• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Penix QuadShux... safe to go back in the water!

DiscGolfTeeSigns.com

* Ace Member *
I figure it's pretty common knowledge that the last few months have been super rocky for Phenix Quads... mainly that they seemed to have a 25%+ failure rate... the stitching on the D-rings was coming out because it was a crappy stitch scheme. They were busting as soon as the first couple rounds of use.

Here at the store where I work we got a new batch of Quads -- they look the same, but they now have a cardboard bag-top with Avery's photo on it .... and.... super heavy-duty stitching at the flawed point. What used to be a close adjacent double stitch like this: || now looks like this: |X| ... like they used to be.

My quads from 2005 and early 2009 are still going strong and I always liked recommending Quads based on excellent durability, so I'm glad to see Phenix seemingly back on track with these.

I think it's safe to buy Quads again. Just know what to look for... the Avery bag-top. On a deeper level, you can ask that it has the X stitch on the D-rings.

(also i'm not that guy, but y'all know where i work, and our stock of Quads is all new-batch.)
Support your retailer of choice! :)

Do you mean failure like this?

014.jpg

Then yeah, I know about that problem. :roll: They replaced mine with a pair that looks the same as the ones that failed. :( The ones that failed didn't make it two full rounds, the replacements have been hanging in there at least.

One of my carabiners busted a while back on my pair of late 2009's :cry:

EDIT: I asked them about it, they're shipping 4 more to me no questions asked. Sweet!

at least its the stiching, and not the fabric tearing

you could always sew em back up - while adding a better hookup

couple things...

- yes it was a very easy home / dry-cleaners fix of stitching it back well
- they were being replaced (by Phenix) with more from the faulty batch... leading to repeat failures

so your best options were to either get it fixed (and not replaced by Phenix) or replace them with Gel Strapz or Innova straps

the new ones look solid. had to have been the aggravation of a lifetime for Phenix :lol:

Last year I made the mistake of Buying New Quads and Selling my old ones which looked brand new. I wanted the Reds to match my bag. The new and old quads up next to each other look nothing alike. The new ones just look cheap and feel cheaper. I was very unimpressed. I sent them back and didnt even use them. I quickly tracked a new Old pair down on ebay... They just were not as comfortable and seemed shorter also..

I got my first pair earlier this year and they've been doing fine thus far. If things change I'll post otherwise.

Latest posts