• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philadelphia Trip

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Friday:

7:30 AM: Alarm/Wake-Up Call

8-8:30 AM: Departure from Hotel

9AM: Arrival at Muddy Run DGC

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8867

11 AM: Departure from Muddy Run DGC

12 PM – 1 PM: Arrival at Iron Hill DGC (Lunch Pending)

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2737

3 PM: Departure from Iron Hill DGC

4 PM: Arrival at Stafford Woods DGC

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5583

5:30 PM: Departure from Stafford Woods DGC

6 PM: Arrival at Citizens Bank Field for Phillies vs. Padres at 6: 35 PM. Eat at Ballpark.

9:30 PM: Departure from CBF

Saturday:

7 AM: Alarm/Wake Up Call

7:30 AM: Departure from hotel

8:30 AM: Arrival at French Creek State Park for Dogs of Summer Tournament

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3108

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Dogs_Of_Summer_2017

5 PM: Departure from Tournament

Sunday:

8 AM: Hotel Departure

9 AM: Arrival at Nockamixon State Park

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=20

11 AM: Departure from Nocky

1 PM: Arrival at Jordan Creek after lunch

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=32

3 PM: Departure from Jordan Creek

This is my potential set up for this coming weekend. So many great courses there, so little time. Sigh. Tried to limit time, maximize courses and go to a new baseball stadium.

Are there any courses I should hit instead? I want to hit the best, but also limit travel. Pretty much anywhere within two hours of downtown PHI is debatable.

Part of me is considering switching friday to monday, due to weather concerns. I hope not, because then the baseball game would be out of the question, but I will be in Philly again eventually.

Other choices:
Tyler
Blue Mountain
???

If I switch to Monday, I might have to change the whole itinerary entirely, I will keep it updated.

You'll have to hustle to play the Friday set, and bank on a few traffic delays. Hit Malin's deli on the way to Iron Hill for lunch. Course choices are good.

You'll have to hustle to play the Friday set, and bank on a few traffic delays. Hit Malin's deli on the way to Iron Hill for lunch. Course choices are good.

Yea, Friday was the one I was worried about. Stafford Woods was skippable/quittable depending on time. If this holds up, we are staying in Lancaster, with all travel times staying under 1 hour. Traffic is the thing though. I can usually play a course of those lengths in 1 hour 45, so I gave cushions in a lot of places.

If you play Iron Hill from the longs, plan on an extra stroke or so per hole. If you are on a tight schedule, Iron Hill is plenty challenging (and plenty of fun) from the shorter tees.

If you play Iron Hill from the longs, plan on an extra stroke or so per hole. If you are on a tight schedule, Iron Hill is plenty challenging (and plenty of fun) from the shorter tees.

Probably playing short tees to long baskets. I have an alternative schedule for a Sat-Mon trip that I need to write up.

Probably playing short tees to long baskets. I have an alternative schedule for a Sat-Mon trip that I need to write up.

If you'd be willing to forgo playing all the same layout at IH, a compelling option and walk-saver on each hole is:

1: LS
2: SL
3: SL
4: LS
5: SL
6: LS or LL
7: LS (short pad isn't great and this short pin position is awesome)
8: SS (one of the more underrated holes on the course)
9: LS
10: SL
11: SL
12: SS (note: this pin position, as on 14, is longer than the gold placement)
13: LS (same logic as 7)
14: SL
15: SS
16-18: I strongly recommend playing long to long on these. They're probably the three most demanding holes on the course, and coming at the end of the round is a vicious design.

If you'd be willing to forgo playing all the same layout at IH, a compelling option and walk-saver on each hole is:

1: LS
2: SL
3: SL
4: LS
5: SL
6: LS or LL
7: LS (short pad isn't great and this short pin position is awesome)
8: SS (one of the more underrated holes on the course)
9: LS
10: SL
11: SL
12: SS (note: this pin position, as on 14, is longer than the gold placement)
13: LS (same logic as 7)
14: SL
15: SS
16-18: I strongly recommend playing long to long on these. They're probably the three most demanding holes on the course, and coming at the end of the round is a vicious design.

Thanks for the advice!

This is the new schedule. I switched because of looming weather. Tried to keep all the same courses, might switch Nocky and Tyler. What do you think??
Saturday:
6 AM: Wake Up Call
6:30 AM: Depart for tourney
7: AM: arrive at course
8:30: Check in
9AM-5PM: Play French Creek tournament, then depart
6-8 PM- Arrive in Allentown
If time allows, play Jordan Creek.
Sunday:
7AM- Depart Allentown
Disc Golf in AM
Jordan Creek, Nockamixon, or Tyler State Park
12:30PM: Arrive in Philadelphia for 1:35 Phillies vs. Padres
5PM: Depart Stadium
6:30 PM: Arrive at Stafford Woods DGC after dinner. Or earlier, eat after.
Arrive in Wilmington, Delaware for hotel stay.
Monday:
8 AM: Depart Wilmington
8:30 AM: Arrive at Iron Hill DGC
11 AM: Depart. Eat early lunch in Wilmington
1 PM: Arrive at Muddy Run DGC
Home

I might sacrifice Jordan Creek for Tyler. Nocky is my favorite of all those courses.

Allowing only 2 hours to play Iron Hill or Nockamixon is pure folly. Allow a minimum of three hours for each course, because they are tough and they are long.

Saturday:
6 AM: Wake Up Call
6:30 AM: Depart for tourney
7: AM: arrive at course
8:30: Check in
9AM-5PM: Play French Creek tournament, then depart
6-8 PM- Arrive in Allentown
If time allows, play Jordan Creek.

Don't expect to leave the Dogs of Summer before at least 6 at night. A tournament round of all gold will be pushing 3 and a half to 4 hours for the slow cards plus an hour for lunch (The Dead Dogs have a phenomenal spread usually). It'll be a long, grueling day at French.

I'm concerned with your timing.

Traffic (especially going to Phillies) is going to chew up time. Nocky to Tyler to a 130 start Phillies game is tough. Lehigh Valley to Nocky is around 30, Nocky to Tyler is an hour, and another hour to CBP from Tyler. Nocky can be a long round, depending on number of people and how far off your line you get. Disc searches can add up at Nocky. Tyler takes a lot of time as well, depending on current layout and # of holes you're looking to play.

Don't miss Nocky. It's my chosen destination in this area whenever time allows. Looks great right now too, saw some mowing being done on Monday.

Also as pointed out, you aren't doing anything else after a tournament at French Creek. Gold rounds there are loooooooooong, let alone in tournament play. It will be a long ass day.

I'm concerned with your timing.

Traffic (especially going to Phillies) is going to chew up time. Nocky to Tyler to a 130 start Phillies game is tough. Lehigh Valley to Nocky is around 30, Nocky to Tyler is an hour, and another hour to CBP from Tyler. Nocky can be a long round, depending on number of people and how far off your line you get. Disc searches can add up at Nocky. Tyler takes a lot of time as well, depending on current layout and # of holes you're looking to play.

Don't miss Nocky. It's my chosen destination in this area whenever time allows. Looks great right now too, saw some mowing being done on Monday.

Also as pointed out, you aren't doing anything else after a tournament at French Creek. Gold rounds there are loooooooooong, let alone in tournament play. It will be a long ass day.

I'm only playing one of those three, not all in morning. Just one. Good to know about the tourney.

I'm only playing one of those three, not all in morning. Just one. Good to know about the tourney.

My mistake. I thought you meant you were playing Jordan and then either Tyler or Nocky, I can't read ;).

If that's your only chance to get to Nockamixon, do it.

Friday afternoon 'shore traffic' could be a royal PITA, good luck btw Iron Hill and Stafford. I'd use I-295 and not the NJ turnpike, they parallel each other (295 is free). I might be free on Friday if you want a guide at Stafford. I'd walk and not play.

I just played Muddy on Sunday for the 1st time, it's great but will take some time, I played the short tees solo and it still took almost 90 minutes.

Last edited:
re: Iron, I play long (cement) tee to the short baskets, the short tees are dirt. Are the short silver baskets back in the ground after last weeks DDGC tourny?

Friday afternoon 'shore traffic' could be a royal PITA, good luck btw Iron Hill and Stafford. I'd use I-295 and not the NJ turnpike, they parallel each other (295 is free). I might be free on Friday if you want a guide at Stafford. I'd walk and not play.

I just played Muddy on Sunday for the 1st time, it's great but will take some time, I played the short tees solo and it still took almost 90 minutes.

I'm doing Iron Hill and Stafford two different days now for traffic reasons. I would love to take you up on the offer, but I am playing with family.

I will post an updated schedule soon. Probably going to have to miss Jordan Creek, sadly. Unless I can play it in an hour.

Latest posts