• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing the wrong lie

bradharris

Team Borderland
Silver level trusted reviewer
So here's an interesting dilemma I encountered last year.

I was playing in a tournament on a hole with OB all the way up the left side of the fairway. My first throw clearly went OB early. We marked the spot where it first went OB and I threw my next shot. Again, it went OB. So I continued to inch up the line to where this one went out and threw again. This time it stayed clean and landed in the fairway. As we walked up, we saw that my second shot had actually come back inbounds and I had just thrown from the wrong spot.

So the question was how to rule this. The original lie that I should have played was still marked, disc was still on the ground. So I contended that my last throw was a practice throw penalized with one stroke and I would then play the original lie. My group disagreed and said I get a two stroke penalty for playing the wrong lie and have to stick with the throw I just made, essentially sticking me with a three stroke penalty.

Who was correct?

I'm pretty sure that once an official ruling or general consensus with the other players is made and the next shot is taken, anything discovered after that is irrelevant.
Once you throw your shot you don't get another chance at it.
Also, a provisional shot has to be called/announced/agreed upon before you throw it.

But to answer the question...

I'm fairly sure you were both wrong.
The only penalties you should have incurred were from the two OB shots.
I think the "wrong lie" thing is negated since everyone had already agreed where you went OB and what you shot was. You took that shot and that's how it should have been played/counted/carded.

I would call it a 2 stroke and play on, and next time I would make sure I found both of my discs before throwing. Also, sounds like you should change who you play with. :|

I'm pretty sure that once an official ruling or general consensus with the other players is made and the next shot is taken

It's not a case of "the cards play themselves?" My belief has been that the rule was in place in case you misplay and pick up a disc, losing the correct lie. In this case, the disc was still sitting where it came to rest, clearly in bounds and playable.

next time I would make sure I found both of my discs before throwing.

Agreed, I definitely learned that lesson.

Also, sounds like you should change who you play with. :|

I didn't have a choice, it was a tournament and that's the card I got put on.

When a disc lands near OB and the player declares it OB, then it is OB once the player makes the next throw. Even if that disc is found later, there's no penalty for playing the wrong lie. You just are thankful that you got your disc back.