• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play with yourself

I don't play as many solo rounds as I used to, so when I do go out and throw by myself, it's mostly for relaxation and enjoyment. I'll usually bring a camera and try to snap some interesting pictures and just enjoy my time out there. If it's not too busy, I may work a few extra drives in on some holes that give me problems, or holes that are just fun to empty your bag on.

I play so many rounds for ratings, money, merch credit that I look forward to the opportunity to play just a peaceful, casual round without any competition. Most of the time I play alone for these, because for some ungodly reason everyone here seems to think it's a sin to play disc golf with nothing on the line...

I just play to enjoy the round for the sake of enjoying the round.

I unfortunately take it far more seriously when I play solo versus getting out with a group. It is therapeutic to a degree, but when I have no one to compare how badly we are playing because of the conditions and whatnot, I do on occasion get frustrated when I do not make a shot I know I have made in the past.

Yet when I am out alone for a round, I do very much enjoy unloading my bag on every hole where I know I have clear enough lines to watch everything land. I like to try new lines and styles of throws, that way when it is time to show off in front of friends, I play better, and thus that also adds to the enjoyment of playing with others.

Several of the courses near here are built next to play grounds. I often end up with spectators when I drive, so I might as well put on a show by driving all those pretty discs.

When I play alone, I like to make sure that all necessary safety precautions are taken whenever possible.

I like to take multiple putts each hole also, because it's just not appropriate to do that while playing in a group, but I always want to.

I tend to play more seriously when solo. I yell and cuss more (when I totally screw a shot up) solo. (Yeah I know that DG is supposed to be chill.) When I play alone, I am trying to get a new best score. When I play with others, I am just trying to do better than them. But to create a situation where I'm not as worried about my score, I can come up with different angles for playing. One time I made flash cards with all of my discs at the time, and played "random disc" disc golf. For each shot I drew a flash card and had to throw that disc for that shot, no matter what. I had to tee off with putters, and putt with warp speed drivers, etc. It changed my focus while playing, making me try things I wouldn't normally try. I actually ended up only 2 shots off my then personal best. Go figure. Other times I'll play two rounds simultaneously. My "normal best" line up vs. my "trying to get into the bag" lineup, or maybe a round of Discraft vs. Innova, etc.

Depends on why I'm out there by myself.

-If I'm out there just to get out of the house for a bit, I just slug through a normal round, trying to make the best score I can.

-If I'm looking to work on drives, I take 2 off every tee, either using a different line, or different type driver depending on the hole.

-If I'm looking to work on Midrange game, I just bring my mids/putters to throw off the tee, and take 2 upshots at every basket (generally one with a putter and one with a midrange)

-If I'm looking to work on putting, I make myself make 2 putts from the same spot for them to count (ie make 2 from 30' for bird for it to actually count as a bird). This helps me focus on every putt.

You can do lots of stuff out on the course by yourself for practice that playing with a group wouldn't normally allow (either tournament or just being courteous to others during a casual round)

Jesse B 707 said:
Gretagun i am SUPER fuckin jealous of that avatar

Thanks man! I'm slowly starting to learn some things with Photoshop and made that one last night.

I throw multiple drives, approaches, and putts when I play by myself. Also, depending on how much traffic there is on the course that day, I'll take about 10 putts on every hole from spots that I usually get looks at a 2.

Benton said:
How do you keep solo rounds interesting?

No problem, until I start shooting an 18...then it will get boring.

A lot of times, I take either a putter or mid only, and jog. I can then get a good workout, and work at improving both my time, and my score.

discspeed said:
I do most of the things mentioned. Other things to try include ways to compete with yourself such as playing a 1 disc round with two different discs to see which one wins, playing backhand Vs. forehand, rollers Vs. airshots, etc.

This ^^^^^

+ Aggressive vs. conservative (lots of lessons to be learned here)

Carry only 1 disc (star aviar putter for me in this case) or 2 or three (putter, champ leopard.) Sprint every hole for a workout. Throwing putter only rounds makes me throw my drivers farther the next time out with the whole bag.