• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Players that have maintained a 1000+ rating since the rating system started 1998

Congrats on the apparent success of your marriage (from a twice-divorced dude)!

I'm also happy you didn't incorrectly refer to it as "ironic" as many people would have!

Thanks! I'd be lying if I said that it has always been easy, but it's definitely been worth it for me, looking back.

The correct use of the word ironic is something that I'm working on with my 12 year old daughter. :)

Thanks! I'd be lying if I said that it has always been easy, but it's definitely been worth it for me, looking back.

The correct use of the word ironic is something that I'm working on with my 12 year old daughter. :)

good luck! my daughter is 25 now but she aged me quickly starting about age 12!:)

It seems to me that if you maintained a 1,000 rating until you were masters-eligible, that would be good enough...

tangential rant- the PDGA blocking the stats of inactive members is IDIOTIC. No real sport does that.
I agree. At the very least - turn it around and set up a system where to see the statistics you need to be a current member. It isn't that hard to set up a system on the PDGA website where if a user logs in to their PDGA account, attached to their member number, they can access everyone's statistics.

I'm cool with limiting what the non-members have access to, especially considering that sites like UDisc provide the ratings for the players that "the fans" care about. But to me it seems like a far better system to provide the paying members with the full access. Not many people are going to share logins just to access their friends' stats.

It seems to me that if you maintained a 1,000 rating until you were masters-eligible, that would be good enough...
It wouldn't be, though. It would be "good enough" for a completely different list. But the ask was pretty specific here.

As I near 50, I am astounded by how good these immortals are who still can shoot 1000. Most mornings I have to emit a few grunting sounds to get my left sock and shoe on. Haven't been able to throw a baseball for two or three years now. At all. Shoulder won't allow that. Gotta underhand any ball like a grandma. 30 years ago I threw out more than half the baserunners who dared to attempt a steal against my pitchers in high school. About three or four years ago I got real sore after playing WHIFFLE BALL with the kids. The struggle is real, and having age-protected divisions is very justified!

Thank heavens the Frisbee motion is still okay! I'm just trying to stay above 900 until I can play Am Grandmasters. I've never been under 900...because the rating system started just as I was moving up from Am-2. Might as well try and keep that streak alive!

Thank heavens the Frisbee motion is still okay! I'm just trying to stay above 900 until I can play Am Grandmasters. I've never been under 900...because the rating system started just as I was moving up from Am-2. Might as well try and keep that streak alive!
I've got a similar goal. I joined the PDGA after I'd achieved a certain level of skill, and so my first rating was 900 even. I'm gonna try to avoid dipping below that as long as possible. Hoping for another 30+ years above 900 lol

I've got a similar goal. I joined the PDGA after I'd achieved a certain level of skill, and so my first rating was 900 even. I'm gonna try to avoid dipping below that as long as possible. Hoping for another 30+ years above 900 lol

I'm about to drop under 920 next week for the first time since the initial ratings (8/98) when i was 911 based on only 3 rounds. UGH!

That's a good run, biscoe. I hope I can make it to 50 before it happens to me. MA-50 eligible in 2023 for me. In the meantime, being 920 (you and me both) as older guys ain't bad! I can't drive over 300', but 180' on in I can hang with anybody. My rating now is essentially the same as it was in 1999-2000, so I feel like I'm a way better player now doing it with the carcass I have.

We have one of those annoying ageless wonders in my neighborhood. I'm pretty sure he's older than I (63), still playing lots of tournaments, and his rating has only slipped from the 990s to 958. Meanwhile, my rating wasn't that high when I was much younger, and I can't get within 50 points of it with a single hot round these days.

"My rating makes me feel 20 years younger" doesn't quite work, does it?

I guess that could depend on where one came from. For the immortals I'll bet it feels less than good to be any strokes worse than when they were tearing it up as a pro in a younger body. There are some who made to where their potential could take them back in their younger days and 20 years will for sure diminish that ceiling.

In my case I wasn't great in my physical prime, which was before the advent of YouTube and the relatively easier time one has to seek improvement these days (not to mention when speed 6 and 7 with only base plastic on Mach 3's was what we had). I'm able to shoot similarly rated rounds by cleaning up my short game, which I didn't have as a youngster. I've lost 100' on the forehands I had back then but everything else is way better. It's funny how I had a certain rating with just that one skill, and nearly the same rating as an old relatively broken down body by just the opposite skillset. I'm all about 200' on in when it comes to earning my strokes now. Short layouts in MA-40 for the win, baby!

...but back to the immortals...It will be very interesting to see if Scott Stokely can hang with the young bucks next year. I'm rooting for him big time!