• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plasti Dip Portective Coating

Webslinger

Par Member
I've just read through an older thread on "dipping" bags in Plasti Dip. It sounds like a great idea for new bags and/or bags that are wearing somewhat on the bottom.
So, here's my question. My Revo Carolina bag is still in great shape, looks good and all, but in two of the corners on the bottom of the bag there are two small holes. I'm talking 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide. If I can seal those holes somehow, I believe I would get another couple years of use or more out of it.
So will Plasti Dip do that, or is it designed more for filling in cracks and crannies? Once you have actual holes in the bottom of the bag, is it too late to use this product?

If possible I'd patch them before plastidiping. Hell, you can probably use the dip as an adhesive for just a small cloth square over the holes, then do another couple more layers over the patch.

I've seen Plasti Dip used more as a preventative measure instead of a cure for rips or tears.

I made the DIY Cabela's bag and sprayed a few layers on to protect the bottom from wear and tear.

I think if you could somehow patch the holes first and then Plasti Dip, you'd be good to go.

i used plastidip on a bag that i had used for many years and it was starting to wear on the bottom by the drink holder. I used a whole can on the bottom but it looks good. its had a small hole on the bottom, So like everyone else said patch it up and then pastidip and you will for sure get many more years out of it.

If possible I'd patch them before plastidiping. Hell, you can probably use the dip as an adhesive for just a small cloth square over the holes, then do another couple more layers over the patch.

I think patching the holes with some sort of fabric prior to applying several coats would be your best bet. I can even see dipping the fabric in plastidip first, and letting it act as the adhesive.

I for sheer durability, I also recommend the dip/brush on rather than the spray on - at least that's been my observation. Take your time and apply several coats, and I think you'll be OK.

If you get the brush on plastidip and apply multiple thick coats it can plug up massive holes. It would be smart to put a single layer of material to keep the plastidip from going inside the bag.

I did this to a torn bag with up to 1/2 inch holes with no "patch" beforehand and it easily fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Sounds like I've got the right idea then. I appreciate all the suggestions. I will indeed cover the holes with a durable fabric then apply Plasti Dip. Sounds like brushing it on is the better idea.
One other questions, once applied to the bag, will Plasti Dip rub off or discolor anything I set it on; like the floor or seat of my truck, carpet in the closet where I keep my bag, etc.?

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
One other question, once applied to the bag, will Plasti Dip rub off or discolor anything I set it on; like the floor or seat of my truck, carpet in the closet where I keep my bag, etc.?
Once it's dry: no.
Never had an issue with that, ever.

If it were to get abraided off, it would probably come off in bits like a sneaker sole - but I've never seen that occur. But it won't discolor or be absorbed into anything once it's dry.

Last edited:
I put it on my innova standard bag and I works great. I masked up about 3' from the bottom and used a foam brush to apply about 3-4 coats and it works magic,I think ill put a few more years on my bag for about 15$.

^ I've always wondered about that. I can imagine it's tough as nails.
1) where can you get it?
2) how much does it cost?
3) how easy/hard is it to apply?

Plasitidip is avail at Home Depot, Lowe's and many local hardware stores.
It costs about $10/can + cost of foam brushes
Goes on like thick paint, and only needs 30 min between coats - pretty easy.

Truck bed liner is a much more heavy and rigid material. Plastidip is the way to go as far as DG bags, the truckliner stuff not so much.

My bag.
1DEBAAA1-259F-4BC3-8E21-B1E965285E85-368-000000170FC7B031_zps4a4becd4.jpg

I've got 5 coats on my pos fade tourney bag, best $5 I spent all year. For the existing holes I just coated them, no patches, and haven't had a problem.

If you go online you can get a can of clear plasti dip with colored dyes if you're looking for something other than black. Just go to the plasti dip website.

Might look cool to use the clear without any dye.
If you don't like it, you could always apply a coat of black or color on top of it.

Once it's dry: no.
Never had an issue with that, ever.

If it were to get abraided off, it would probably come off in bits like a sneaker sole - but I've never seen that occur. But it won't discolor or be absorbed into anything once it's dry.

Awesome! I'll be at Home Depot in a few short minutes then. Thanks all!

Anyone still doing this or have you found a better option for bag lining durability upgrades?

Personally, I think spray on truck bed liner works better. Just like plasti-dip, the more coats you do the better as it builds up some thickness. It's in the spray paint section of any big box hardware store.

Latest posts