• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Through Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill play through and let people play through too.

But just another question. When you are in a bigger group what size group do you let play through and how many times do you do this. Only singles and doubles? 1 single per hole? It seems like it can become a snowball effect for a big group too? I play solo most or with 1-2 people max unless its a league so Im just curious for them (big groups)...

But just another question. When you are in a bigger group what size group do you let play through and how many times do you do this. Only singles and doubles? 1 single per hole? It seems like it can become a snowball effect for a big group too? I play solo most or with 1-2 people max unless its a league so Im just curious for them (big groups)...

I let faster groups play through regardless of group size. I've played in a slow group of 3 and let a group of 5 through that were playing faster, and my wife and I play pretty quickly and often pass singles. I don't see how the number of people has anything to do with it, basic common courtesy says that if you're holding another group up let them through.

I don't judge by group size, I judge by how fast they're playing. If I'm in a threesome and a foursome comes roaring up behind us (as in they turn a 2 hole gap into nothing in no time), I'll let them go just as easily as I would a twosome. By the same token, I've been in a fast playing foursome that blew past twosomes and threesomes that were poking along "enjoying" their round.

i pretty much always play fast. solo, i likely catch twosomes that aren't at least six holes ahead.

playing with three or four , will regularly catch up to twos.

the only thing i dont like about it, is the possibility of a disc search in the next hole or two allowing them to catch back up. because i dont want to hold them up so would let them play while im searching but knowing we might do three play throughs is ugh

I used to play the trumpet and was very self conscious about playing for/with people, thankfully with the help of a friend I was able to overcome my self inflicted phobia(s) and it led to some of the best times(and one of the most valuable lessons) of my life, not to mention that playing with people better than you is an invaluable learning tool... in music, in disc golf, in everything. We were all "bad" once. We are all trying to improve. The faster you get over your fears the faster you'll improve... and frankly nobody cares if you suck at the moment... they are too worried about the state of their own game, as they should be.

I am friends with a guy who has been a professional French Horn player for 20+ years. He has played with many people, in various orchestras, who do not like the spotlight, and refuse to solo, even though they are great musicians.

Strange

Strangely enough, I usually have the opposite experience of the OP. I almost always play solo. When I catch up to a group in front of me and they tell me that I can play through, I usually make my best throw of the day (and I run down the fairway afterwards to clear the hole as quickly as possible). In Arizona, a group of three let me play through at Buffalo Ridge and I promptly hit iron off the tee on #3. Hysterical - I hope they didn't see the rest of my round as I was terrible.

When I'm playing with a group, we hate having anyone behind us.

And when you don't play through, the group ahead is feeling that urgency on all of the remaining holes, rather than you feeling it on just one hole.

This is how I feel about it. I hate having people behind me, throws off my game. I agree with the play early idea. Tyler state park, on a nice weekend, will have maybe a few people playing spread out on 30+ holes at 8am, but by noon, its likely to have a group on nearly every hole. Basically, either play early or find a less popular nine holer to play. Also, practice practice practice, get better and show groups up when they "force" you to play through. Happy discing!:thmbup:

A better way to play through, without causing as much delay, is when you catch up with a group on a tee, everybody drives and starts walking up the fairway. The person playing through plays out his disc and hustles along, then the slower group plays out theirs. This cuts the wait for the slower group in half, and can be minimal if it's a fast-playing solo player playing through.

Anyway, if stage fright means you don't want to play through, you don't have a lot of choices. Playing multiple shots on each hole, or putting practice at the end, might slow you down enough to match the pace of the group ahead of you. On a relatively uncrowded course, you might be able to skip around holes and play them out of order. Short of that, play a less-crowded course, or at less-popular times.

A better way to play through, without causing as much delay, is when you catch up with a group on a tee, everybody drives and starts walking up the fairway. The person playing through plays out his disc and hustles along, then the slower group plays out theirs. This cuts the wait for the slower group in half, and can be minimal if it's a fast-playing solo player playing through.

This.

I play solo a lot and if I play through I like this plan. Then I jog down the fairway and am quickly out of the way.

Players kind of have to understand a golf course has to work like a freeway. There are simply by nature some parties that are going to travel faster than others and its a more beneficial experience for everyone for faster parties to have access to the passing lane. When a slower (usually larger) party on the course lets you play through, this is essentially what they're doing.

So, when offered to chance to play through, its generally good etiquette to accept it. In not doing so, you're possibly contributing to other parties bottlenecking behind you.

Players kind of have to understand a golf course has to work like a freeway. There are simply by nature some parties that are going to travel faster than others and its a more beneficial experience for everyone for faster parties to have access to the passing lane. When a slower (usually larger) party on the course lets you play through, this is essentially what they're doing.

So, when offered to chance to play through, its generally good etiquette to accept it. In not doing so, you're possibly contributing to other parties bottlenecking behind you.

^^ This.

If there are people behind you and you take the well-meaning advice stated previously -- by taking more shots or practice putting on a hole you've already completed -- you become the antithesis of etiquette because they're now waiting on you.

*** BREAK ***

There's been a lot of sarcastic disdain heaped upon the OP in what may be a legitimate plea for a ruling....and that's a shame. I am appalled. I really expected better from you people.

Just kidding!

Truth be told, I expect nothing but derision, sarcasm, and the occasional homophobic picture-comment from this group. It's an awesome resource, and many of the old hands will provide invaluable advice, but when you post here you should expect to completely ignore 98% of the responses to your thread. Unless your skin is thick enough to not give a sh!t. :)

Post away, brother....and remember: F*** 'em if they can't take a joke.

I feel for the OP. There are times when I'm out there and I don't really want to interact with anyone. Until I do. I've learned over the few years that I've been playing that most people you meet on the course are pretty chill. If you make any effort at all to make friends, most people will respond positively. I've also leaned to laugh at myself when I make a bad shot. Sometimes bad shots are just funny and can end up being bonding experiences with other players. So I get it. Sometimes you just have to unpucker and have a good time and that means sometimes you have to interact with the other humans. I've made some really good friends out of people that I've randomly met on the course. You might too if you give people a chance.

this is one of the weirdest threads ive ever read. Holy **** just be a little bit social and play the game.

As for playing through I agree its like a highway. Lots of new players in bigger groups need to understand how the flow works. Ran into a gang of idiots bottle necking Blue Ribbon Pines who decided to quit halfway through thankfully but wouldn't let my buddy and I pass -- even after trying to explain to them how it all works.......

OP, wtf?!

I am friends with a guy who has been a professional French Horn player for 20+ years. He has played with many people, in various orchestras, who do not like the spotlight, and refuse to solo, even though they are great musicians.

But, and pardon the phrasing- they play with each other....

Conversely, I don't like to play alone and rely on the kindness of strangers to let me join. I'm a disc golf ambassador... or so I've been kidded. And in all my travels I've only come across two that didn't want company for a round. They were both by themselves, one said he was practicing, and the other said he wasn't very good(and immediately threw a frozen rope 300' uphill). I just realized: I'm not good enough to play a round with myself.

Last edited:
This is all mental and not necessarily a disc golf etiquette issue. First you need to realize how powerful the mind is. The mind is more powerful than any computer because it CAN be reprogrammed instantly. You are worrying too much about what others think of you. Don't assume things. Most people could care less how you throw and if they do judge you that's on them not you. The encounter is brief and forgotten about. Not an issue. You make it an issue by worrying about it. These assumptions you make lead to flawed emotions which in turn is a constraint on life. Enjoy yourself. Train your mind.

this is one of the weirdest threads ive ever read. Holy **** just be a little bit social and play the game.

As for playing through I agree its like a highway. Lots of new players in bigger groups need to understand how the flow works. Ran into a gang of idiots bottle necking Blue Ribbon Pines who decided to quit halfway through thankfully but wouldn't let my buddy and I pass -- even after trying to explain to them how it all works.......

OP, wtf?!

Would you talk like this face to face with the op? I doubt it. If you in fact do behave similiar to this then maybe I understand why the group wouldn't let you pass.

Would you talk like this face to face with the op? I doubt it. If you in fact do behave similiar to this then maybe I understand why the group wouldn't let you pass.

Exactly my thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who actually provided good input. I think the biggest thing is just trying to become as comfortable with it as possible even though I prefer rounds between only the course and I (unless I can drag my actual friends out to the course).

Status
Not open for further replies.