bounds not where it skipped from. You're given a meter so you can take your stance.

However, if it flies out of bounds and skips off of out of bounds and lands in....it's good.

Unfortunately this is not the case, you would play it from where it went OB over land. So say the water is 15 feet or so behind the basket, you skip off the top and go in to the water. You would be putting 1-meter in from the edge of the OB line (waters edge). Even if this brings you closer to the basket. So basically you would end up with ~12ft putt for a Circle 3.

You play from the edge of the water where it entered the water. You get up to a meter of relief from that edge in a direction perpendicular to the waterline.

these answers are not always the case.... if there is a drop zone you must play from there.... and theres also an "optional rethrow" where you take your penilty stroke and rethrow from your last lie.... not usually the first option.... but an option none the less

these answers are not always the case.... if there is a drop zone you must play from there.... and theres also an "optional rethrow" where you take your penilty stroke and rethrow from your last lie.... not usually the first option.... but an option none the less

(Only if the TD mandates use of the drop zone. Otherwise, it's a 3rd option.)