• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick Apart My Form

khdorriety

Hey everyone! I don't have the best video to critique, but I do at least have one decent clip for you all to pick apart. It's a video from behind only, but I may be able to get some better footage later when I figure out a way to combine my tripod and phone. This is from a trip some friends and I took yesterday to North Georgia Canopy Tours, which was my first time playing the course. I would highly recommend playing it if you're in the area and don't mind the course fee.

About the form: I started a few years ago and dove quickly into DGR and the super sekret tekniques. I will happily admit that most of that was above my head and was never fully implemented, but I like to think that I gained a little from all of that field work. I feel like I am at least slightly above the "strong arm only" plateau of 350 ft, and can usually put teebirds to around 360/375 and destroyers (Millennium Scorpius actually) to 415/425 on average throws. These numbers are based on standard "golf" lines, maybe with 20 ft of height or so. Usually released flat or slightly hyzer and the teebirds/scorpius have slight turn and fade, so not huge distance lines.

The following video was a throw from Hole 10 at NGCT, in pin position A and thrown from the long pad. Course signage says that distance should be 400ft. I threw a 175g Star Valkyrie on a hyzer flip. The disc doesn't show the best in the video, but my throw faded and skipped right under the basket finishing 20ft left and pin high. Thanks in advance for any advise you all can give me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkK6A-uQyXM

Last edited:
What it's looking like to me is you're getting into a good position at the hit point. But, the reachback is very high (look at how bent your elbow is) and it's behind your body. The follow through is also upwards and not on plane. I would concentrate on reachback/swing plane/followthrough all on the same plane, as well as a wider reachback so you're not coming around your body. Hopefully this would allow you to get more wound up in the backswing and keep everything consistent. That being said I'm in the same power category as you, and you're not yanking on stuff if you're putting Teebirds and Valks out that far. But that's what I'm seeing from that angle.

As stated above, you would probably benefit from a reachback and release "on the same plane".
I don't know how consistent you are with release angles and lines, but if you reach back and release on the same level plane, it will revolutionize the consistency.

Also, as slowplastic has already mentioned, try to keep the reachback on the same line that you intend to throw along. Again, this will help consistency. You are bringing the disc around your body, so I'm guessing that hitting a tight line is a challenge.

Your pacing looks good, you have a good front foot plant and you are pivoting on the heel.
However, possibly you are not using all your energy in the forward direction. Instead, it looks more like a spin than a brace.

Just some thoughts.

Awesome! I see what you both are talking about with staying on plane with my reach-back and everything, that makes a lot of sense. As far as bracing goes, I'm not sure that I'm bracing at all. I understand the concept of bracing and what it should look like from watching some of the videos that you all have posted in the forums numerous times, but I haven't fully been able to get into the field and give it a shot recently to see what I can do. I think up until reading about bracing I was actually rotating on the ball of my plant foot more than anything, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm still mostly just rotating and not fully bracing against the foot. I won't be able to get out and throw for a week and a half or so (weather coming through the Southeast and being out of town this weekend), but if any one else has suggestions for me to ponder and work on before I get to the field feel free to chime in!

Also, thanks to whichever mod moved my thread over, I completely missed the fact that I was posting in the wrong sub.

Your stride and hips are swaying to the left, so your rotation is drifting left and slowing down instead of staying centered and fast. You can see how your body finishes around to the left. If you watch most pros they often finish to the right, as they braced to stay centered and the momentum carries them through over to the right.

Hey everyone. Original video embed is broken but the link should still get you there on the first post.

Hoping to break through the plateau that I've fallen down to. It's been several years since the first video, in which time life has taken more of my disc golf time away. Trying to play about once a week now, but still miss a week every now and then. In the original video I was throwing the valk about 400' and still get it to about 375 consistently with one breaking through a little further every now and then. Same red valk shown in the throw below, but I hope it's a better angle for critique. I think I've fixed most of my swaying and the reach plane issues are better but still not perfect, however I feel like I still must have something going on to be hanging out in basically the same spot 5 years later. Any ideas?

Most prevalent symptom that I've picked up over these years is that I'm really struggling to throw anything faster than a mid without a hyzer release. Not sure what's going on mentally to make that change, but I can even see my release here coming out hyzer. Don't know if that helps.

Thanks everyone!

1. You start turning backward too early and hit the top of the backswing too early/too far away from the plant. You push off rear heel instead of toes. Need to stay more forward addressed to target going into x-step, and turn back into rear leg, not turn back on right leg before it.
701DA37.png

2. Your stance is staggered too closed, easier to see from behind tee camera view. Need to move your CoG more to the left over front foot or rather move your front foot more underneath your CoG with straighter stride, you are behind your front foot toward right tee pad and jamming up behind your foot, note how your head is tilted over into front shoulder.
attachment.php

GFUvxDfm.png

3. You swing downward nose up, instead of swinging upward nose down.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137985

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 4.30.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 4.30.55 PM.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ok, guess learning to dance should have been a higher priority growing up! Action points I'll work on over the next few sessions: delay backswing until x-step rather than turning so early, plant more directly in line and launch into plant from back toe rather than back heel, keep head more centered or even lagging, and try to take backswing even further down while adjusting nose angle down to swing up nose down. Thanks for such a quick response!